Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Thiago Silva free, all charges against him dropped.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Thiago Silva, the former UFC light heavyweight contender who was arrested in early-February and subsequently cut from the UFC, is once again a free man.

A Florida judge dropped all charges levied against Silva stemming from an alleged altercation with Silva's estranged wife, Thaysa Kamiji, and her partner, Pablo Popovitch, outside of Popovitch's mixed martial arts school in Fort Lauderdale, MMAFighting.com confirmed on Thursday following an initial report by TMZ.

link

Post #1   9/4/14 4:58:43PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:
Turns out his ex has apparently left the country and stopped cooperating with the prosecution so they had no choice but drop the charges.

I doubt Dana will change his mind about keeping him out of the UFC, but a few wins in WSOF or another feeder org. might change his mind.

Post #2   9/4/14 5:00:37PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Wow. Lucky dude.

I think wsof or bellator will pick him up

Post #3   9/4/14 5:12:57PM   

Owens92x

In Full Mount

Owens92x Avatar

Career:271-157
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Did I hear Thiago Silva vs Tyrone Spong?

YES PLEASE!

Post #4   9/4/14 6:27:58PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Someone was definitely looking out for this guy thats for sure

Post #5   9/4/14 7:09:56PM   

roofer1967

MMA Regular

roofer1967 Avatar

Career:944-574
Camp: Frontline
Chips:
Wow money talks!! I don't see him back in the UFC anytime soon though.

Post #6   9/4/14 8:16:24PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,519-865
Chips:
Nice to see he won't be charged since I'm a big fan but have to agree with Roofer, there is not the best chance we'll be seeing him in the UFC, for a long time anyway. I'm not even so sure Bellator or WSOF would pick him up for at least a year when this isn't so fresh in people's minds.

Post #7   9/4/14 8:54:38PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,955-937
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Regardless of the specifics of this case it should be a lesson to the UFC in snap reactions before the trial.

What the UFC needs to do is basically suspend fighters pending the outcome of trials. Permanently banning a fighter from the UFC for something that they never get found guilty of just looks embarrassing to the UFC. Silva may have had the cut coming for other reasons as well, but the final straw really should have been something much more tangible. Innocent until proven guilty really is the only way to treat fighters if the UFC wants to have a professional image.

Post #8   9/4/14 9:39:22PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Regardless of the specifics of this case it should be a lesson to the UFC in snap reactions before the trial.

What the UFC needs to do is basically suspend fighters pending the outcome of trials. Permanently banning a fighter from the UFC for something that they never get found guilty of just looks embarrassing to the UFC. Silva may have had the cut coming for other reasons as well, but the final straw really should have been something much more tangible. Innocent until proven guilty really is the only way to treat fighters if the UFC wants to have a professional image.

Let's be real here...Silva was guilty of what he did and I fully support his banning from the UFC.

The only reason he's not in a cell is because his ex left the country rather than testifying against him.

Should Bellator re-hire War Machine if Christie Mack refuses to testify against him and his charges are dropped?

Post #9   9/4/14 11:10:34PM   

handyman293

Standup Guy

handyman293 Avatar

Career:229-134
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by OnyxShadow

Let's be real here...Silva was guilty of what he did and I fully support his banning from the UFC.

The only reason he's not in a cell is because his ex left the country rather than testifying against him.

Should Bellator re-hire War Machine if Christie Mack refuses to testify against him and his charges are dropped?

This, just because the witness fled the country, doesn't mean he didn't do it. He was a beast early on, but injuries and cheating caught up with him. Who submits a non human urine test? Thiago.

Post #10   9/4/14 11:23:55PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:

Posted by handyman293
Who submits a non human urine test?

Post #11   9/5/14 12:15:49AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Chips:
First:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by OnyxShadow

Second, you both make valid points...no he shouldn't have had a knee jerk reaction and just cut the guy without knowing guilt/innocence , on the flip side yes he should definitely have been cut because he is guilty at least in the public ' s eye. He probably should have been cut earlier due to the drug use but at this point it's whatever...

Post #12   9/5/14 1:54:24AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,955-937
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
The problem is that too many times people have been accused of something, a ton of people just assumed guilt, and then later they were found innocent. The UFC would lose nothing by simply suspending guys accused of serious crimes pending the outcome of their trial. That way they don't give those fighters any business if convicted, but they are still treating them fairly if they aren't.

Furthermore, I don't think its right to ever punish someone that hasn't been convicted. The court of public opinion is an unjust, unforgiving bitch. Any organization that seeks legitimacy should strive to be better than that. If that means you retain a fighter that some people think should have been put behind bars (but wasn't) then that is the right thing to do. If the fighter is THAT bad, you can always just cut him after the next time he steps even the slightest bit out of line. Let's face it. That never takes too long. How long can any hot-headed idiot fighter go without missing weight, failing a drug test, saying something rude on Twitter, or actually being found guilty of something else?

Last edited 9/5/14 2:39AM server time by OnyxShadow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   9/5/14 2:38:52AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
As one of the very few Americans who actually believes anymore in the principal of innocent until proven guilty, I think his job with the UFC should be on the table.

Post #14   9/5/14 3:18:29PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

As one of the very few Americans who actually believes anymore in the principal of innocent until proven guilty, I think his job with the UFC should be on the table.

What about War Machine? Should his Job still be on the table too?

I might agree if he was tried and found not guilty based on evidence, but in this instance I think Silva should be thankful he gets to resume a normal life.

You're innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of the law...not in the eyes of your employer.

Last edited 9/5/14 4:37PM server time by FlashyG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   9/5/14 4:37:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2