Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

“He sawed off my hair with a dull knife”: The horrific misogyny of “Mixed Martial Arts” culture

Print  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Link

Mixed martial arts has a long-standing domestic violence problem, too — and that’s the least of it. This case reveals the sport’s link to a brand of toxic masculinity that is evident in the worst examples of current misogyny,

Link attemp 2

It's on Salon.com I'm on my iPad I can't get the link to work

Last edited 8/13/14 8:11PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   8/13/14 5:39:48PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 39-50

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,612-1,018
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I wouldn't say MMA has a domestic violence problem.
More like sports as a whole has a domestic violence problem..

Post #2   8/13/14 5:49:21PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

Iim not sure professions have much to do with it. Society as whole is pretty fucked IMO too many single mothers and the family's that are together are forced to work too much. Leaving no one to care for the the kids or strangers raising your children. Untrained children turn into untrained adults.

Post #3   8/13/14 5:56:32PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by shaneTpain

Iim not sure professions have much to do with it. Society as whole is pretty fucked IMO too many single mothers and the family's that are together are forced to work too much. Leaving no one to care for the the kids or strangers raising your children. Untrained children turn into untrained adults.

Exactly.

And it's ridiculous to think if War Machine had chosen any other career path he wouldn't be a psychotic piece of shit. That's just who he turned out to be. Getting into the sport has nothing to do with it. If anything it held him back from fighting people on the street left and right.

Also, the link doesn't work. Not sure if it's just me though.

Last edited 8/13/14 6:04PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/13/14 6:03:10PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 39-50

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,612-1,018
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by postman

Posted by shaneTpain

Exactly.

And it's ridiculous to think if War Machine had chosen any other career path he wouldn't be a psychotic piece of shit. That's just who he turned out to be. Getting into the sport has nothing to do with it. If anything it held him back from fighting people on the street left and right.

Also, the link doesn't work. Not sure if it's just me though.

Your right. The world as a whole is plain fucked

Post #5   8/13/14 6:10:46PM   

handyman293

Standup Guy

handyman293 Avatar

Career:264-154
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
I think Chris Rock said it best a few years ago, "What happened to crazy?" Some people are just born fucked up and will always be that way. The sport has nothing to do with it.

Post #6   8/13/14 10:19:07PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by handyman293

I think Chris Rock said it best a few years ago, "What happened to crazy?" Some people are just born fucked up and will always be that way. The sport has nothing to do with it.

I tried to prop ya handy, but i gotta STL.

I think this is right on the money, Occam's Razor-like. No pun intended with the "dull knife" quote.

Post #7   8/13/14 10:29:49PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Posted by handyman293

I tried to prop ya handy, but i gotta STL.

I think this is right on the money, Occam's Razor-like. No pun intended with the "dull knife" quote.

I got you covered

That's one of my favourite Chris Rock bits. It's so simplified but so true.

Post #8   8/14/14 2:29:20AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Society has problems

But the spotlight right now is mma fighters and domestic violence

Post #9   8/14/14 9:52:42AM   

nirvana184

In Full Mount

nirvana184 Avatar

Career:800-498
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The recent cases with War Machine and Josh Grispi certainly haven't helped the typical view of MMA. The sport of mixed martial arts had no impact on their violent actions outside the cage. You see domestic violence occur in the NFL but no one seems to blame the sport of football for that, so why would anyone bother blaming MMA? This is a simple case of people not knowing enough about the sport.

Post #10   8/14/14 8:15:16PM   

tildengolfer

Belt Contender

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:808-544
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
This is interesting..I definitely feel that MMA is skewed in the minds of most Americans, they project ideals of one person onto the whole community. How about we highlight the adultery running rampant in the NBA? Most players take condoms with them to avoid some psycho chick from trying to get pregnant to get paid. Why not talk about 'the youth' and they're love for sex, drugs, and rock'n roll? Our society is out of control!! (sarcastic voice) PFF.

Post #11   8/17/14 5:23:41PM