Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

NHL Free Agency Discussion

Print  
Posted By Message

BigE

Learning to Sprawl

BigE Avatar

Career:52-41
Chips:
For those avid hockey fans out there, I felt a discussion was warranted:

Gomez and Drury to the Rangers.

Briere, Smith, Lupul to the Flyers.

Bertuzzi and Schneider to the Ducks.

Blake to the Leafs.

For a full breakdown see here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=4965

Personally, I'm a huge Rangers fan so I couldn't be more excited. Although, I'll admit I'm slightly cautious with our previous history and the contract amounts. I hope these two centerman turn out to be exactly what we need.

The Flyers have improved this off-season, no doubt. Yet, I question the cap-soundness of putting $25+ miliion into a handful of players: Hartnell, Timmonen, Biron, and now Briere (then consider Hatcher, Gagne, etc.)...

So, what are your thoughts?

Post #1   7/3/07 2:01:04AM   

Tons33

MMA Regular

Tons33 Avatar

Career:30-13
Camp: East Coast Top Team
Chips:
Big ranger fan here, cant wait to see gomez and jagr play together

Post #2   7/3/07 4:32:49PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Tons33

Big ranger fan here, cant wait to see gomez and jagr play together

My thoughts in general are

1) I don't know what the hell Managment in the Devils, Stars and Sabres clubs are thinking. At least most of the talent is leaving the Eastern conference and more specifically leaving/staying out of the Eastern Division.

2) Leafs picking up Blake. Man, this has to be the only good signing they've done in the past several seasons. I think the last one was Belfour.

3) Gomez going to the Rangers. Man, that must be hurting Jersey fans right now.

Post #3   7/3/07 6:28:32PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Straka-Gomez-Jagr
Avery-Drury-Shanahan.

Any other Ranger fans really happy?

Briere to Philly doesn't make them any better, and Bertuzzi is a waste of space in Anaheim. Mathieu Schnieder going to Anaheim was a smart move for the Ducks, with the uncertainty of Scott Niedermeyer's return. Paul Kariya going to St. Louis isn't much help for them, maybe now they can win a shootout or something... Dainus Zubrus to New Jersey is a good move, but he is no Gomez. Also, Ryan Smyth going to Colorado is a good move for the Avs, he is a great fit, and will be a great asset to them. Robert Lang in Chicago was a decent pick, but won't be that big of a change.

Post #4   7/3/07 7:02:01PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
2) Leafs picking up Blake. Man, this has to be the only good signing they've done in the past several seasons. I think the last one was Belfour.

toskala gets the gey leafs to the playoffs

and this is the edit avery is a center

Last edited 7/4/07 4:15AM server time by nastshabast
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   7/4/07 4:14:27AM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
What about the PENS !!!!!!! Sykora and Sydor....they passed on Kariya..cause why pay him 4 million a year when they got these 2 to be more of role players we have enough superstars.either way........Lord Stanley will be in Pittsburgh soon....Whitney locked up for 6 years...yeah...I read an interview with Crosby on the penguins.com and he has no desire to ever leave the burgh and he said he doesnt want some ridiculous contract becuase he wants to play with staal and malkin for along time...Pittsburgh being a small market people here dont bother athletes like other big cities...they treat everyone normal...thats why he likes it here.

and the rangers can dump 564564564 million on their payroll and still not win the cup...every season the rangers get big free agents and still not win....they had a nice run last year...but good luck cause the PENS will be #1 in the atlantic..

Last edited 7/4/07 11:55AM server time by 40ouncetofreedom
Edit note/reason: WAR PENS

Post #6   7/4/07 11:53:33AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by nastshabast

toskala gets the gey leafs to the playoffs

I don't get it.

Post #7   7/4/07 1:36:19PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
if the 27 comes back in Anaheim with schnieder added and bert back playing under brian burke and a physical ducks system .....look the fok out, im not a ducks fan but what burke is doing there is just sick.... also im thinking selanne will play another season, so that team just keeps getting nasty to play against.....and to think that they just missed out on the chance to draft crosby and had to settle for bobby ryan at 2 the year they had the draft after the lockout

Post #8   7/8/07 3:34:48PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nastshabast

So your saying just because he's listed as center means he has to play center? Drury/Gomez are WAY better centers then Avery is, Avery is gonna get stuck to the wing, with Drury/Gomez/Cullen/Betts as the centers...

Post #9   7/8/07 6:26:29PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Chips:
nope their gonna deal cullen and avery is a sweet 3rd line centre the guy has amazing wheels......and if you can support him with a couple other checkers that can move their feet like him......bang match that line up aginst the other teams top line every chance you get. Let the other teams #1 centres deal with the wrath of avery, as long as he stays disciplined.

Straka/Drury/Jags

Shanny/Gomez/Prucha

--- Avery has to be on the 3rd line.....he may play wing with Betts centre but there's a reason they signed prucha and the lucky on the stick........for him and shanny to put away sweet feeds from Gomer

Post #10   7/13/07 11:03:59PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Chips:
I hope the Rangers line's look something like this.

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Prucha-Gomez-Shanahan
Avery-Cullen-Hossa
No clue about the 4th line...thats always a mix n' match.

Rozsival-Malik(who I hate deeply)
Mara-Tyutin
Girardi-Pock

Post #11   7/13/07 11:15:43PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:

Posted by DJDark41

I hope the Rangers line's look something like this.

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Prucha-Gomez-Shanahan
Avery-Cullen-Hossa
No clue about the 4th line...thats always a mix n' match.

Rozsival-Malik(who I hate deeply)
Mara-Tyutin
Girardi-Pock

cullen will get dealt soon.....rangers are dumb if avery isn't the third line c

Post #12   7/14/07 1:00:30AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Chips:
Yeah i think their dealing Cullen though so Betts would slide nicely into that spot.....Yes Malik is mos definitely a sack and disgusting to watch but he gets in the way a lot and somehow manages a sweet +/-, they have Marc Staal coming up and I'm certain he cracks the line up next year and he will play his way into a top 4Dman role right away . He's gonna be just sick good in a couple years. Also Nigel Dawes too......small skilled forward who can snipe..... Cherepanov also they snagged in this years draft...that could have been a huge steal

Post #13   7/14/07 1:02:10AM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Chips:
Cherepanov isn't gonna play till 08-09, most likely. I think Marc Staal might play this year, and I'm not so sure about Cullen though. He's done pretty good with the Rangers, I hope they keep him.

Post #14   7/14/07 11:37:57AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Chips:
Yeah the young russian is staying home this year but when he does come look the fok out ........culllen got dealt today, as expected, but yeah young staal will make the team and will be one of their best dman......

Post #15   7/17/07 5:40:25PM