Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

North Carolina MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

InkedUp

MMA Regular

InkedUp Avatar

Career:169-125
Chips:
Anyone know of any MMA things going on in this state? Myself and a few guys I work with are looking to attend, even possibly fight in, something around here besides the local toughman contests which are jokes anyways.

Post #1   6/28/07 8:06:38AM   

kingleroy

Learning to Sprawl

kingleroy Avatar

Career:112-54
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
MMA events are currently banned in NC. There's been some lobbying to change that, but I don't know how organized the effort is. There's a lot of talent down there, so you can find excellent fight training, but for fights you need to go out of state.

Team ROC is Gracie affiliated (under Royce) and they've got folks all over the Piedmont.

Jason Culbreth and Billy Dowey (both brown belts under Royce) teach out of the Raleigh Crossfit facility. I believe they've done some fight promotion in the past, and there are pro fighters training under them. The "news" section of the CrossfitNC site often has info on events that their fighters are involved with. There are still grappling tourneys in NC, and MMA in Virginia.

Post #2   6/28/07 12:54:55PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
you could always hook up with reggie warren jr... he is in the asheville area

Post #3   6/28/07 6:42:07PM   

kingleroy

Learning to Sprawl

kingleroy Avatar

Career:112-54
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:

Posted by jdubs

you could always hook up with reggie warren jr... he is in the asheville area

Billy Wicks and Johnny Huskey are in Asheville too if you're interested in old school catch-as-catch-can.

Post #4   6/28/07 11:27:51PM   

InkedUp

MMA Regular

InkedUp Avatar

Career:169-125
Chips:
See, thats exactly the problem with this state. First they ban MMA in general after the UFC held an event at the old Charlotte Coliseum way back when and have no idea what it today compared to then. All that leads to is the trainers being hard to come by, and when your like me and live in the triad, there are none. i got a friend that lives in Raliegh that trains with some of the ROC guys from time to time, but hes more of a "just so it to say I did it" person with no real respect for what all the fighters go through.

Post #5   6/29/07 7:16:22AM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
what region of nc are you in

Post #6   6/29/07 8:45:17AM