Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kimbo Slice's legit debut ends in victory

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
While the majority of the fight world was focused on the grudge match between BJ Penn and Jens Pulver, a great many fans were still interested to see what would happen when Internet street fighting legend Kimbo Slice made his official MMA debut against former world boxing champion, “Merciless” Ray Mercer.

LINK

Last edited 6/24/07 2:37PM server time by richieb19
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/24/07 11:11:38AM   

cincyassasin

MMA Regular

cincyassasin Avatar

Career:1,170-865
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:
And you find a bout against a retired one trick poney of a boxer to be a ligit MMA debut? Intresting.

Post #2   6/24/07 12:14:02PM   

CincySaint

MMA Regular

CincySaint Avatar

Career:93-48
Chips:
Although I hate disagreeing with a fellow Cincinnatian, I think the fact that Kimbo used techniques other than back yard brawling to win this fight shows that he is transitioning into a real MMA fighter. If you compare that fight to Morrison's "debut" it was definitely a legit MMA match. Kimbo had your buddy El Guapo training him, I figured you would be a Kimbo fan? Anyway...Who-Dey!!

Post #3   6/24/07 12:43:40PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
He's working with Bas and Randy, I think they must see something in him to train him.

Post #4   6/24/07 12:45:18PM   

Sargeant

Learning to Sprawl

Sargeant Avatar

Career:25-12
Camp: East Coast Top Team
Chips:
i think its hysterical to read that Kimbo won by Guillotinechoke, when the whole world knows him for knocking peoples eyes out of their sockets lol

Post #5   6/24/07 1:25:16PM   

Fanboy 1988

Standup Guy

Fanboy 1988  Avatar

Career:68-49
Chips:
Kimbo beating retired boxer in his late 40's may not put him on the map, but he showed he picked up a few MMA skills in his training though.. I was actually pretty suprised with him

Post #6   6/24/07 1:46:03PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I was pretty impressed with Kimbo...not because of his competition, but because he definitely showed that he took his training seriously. I'm not gonna say he's the next big thing, but he showed some good rounded skills for a first match.

The best part is when Mercer tapped, the ref kept tapping Mercer on the back to let go...wrong guy sucka!

Post #7   6/24/07 2:08:12PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
By the way, this was not his "official" MMA debut, as it was downgraded to an exhibition the day of the fight, and wont appear on any records (official records, that is)

Post #8   6/24/07 2:32:53PM   

cincyassasin

MMA Regular

cincyassasin Avatar

Career:1,170-865
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:

Posted by CincySaint

Although I hate disagreeing with a fellow Cincinnatian, I think the fact that Kimbo used techniques other than back yard brawling to win this fight shows that he is transitioning into a real MMA fighter. If you compare that fight to Morrison's "debut" it was definitely a legit MMA match. Kimbo had your buddy El Guapo training him, I figured you would be a Kimbo fan? Anyway...Who-Dey!!

Yeah I think he finished it like an MMA gut but it's alot easier to finish a sub on a guy who isn't an MMA fighter and is so obvious in his lack to learn it.... I will give Kimbo props for steppin in the cage period but I wouldn't consider it a legit MMA win until he fights a ligit MMA competitor. Did you see Mercer do anything but box? Sure didn't. WHO DEY!

Post #9   6/24/07 2:55:15PM   

LexLossis

Learning to Sprawl

LexLossis Avatar

Career:290-196
Chips:
Kimbo did well for only training MMA for a short time. Imagine a year from now!

Post #10   6/24/07 3:00:17PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by cincyassasin

Posted by CincySaint

Yeah I think he finished it like an MMA gut but it's alot easier to finish a sub on a guy who isn't an MMA fighter and is so obvious in his lack to learn it.... I will give Kimbo props for steppin in the cage period but I wouldn't consider it a legit MMA win until he fights a ligit MMA competitor. Did you see Mercer do anything but box? Sure didn't. WHO DEY!

He already said it...

Post #11   6/24/07 3:03:24PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by CincySaint

This acutally was a MMA match. Kimbo fought a former world Champ boxer
Morrison fought a 340 lb man with no previous fighting expericne in a boxing match with 4oz gloves.

KIMBOs Debut
some very good knees from the clinch.

Last edited 6/24/07 3:20PM server time by madmarck
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   6/24/07 3:15:43PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cincyassasin

Posted by CincySaint

I didn't actually see Mercer do much of that either.

Post #13   6/24/07 3:23:16PM   

Mattyc

Learning to Sprawl

Career:111-81
Chips:
Im Glad he won. It may not have been much of a match but its good for him. He did more than throw his arms everywhere. Lets think about it this way though, Kimbo lost to one man and im pretty sure that guy got destroyed in his MMA Debut.. so go Kimbo!

Post #14   6/24/07 3:57:28PM   

Metafour

MMA Regular

Metafour Avatar

Career:798-433
Chips:
I was pretty sure that Kimbo was going to end up taking it to Mercer. If we look at everything in perspective:
Mercer is in his mid-late 40's
Kimbo is in his early 30's
Kimbo is training MMA with Bas Rutten and taking it VERY seriously
Kimbo has shown great heart before like in his fight with Gannon

If he continues to train hard with a good camp, he could be a force a few years down the road.

Post #15   6/24/07 4:02:19PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2