Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Report: Dana White: Belts not on Line with Henderson vs. Jackson

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Despite recent comments that a UFC 75 match between UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson and PRIDE champion Dan Henderson would unify the organizations’ two belts, UFC president Dana White now says that’s not the case.

LINK

Post #1   7/3/07 8:08:45AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Dana White has done so much for MMA but he's pretty unprofessional about the way he presents himself and his organization publicly. It seems ridiculous for the head of such a huge corporation to come out with official announcements and then just change his mind on the fly later on, talk massive shit about fighters that he personally doesn't like openly in the media, and swear like a sailor in every interview he ever does. He's really done a lot for the sport but if he wants it to become fully mainstream he needs to learn to act like a professional. This really isn't specifically about this one announcement, this is just an addition to his long list of highly unprofessional acts as the primary representative of this sport as a whole.

This seems like an incredibly stupid idea to me. I didn't personally think putting both belts on the line was a great idea but to put nothing at all on the line is an even worse one. They need to figure out what the hell they're doing as far as the UFC/PRIDE merger is concerned once and for all.

Last edited 7/3/07 8:25AM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/3/07 8:21:58AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

It seems ridiculous for the head of such a huge corporation to come out with official announcements and then just change his mind on the fly later on, talk massive shit about fighters that he personally doesn't like openly in the media, and swear like a sailor in every interview he ever does.

I'm on the fence about whether the belts should be on the line or not. I could be wrong, but I don't remember there being any announcement of this being a unification match...I always thought that this was just an assumption.

Post #3   7/3/07 8:34:18AM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000
I could be wrong, but I don't remember there being any announcement of this being a unification match...

Dana was asked whether or not the belts would be on the line during the press conference for UFC 72, and he explained that both belts would be on the line.

Post #4   7/3/07 8:55:43AM   

InkedUp

MMA Regular

InkedUp Avatar

Career:169-125
Chips:
I like the fact they arent on the line as it gives us the chance to have HUGE PPVs with Champ vs Champ to simply prove which promotion has the best fighters.

Post #5   7/3/07 9:06:35AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by NME

Posted by grappler0000
I could be wrong, but I don't remember there being any announcement of this being a unification match...

Dana was asked whether or not the belts would be on the line during the press conference for UFC 72, and he explained that both belts would be on the line.

OK...fair enough. BTW, you have the best avatar in the history of man.

Post #6   7/3/07 9:07:14AM   

boob

MMA Regular

boob Avatar

Career:849-537
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:
If they dont unify the belts they will have a situation like boxing has where nobody knows the true champion because there is belts for everything!

Post #7   7/3/07 9:11:40AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
yeah he did say it. I personally thought putting both belts on the line was a stupid idea to begin with, but one of them should definitely be on the line and I still maintain that making announcements publicly and then rescinding them without any real reason is highly unprofessional.

Post #8   7/3/07 9:13:51AM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,375-811
Chips:
Agree with all of your comments about Dana. I really do like the guy and I think he's done so much for the UFC and MMA that he can be forgiven for his missteps. However, he needs to work on his brain to mouth filter and think about what he says before he spouts them off to the press. I think he has some awesome ideas circulating in his head but he needs to think them through before he opens his mouth.

Post #9   7/3/07 9:32:47AM   

InkedUp

MMA Regular

InkedUp Avatar

Career:169-125
Chips:
Yeah, Dana does seem to say one thing only to rescind it a few wekks later, but thats what I love about the man. He has so many ideas going on in that little head of his that even he doesnt realize what hes agreed to or said half the time til someone quotes it back to him

Post #10   7/3/07 10:22:52AM   

spider1179

MMA Regular

spider1179 Avatar

Career:788-526
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Dana White has done so much for MMA but he's pretty unprofessional about the way he presents himself and his organization publicly. It seems ridiculous for the head of such a huge corporation to come out with official announcements and then just change his mind on the fly later on, talk massive shit about fighters that he personally doesn't like openly in the media, and swear like a sailor in every interview he ever does. He's really done a lot for the sport but if he wants it to become fully mainstream he needs to learn to act like a professional. This really isn't specifically about this one announcement, this is just an addition to his long list of highly unprofessional acts as the primary representative of this sport as a whole.

This seems like an incredibly stupid idea to me. I didn't personally think putting both belts on the line was a great idea but to put nothing at all on the line is an even worse one. They need to figure out what the hell they're doing as far as the UFC/PRIDE merger is concerned once and for all.

I read the article in the link and am wondering where in this was Dana's so called unprofessionalism. I'm not disputing the fact that he cusses like a sailor, but what does this have to do with this article or this discussion???

Post #11   7/3/07 11:23:19AM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
Since he is respecting both champs, does this mean that henderson is going back to pride if he still has the belts, becuz if henderson stays the belts in pride should be vacated...

Post #12   7/3/07 1:41:58PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
A possible outcome of this is that if Rampage loses, nobody will respect him as the champ anymore.
But I think what's really going on is Henderson wants to eventually stay at the 185 class. Now is the chance to have this "what if" fight before Henderson enters the Middleweight division.

Post #13   7/3/07 1:43:07PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Since he is respecting both champs, does this mean that henderson is going back to pride if he still has the belts, becuz if henderson stays the belts in pride should be vacated...

Think about it... who is left in Pride? All the fighters are leaving, and if they're not yet in the UFC, they soon will be. Functionally speaking, Pride can no longer exist unless it becomes a watered down organization like the smaller orgs.

Post #14   7/3/07 1:45:48PM   

Zvonimir

MMA Regular

Zvonimir Avatar

Career:279-164
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
One of the things I always liked better about the UFC was that UFC was always able to say "We don't have non-title fights" Now they can't.

This announcement is good in the sense that it provides a tiny glimmer of hope that PRIDE will be back.

Its bad in the sense that if QRJ loses no one will respect him as Champ.

Im disappointed, they should have unified the belts. Having less belts makes each belt worth more, IMO.

Does anyone know if it will still be a 5 rounder?

Last edited 7/3/07 2:39PM server time by Zvonimir
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #15   7/3/07 2:38:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2