Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Words from Roy Jones Jr.

Print  
Posted By Message

cincyassasin

MMA Regular

cincyassasin Avatar

Career:1,170-865
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:
"I watch it all the time. They have the best fighters fighting the best fighters and that's what boxing needs. You never can tell what will happen in a fight. Look at the last [Chuck] Liddell fight. Bam, 10 seconds it was over. They got that explosion they were waiting for. Boxing didn't get the same explosion out of Mayweather-De La Hoya," Jones said.

"UFC is a great thing, but boxing has to get on it's a game. UFC is the best fighting the best and that what boxing has to do. If you are an ultimate fighter, you are going to fight someone who is going to fight. In UFC, if you lose to a good fighter, you lost, you still know you are good fighter, and you come back the next day and fight again. In boxing, if you lose and that's it. You are done.I lose a few fights they want to tell me I'm washed up and I don't have it no more."

Jones was realistic when asked about his chances in a UFC ring. He knows that he is vulnerable on the ground and possesses a clear advantage if the fight stays on top.

"Now, I can't get on the ground and start wresting because I know nothing about that. But if I hit him before he gets to the ground, he's not going to get up and have the chance to wrestle," Jones said.

Boxingscene.com

Post #1   7/3/07 1:44:20AM   

BigE

Learning to Sprawl

BigE Avatar

Career:52-41
Chips:
I can respect a guy for being honest, and from those comments I fully agree: any boxer worth his salt will put a UFC fighter (some exceptions of course) down for the count if presented with the stand-up opportunity, but they're susceptible to kicks, slams, and the entire ground game.

Props to him for not spewing more bullshit.

Post #2   7/3/07 1:53:24AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It' s to bad he never had a great contemporart to fight. I think it will tarnish his legend. Fastest hands I ever saw at middleweight, and talk about unothodox.Anyway, this is not a UFC/Pride topic , so off to the lounge.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   7/3/07 2:25:42AM   

Violentcuv

In Full Mount

Violentcuv Avatar

Career:828-495
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
Nice words from Superman.

I respect him even more now after reading that. I liked the guy before that, but not trying to act like boxing is better than MMA is a good thing from a high profile boxer.

Post #4   7/3/07 7:06:21AM   

ButterBalls

Jiu-Jistu Bean

ButterBalls Avatar

Career:265-159
Chips:
mad props to Roy, now I remember why I always liked that guy.

Post #5   7/3/07 8:46:38AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
my all-time favourite boxer. No surprise he's as frank and truthful as he is here.

Post #6   7/3/07 8:57:08AM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,375-811
Chips:
Top 5 pound for pound greatest boxers ever ... and he was in the Matrix movies :)

Post #7   7/3/07 10:59:02AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
It's nice to finally hear that boxers can also be combat sports fans in general... It would if this might actually bring up some talks about how boxing was ruined by promoters and greed... I love MMA, but I also love to watch a compelling boxing match... And it would be nice if something could bring some interest back into the sport

Post #8   7/3/07 11:24:26AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
How old is he? Maybe he should get together with Chuck and learn how to sprawl.

Post #9   7/3/07 1:19:34PM   

komodo20

MMA Regular

komodo20 Avatar

Career:1,422-1,025
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:
Roy Jones is one of the best boxing ever and he is right what he said.

Post #10   7/3/07 5:42:41PM   

komodo20

MMA Regular

komodo20 Avatar

Career:1,422-1,025
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:
I liked watching Roy Jones jr fights and watching him knockout some boxers and i think he should do more mma fights he has one fight in mma that he won by TKO Strikes.

Post #11   7/3/07 5:53:26PM