Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shields: Palhares is a dirty, mentally weak bully

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,124-1,476
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
“Palhares is a guy I don’t really care for; He’s a dirty guy who likes hurting people then he plays the nice guy after he breaks their legs,” said Shields to Mike Bohn for MMAjunkie on today’s WSoF 22 media call. “He’s a bad person so it makes me want to go out there and punch him. … I might not care for Palhares, but he is extremely good at leg locks.”

link

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   7/24/15 12:26:36PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,603-2,098
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Jake must not remember what happened to the legs of the last 2 dudes that called Paul Harris dirty. In all honesty, Paul Harris would be the last person in the world I would call names before a fight. Dude can end your fucking career, call him names if you can still stand on two feet after the fight but by no means, not before.

Post #2   7/24/15 12:37:35PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,124-1,476
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I sure hope Shields puts this guy to sleep. Never been a fan of Palhares, I know his upbringing is something out of a movie, but still. Shit like that, you cannot let it haunt you that long.

Post #3   7/24/15 12:59:51PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:2,068-1,298
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Palhares is the one of the best WWs in the world, and all this stuff about him being a dirty fighter is a load of crap. The only time he ever held a lock too long was against Drwal, and even that was a matter of 2 seconds.

If fighters don't want to get their legs ripped off they should tap sooner, end of story. The only reason Rousimar isn't in the UFC is because he was too dominant. It's not his job to stop when the opponent taps, it's when the REF tells him to stop, which he did flawlessly in all but the aforementioned bout.

Personally I hope he does the same to Shields, as Jake is roughly as boring as the come, but I'm guessing he's wise enough on the ground to know when he's beat.

Post #4   7/24/15 3:22:56PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
The UFC isn't in the business of cutting dominate fighters. In fact he only had one win at WW in the UFC. Lombard who is now a ww put him to bed. Not sure dominate is the word. Ass hole is the one I think you're looking for.

Post #5   7/24/15 4:06:42PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,930-3,258
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The kid is delusional, Palhares is one of the dirtiest fighters out there.

Post #6   7/24/15 4:11:18PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,603-2,098
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by postman

The UFC isn't in the business of cutting dominate fighters. In fact he only had one win at WW in the UFC. Lombard who is now a ww put him to bed. Not sure dominate is the word. Ass hole is the one I think you're looking for.

Uhhhhhhhhh he only had the one fight at WW and he looked beastly and it is bullshit that the UFC would cut him to preserve their image when Dana White goes on twitter to troll fans.

Post #7   7/24/15 4:30:52PM   

Gumby90

Hello

Gumby90 Avatar

Career:3-1
Chips:
First of all, the word is dominant, DOMINANT GODDAMNIT!

Secondly, the UFC didn't cut him for being dirty, they cut him for potentially crippling their contenders. Also, like Babalu and when they bullshit excuse cut him, they pretty much only got rid of Palharas because he could beat everyone not in the top 3.

That makes matchmaking hard. Especially when trying to protect peoples knees.

Post #8   7/24/15 6:10:19PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Palhares is the one of the best WWs in the world, and all this stuff about him being a dirty fighter is a load of crap. The only time he ever held a lock too long was against Drwal, and even that was a matter of 2 seconds.

If fighters don't want to get their legs ripped off they should tap sooner, end of story. The only reason Rousimar isn't in the UFC is because he was too dominant. It's not his job to stop when the opponent taps, it's when the REF tells him to stop, which he did flawlessly in all but the aforementioned bout.

Personally I hope he does the same to Shields, as Jake is roughly as boring as the come, but I'm guessing he's wise enough on the ground to know when he's beat.

I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction here: you don't grapple.

Palhares is absolutely dirty. He ROUTINELY holds leg locks for too long.

You've got to be careful with those. You can ruin someone's life.

Post #9   7/24/15 7:21:07PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

The UFC isn't in the habit of cutting guys because they're too "dominant", those are the guys they tend to sign not release.

You must have missed his fight with Pierce who tapped a total of 8 times before Rousimar stopped cranking the submission.

He had already been suspended for doing it vs Drwal and was coming off of a suspension for PED's when finally got his walking papers for doing it vs Pierce.

I enjoy watching him fight because his leg locks are terrifying, but he was cut because he was unable to follow the rules, not because he was too good of a fighter.

Post #10   7/24/15 8:01:51PM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Career:1,467-756
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Total B.S. He put an extra crank on almost every one of his wins. Guess you didnt see Mike Pierce fight him, and no one else has seen him fight since the dirty bastard ended his career with another small "matter of 2 seconds".

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   7/24/15 8:12:36PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
I grapple 3-5 days a week, completely understand the danger of leg locks, and have been knee barred myself to the point of injury. I can tell you right now the only person at fault for that injury was me. My opponent clearly had the lock in, I chose to fight it rather than tap, and by the time I felt the pain my knee was already f'd.

I've watched every Palhares fight since 2008 and the only one even questionable was the Drwal fight were the ref had to pull twice to make Rousimar let go. Tap included the whole incident occurred in less than 2 seconds.

The only reason people complain about this is because they listened to Rogan counting the seconds of the hold during the SLOW MOTION after which he berates Palhares for being dirty. I wish people would look at the fights for themselves and realize that everyone Rousimar leg locked had an opportunity to tap well before the an injury occurred.

I find it sad that this man is demonized for only doing his job, and doing it well. It's too bad Palhares isn't pretty like Rousey, he'd be the champ and everyone would love him for breaking peoples limbs off.

Post #12   7/24/15 8:13:26PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
I will also reiterate again that it's not his job to let go when the opponent taps, but when the ref physically separates them. If you have some problem with the rules don't take it out on the fighters. People try to hide the tap all the time in MMA to get their opponent to release the hold, so unless they are going to instant replay when one fight says the other tapped I don't really see a way around this. Regardless Rousimar didn't get cut from the UFC for holding leg locks, he got cut for being too scary to watch, and not speaking English, if he could fix those two issues they would never have even considered it.

Post #13   7/24/15 8:29:50PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,779-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree with JB here. It's a fucken fight. Palhares thing is leg locks. When you are in that state of mind in a fight all you are thinking about is getting that tap and using all your strength to do so, adrenaline is a crazy drug.
Same exact thing could be said about guys landing punches after they have been clearly knocked out ( which happens quite a bit but nobody kicks up a stink about that ) you could argue the punch to bispings face by hendo was immensely more reckless than what palhares ever did and also clearly more deliberate as he even stated in the post fight interview jokingly. No one kicked up a fuss about that though.
Palhares may be a bit of a brute but I put it down to the level of aggression and adrenaline he is feeling whilst in the fight.

Last edited 7/24/15 8:48PM server time by aussiemma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   7/24/15 8:40:31PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
Also wanted to add that Mike Pierce was completely fine and back to full training less than month after his fight as Rousimar released the pressure from the hold as soon as Mike tapped, but waited until the ref separated them to release it. He was scheduled to fight Maia in May but broke his hand in March which is what has kept him out to current.

Post #15   7/24/15 8:45:29PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4