Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

To all those saying "dumping ice on your head doesn't matter"

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Link

Post #1   8/20/14 10:16:03PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
Lolz, has anyone actually said that?

Post #2   8/21/14 7:06:54AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Lolz, has anyone actually said that?

Yep. my Buddy Nick did in the thread I challenged you in

Post #3   8/21/14 1:05:34PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
Did he say donating doesn't matter or that he doesn't like the whole Facebook aspect of it?
Without getting too political here's some food for thought regarding funding
source

Last edited 8/21/14 2:55PM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/21/14 2:48:44PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,300-892
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I will say that, donating does matter but what it has taken to move people to action is not something I really like. It's a facebook shame spam gimmick anyone with a lot of friends on facebook has seen a hundred times before. It's kind of an affluent thing. A lot of look at me stuff going on with things like this, because at the end of the day, facebook "take up my cause or shame on you" spam has been prevelent for years, this is just the one that went hot. You'd be a dick for nominating poor people you know with out smart phones and social media accounts. It's good that this is getting some money to one of the many debilitating ailments out there, but for a lot of people, it a me thing, something that will look great in their online resume next to last years Harlem shake video, and the year befores Tebowing picture and their planking picture from before that. There isn't too much of anything genuine going on that I have seen, it's people being trendy and people wanting to sell their name or brand for the most part. This started a month ago and a lot of people who were doing had no idea it was even about ALS, it was simply the next facebook fad they had to make sure people knew they were part of. I've even seen someone do it twice so they could make sure everyone knew they cared about ALS since they didn't mention it last time. Go donate your time and maybe your money to what matters most to you, not what a gimmick says you should. If that is ALS, great, if it's leukemia, go for it, Alzheimer's, whatever, do what you need to on your own terms.

Last edited 8/21/14 3:15PM server time by GDPofMPG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   8/21/14 3:11:44PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Did he say donating doesn't matter or that he doesn't like the whole Facebook aspect of it?
source

No, he said he was gonna donated and do it because just dumping ice water on your head doesn't do shit.

I agree, voting is a big deal when it comes to these causes.

@G&P I know you weren't talking about me specifically when you said this ice bucket challenge is a "me" thing. I just wanna say that I'm not all about myself. there is nothing special about me other than my fantastic Girlfriend that makes me think about myself more. I hate seeing myself on video, I hate the way my voice sounds and I laugh at myself in pictures. I'm currently not in a position to shell out money to any cause. I most definitely would if I had the means. My Med insurance has Skyrocketed, my hours at work got cut by 15 every 2 weeks and I'm trying to replace the stuff that got stolen from my truck. I did the Challenge because it was literally the least I could to. Facebook Fad or not....I wanted to do it.

Post #6   8/21/14 3:26:30PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Meh I was challenged and not doing that bullshit

Its a fact that Lou Gehrig hated ice water anyhow.

Post #7   8/21/14 3:47:22PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,300-892
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

source

No, he said he was gonna donated and do it because just dumping ice water on your head doesn't do shit.

I agree, voting is a big deal when it comes to these causes.

@G&P I know you weren't talking about me specifically when you said this ice bucket challenge is a "me" thing. I just wanna say that I'm not all about myself. there is nothing special about me other than my fantastic Girlfriend that makes me think about myself more. I hate seeing myself on video, I hate the way my voice sounds and I laugh at myself in pictures. I'm currently not in a position to shell out money to any cause. I most definitely would if I had the means. My Med insurance has Skyrocketed, my hours at work got cut by 15 every 2 weeks and I'm trying to replace the stuff that got stolen from my truck. I did the Challenge because it was literally the least I could to. Facebook Fad or not....I wanted to do it.

No I get ya, I know it's not all a "me" thing, I know this means a lot to some people also. Just speaking on more of what I've seen in my some of my feeds and the nature of the viral-ness this has recently took. It does good, but at this point I see some room for some greater societal critique on what it takes to drive the benefit out for a fair amount of people.

Post #8   8/21/14 3:57:23PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Chips:
I don't donate money to any causes.

I help my mom out with money here and there
And I donate my time at the local food bank

Post #9   8/21/14 11:34:53PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Unlike Prozac, my wife and I donate quite a bit even-though we don't have a great income. We always donate goods, clothing, etc. We always help the neighborhood kids when they knock on our door. The one thing we don't do is make a monetary contribution to charities. I just feel charities nowadays, even the most respected organizations, have steered away from the principles they were founded upon.

But yeah, dumping ice does nothing for me. I'm sure the charity org would have been more happy if someone sent in 5 dollars rather than using it to buy ice. BTW, most of the friends and relatives I have that have posted videos of themselves doing the ice bucket challenge - well, I'm confident most of them are only doing it because it's a 'look at me thing.' I guarantee you the majority of these folks doing the ice bucket challenge have no clue what the charity group is all about. But then again, the system works..I guess. Some guys decided to concoct a silly game to achieve free advertisement on a social networking site. That's how pathetic we are. A hard-felt ad does nothing but a silly game gets everybody into the mix.

I have an idea to get more people to vote on stuff that really matter. A silly game perhaps?

Post #10   8/22/14 4:36:22PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Just found out there is some fraudulent stuff going on with the ALS foundation. So glad I blew that ice bucket challenge off when I first heard about it.

Post #11   8/29/14 7:53:45PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Chips:
I wont be participating in it. Not that I don't think it's a great cause, but there are other charities that I would prefer to give to instead. I know there are certain charities that 100% of the money received, goes directly to research, and helping people. Others, only a certain portion does.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #12   8/29/14 8:51:15PM   

RickRoss

Learning to Sprawl

Career:6-
Chips:
"We find that whole communities suddenly fix their minds upon one object and go mad in its pursuit; that millions of people become simultaneously impressed with one new delusion and run after it, till their attention is caught by some new folly more captivating than the first.

…Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

- Charles Mackay (Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, 1852)

Post #13   9/5/14 2:05:07PM