Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

New rules?

Print  
Posted By Message

shinobi

MMA Regular

shinobi Avatar

Career:125-57
Camp: Purebred Fight Team
Chips:
#1: Considering the new skillset of mma fighters recently, and how some tend to "blanket" their opponent, should they impose an open guard rule like in judo to encourage activity?

#2: Also, i think we're all getting tired of how they score fights. Fighters on the bottom should be allowed to win the round if they are more active then the person on top. Look at frank shamrock vs. Renzo gracie, gracie did nothing on top, while frank knee'd the hel out of him ( yes i know about the knee to the head ) but even still. Or, look at josh koscheck vs. jeff joslin, joslin was beating him on the feet and was more active on the ground.

Thoughts?

Post #1   6/24/07 5:32:05PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Absolutely, passivity in MMA is necessary, the yellow card system in Pride worked well. I'll give you credit for using Joslin as an example, however have you ever actually been to a judo match, the time spent on the ground is very minimal if something doesn't happen right away...

Post #2   6/24/07 5:39:37PM   

shinobi

MMA Regular

shinobi Avatar

Chips:
yeah i've been in judo for about a year now, and i agree it is minimal. i just meant the open guard rule, not time limit. it'll force the fighter on top to remain active, rather than blanket his way to an old rashad evans or koscheck victory. or exactly, bring in the yellow and red cards. i very rarely see the ref take away points in the ufc, in strikeforce its after the first warning, much like pride.

Post #3   6/24/07 7:11:38PM   

danny81

MMA Regular

Career:1-
Chips:
no way bro. i say go back 2 unlimited rounds of 5 min. no eye gougin, throat shots, biting. thats it. no other rules.

Post #4   6/24/07 7:30:21PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by danny81

no way bro. i say go back 2 unlimited rounds of 5 min. no eye gougin, throat shots, biting. thats it. no other rules.

Sigh....

Post #5   6/25/07 12:52:14AM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:

Posted by shinobi

#1: Considering the new skillset of mma fighters recently, and how some tend to "blanket" their opponent, should they impose an open guard rule like in judo to encourage activity?

#2: Also, i think we're all getting tired of how they score fights. Fighters on the bottom should be allowed to win the round if they are more active then the person on top. Look at frank shamrock vs. Renzo gracie, gracie did nothing on top, while frank knee'd the hel out of him ( yes i know about the knee to the head ) but even still. Or, look at josh koscheck vs. jeff joslin, joslin was beating him on the feet and was more active on the ground.

Thoughts?

i like number 2... yea, they should.. i like these rules they should take these into consideration..

Post #6   6/25/07 1:24:33AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Some good points, but the Renzo/Frank reference is off since Frank was actually ahead on the cards.

But that's not always the case. I also thing it should be a cumulative scoring ala PRIDE rather than round by round. Big Tim is the best example. Once he knew he locked in the first 3 rounds he was on cruise control and didn't try to finish.

Post #7   6/25/07 10:28:32AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Open guard? - No I don't like it.

Change the scoring system? - I've been saying it for a while now that I think the scoring system needs to be changed. I don't like it how a fighter can win the fight because he is moving slower despite not being the better person in stand-up (i.e. taking more shots and not scoring as many himself). Alas, their scoring system seems to be more suited for boxing (with a grappling twist) rather than a real MMA scoring system.

This 10 point system is BS. I think 99% of the time a fighter will get dominated and still score a 9/10 because any more domination and he loses the fight. Sometimes fighters have even rounds and sometimes one fighter is that much more dominant than the other.

Post #8   6/25/07 12:04:46PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by Rush

This 10 point system is BS. I think 99% of the time a fighter will get dominated and still score a 9/10 because any more domination and he loses the fight. Sometimes fighters have even rounds and sometimes one fighter is that much more dominant than the other.

I agree with you that the judges aren't harsh enough on dishing out 10-8 or even 10-7 rounds...

Post #9   6/25/07 12:08:49PM   

Ralk

Learning to Sprawl

Ralk Avatar

Career:279-121
Chips:
The Red Card / Yellow Card system in PRIDE violates Nevada State Athletic Commission rules. Since the UFC is based in Nevada and most other states in the US are approving essentially the same ruleset, it would take alot of time and effort to get a penalty card system approved everywhere.

I would however like it if they allowed knees to the head while on the ground and I've heard Dana is thinking about pushing for that soon. Allowing knees to the head on the ground would make lay and pray alot worse of an option.

Post #10   6/25/07 1:25:38PM   

shinobi

MMA Regular

shinobi Avatar

Chips:
that it would, as there is many positions ( side mount ) that would allow for knee's to the head and cause lay and prayers to be active. i still like the open guard rule ( no locking of legs while in guard ) . but to each's own.

Post #11   6/25/07 4:09:52PM