Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

I am going nuts with this

Print  
Should the mods be able to merge multiple thrads on the same topic?
Yes 35 83%
No 7 17%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
ok, something has to be said, because the last few days have been horrible.

If you are going to start a new thread please look at the last two pages (at least) to see if someone else has already posted that topic.

There have been at least a half dozen threads (some with nearly identical titles) posted on the same pages in the same forum.

It's one thing if the original thread was made a month ago, but there are threads being made (and made again) in the same day.

Here are some examples -

UFC and Pride Forum - first two pages
Hendo vs. Rampage
Jackson and Henderson. Who is gonna win? (Pages: 1 2 3)

Was Gray Maynard out?
who thinks grey was out?
gray won
Mazzagatti explains Maynard-Emerson Ending

UFC 73: Rashad Vs. Tito
ORTIZ Vs RASHAD
Tito Ortiz: I’ll Put Rashad Evans “in a Wheelchair” at UFC 73

Sherk or Franca?

-- and If I look back to page 4 (which is still only less than a week ago, I see multiple threads on Manny vs. Nate and more Gray Maynard threads.

MMA Lounge - first two pages
Nate Diaz vs Chris Horodecki (what if)
Hermes Franca Or Sean Sherk???

Spoilers Forum - first page
Robert Emerson vs. Gray Maynard result

Other Orgs - first two pages
Faber vs. Horodecki
Chris Horodecki

Strikeforce: Shamrock v. Baroni Video
shamrock vs baroni
Torn ACL?????
baroni medical ?????'s
frank shamrock vs phil baroni

filho vs doerkson at WEC
Doerksen is gonna roll Filho!!!!!

I mean, do we really need all those threads on the same subjects? How many threads do we need on Gray Maynard and Chris Horodecki?

Do the mods have the option of merging threads like in other forums? I think this would be a great way to keep things a little easier to follow. In fact I introduced it as a poll.

I don't like looking like the cranky forum guy, but I hate logging on and having to sift through dozens of threads that are duplicates of ones already in effect and ones that I have already replied to.

Last edited 6/28/07 5:41PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: Tried to fix the spelling mistake in the poll question...

Post #1   6/28/07 5:40:46PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
I totally agree. Great points.

"The more the merrier" doesn't go on everything. It certainly doesn't on forums.

Post #2   6/28/07 5:52:00PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Trust me, we all want the merge option...

Post #3   6/28/07 6:05:30PM   

Piccosaur

MMA Regular

Piccosaur Avatar

Career:3-1
Camp: RB Fighting Systems
Chips:
Just give out punishments to those who make threads that already exist.

Post #4   6/28/07 6:13:27PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I agree, mostly... But while multiple threads are a pain in the ass, sifting through many many pages of a thread can be equally irritating...

I'm ok with new threads if they contain new concrete info... ie: interviews, fighter payouts, something like that... I might miss going through multiple pages...

But I can't agree more, that seeing Hendo vs Rampage and Rampage vs Hendo right under eachother is stupid, and actually takes away from some possibly good debates...

Oh, and I am defending myself a little here... I just posted a Shamrock Baroni thread, but in my defense, I only wanted people to know it was reairring this weekend please don't punish me

Post #5   6/28/07 6:33:05PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
no they should not merge, is'nt that why they always delete?

Post #6   6/28/07 6:38:48PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jdubs

no they should not merge, is'nt that why they always delete?

But what if there is a really good post in more than one duplicate thread? While I think it is fair to kill the initial post if it doesn't contain new information, it's not fair to delete a legitimate post made by a bystander (not the person that started the duplicate thread)

I'm not one for just going an deleting threads as sometimes it is a new member and they made a mistake. Likewise to delete a thread if it got out of hand is not good either as many valid posts are lost in the process.

Post #7   6/28/07 7:14:48PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Oh, and I am defending myself a little here... I just posted a Shamrock Baroni thread, but in my defense, I only wanted people to know it was reairring this weekend please don't punish me

BA-DUM-CHHHH

Post #8   6/28/07 8:24:35PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

BA-DUM-CHHHH

<tap><tap><tap>...Hello??? Is this thing on?

Post #9   6/29/07 10:36:26AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Trust me, we all want the merge option...

Merge this Richie
your lucky im to lazy to type out the finger thing with / and ().
J/k

Post #10   6/29/07 4:46:00PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I totally agree, as I spend a lot of time deleting repeat threads and sending the starters messages. This is forum rule number 10 in the forum code of conduct. it would make my life easier if people abided by it. If people don't reply to the the repeat threads it makes it a lot easier to delete them quickly. The Rashad Tito threads alone that I have deleted are mindboggling. If you any of you see repeat threads feel free to report them to us. So to everyone who reads this, please do me a favor and take this rule to heart. Thanks

10. Please check the first 5 pages of the UFC/Pride forum, and the first 3 of any other forum for a related topic, before starting a new thread.We only have so much space ,and would like to keep the discussion going, without people having to constantly repeat themselves. If you add your thoughts to the existing thread it will refresh to the top of the front page.

Last edited 6/29/07 4:51PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #11   6/29/07 4:48:45PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Heh, it's funny cause even though at least two of those threads are mine...( Diaz v. Horodecki hadn't been discussed on any forum at that time that I could find. And I posted the original Hendo v. Rampage thread on this site the night it was announced.) I agree with you, for the most part.

The mods do and should merge threads on the same topic.

However, where do we draw the line? Should all topics about a fighter be merged into one big topic? Type in topic only "Tito" "Ortiz" on the forum search.

There is a reason the Dewey Decimal System goes beyond the hundred digit. Sub-division of big topics allows you to find the things relevent to what you want to talk about and I don't think anyone thinks thats bad.

All the same, having multiple topics on the same small subject is not good.

Last edited 7/1/07 2:22AM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   7/1/07 2:20:48AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
We don't have a merge function yet. The main programmer is still really busy updating the new system, but I think he'll get to it when he can.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   7/1/07 3:58:28AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Heh, it's funny cause even though at least two of those threads are mine...( Diaz v. Horodecki hadn't been discussed on any forum at that time that I could find. And I posted the original Hendo v. Rampage thread on this site the night it was announced.) I agree with you, for the most part.

The mods do and should merge threads on the same topic.

However, where do we draw the line? Should all topics about a fighter be merged into one big topic? Type in topic only "Tito" "Ortiz" on the forum search.

There is a reason the Dewey Decimal System goes beyond the hundred digit. Sub-division of big topics allows you to find the things relevent to what you want to talk about and I don't think anyone thinks thats bad.

All the same, having multiple topics on the same small subject is not good.

Where do you draw the line? I think that's an easy question to answer. Basically, I think any multiple thread on Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad should be merged, but not a thread on Tito Ortiz and some other incident (with a thread about Rashad). You follow me?

I think even used in only the obvious situations a merge function will help a lot. I also vote for a thread lock system for those threads that would normally get trashed.

I would also like a separate forum for the fighter vs. fighter threads. I generally don't like reading or posting those and it would be easier to sift through those if they were tucked away in their own area. But that's just me.

Post #14   7/2/07 10:14:48PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
I think that this site is still small enough that we dont need to merge or delete topics just yet.

"a UFC 73 RASHAD vs TITO",and a "Rashad vs Tito...who wins?" on the same page i have a problem with,but a "Tito..."I will put Rashad in a wheelchair".." mixed in with one of those i dont have a problem with

that is just people that want to report NEWS...and there is nothing wrong with that....like pv3Hpv3p said..sometimes when a thread is 3+ pages long people just dont go there often enough and they start to collect dust.

Same with PINNED topics...as soon as they get pinned people seem to ignore them..including myself

so i vote no...thats it

Post #15   7/3/07 6:38:46PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2