Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dennis Bermudez on Conor McGregor: 'I'm on a six-fight win streak and no one's talking about me'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,803-1,002
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
But don't expect "The Menace" (or this guy) to go full-WWE just to build some hype.

Link

Post #1   7/21/14 11:48:12AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,249-867
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Totally agree with Dennis. The winner of Bermudez vs Guida makes a lot of sense for who Connor should fight next from an MMA standpoint. If your interest is making Dana and the Tortilla's a bunch of cash though, you probably give him another mismatch.

Post #2   7/21/14 12:49:10PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,125-610
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
At least he admits he's jealous.

Post #3   7/21/14 1:30:22PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Chips:
Winning 7 in a row should give you a title shot.

With Edgar
Mendes
Swanson

Guys like Connor and bermudez

Ufc probably should have had
A number one contender match between
Edgar vs Swanson for 176 to save the card
Eliminate some contenders

Post #4   7/21/14 1:30:56PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,249-867
Chips:

Posted by Copenhagen

It's warranted, but I think frusturated is the better word. MMA has lost so many fans that guys don;t get enough recognition for winning fights anymore, and the new interests of MMA garner recognition for what does not happen in the cage. It's pretty shitty for guys like Dennis who are and have been getting it done to be brushed aside for what is sexy and trendy to the masses.

Post #5   7/21/14 1:38:55PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,112-1,310
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

Posted by Copenhagen

It's warranted, but I think frusturated is the better word. MMA has lost so many fans that guys don;t get enough recognition for winning fights anymore, and the new interests of MMA garner recognition for what does not happen in the cage. It's pretty shitty for guys like Dennis who are and have been getting it done to be brushed aside for what is sexy and trendy to the masses.

Also look Gina Carano, hasn't fought in close to 5 years and she gets a title shot? UFC needs smarter people running the show.

Post #6   7/21/14 2:04:16PM   

nirvana184

Standup Guy

nirvana184 Avatar

Career:741-472
Chips:
Bermudez is one of my favorite fighters with the UFC and I have to agree with him. He puts on great fights and has tons of potential yet everyone is too concerned with guys like McGregor. After all, McGregor has yet to face anyone of Guida's caliber yet.

Post #7   7/21/14 2:13:48PM   

Owens92x

Standup Guy

Owens92x Avatar

Career:256-149
Camp: TKO
Chips:
It's such a shame that talking garners more attention than skill.

That being said, if Dennis puts on a FOTN and beats Guida Saturday, I'm sure a lot more people will start talking about Dennis.

Also, Dennis is way more exciting than Conor

Post #8   7/21/14 2:42:15PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,385-1,434
Chips:
I was actually thinking of this match up..Connor is so hyped up, would he actually get past a guy like Dennis, who IMHO is a much better fighter..or would Connor even get past Guida or how bout Hioki or Do Bronx..Poirer vs Connor is a match that in not even interested in..but the four fighter I talked bout is who I want Connor to face off with..

Post #9   7/21/14 4:08:50PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
There should be a number on a contract. Like if a guy hits 8 straight wins they will receive an offer for a title fight.

Very rarely do we have guys who go on 5+ win streaks and it gets to the point where guys start questioning what else they have to do.

I can't think of many guys who hit 7 fight win streaks who I didn't think deserved a title fight. And if they weren't given a title fight then it's not there fault the UFC didn't give them a step up in competition.

Some guys who didn't get a title fight but hit that number include
Jim Miller - lost to Benson who earnt a title fight
Gray Maynard
Matt Brown
George Sodapop

If you've racked up 6 wins. No way should you be fighting guys outside of the top 10 and that's exactly what Bermudez finds himself in, a fight with a top 5 guy. A win here could find him against Edgar

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #10   7/21/14 7:09:15PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
He's not the first fighter to go seven wins and not get a title shot....Jim Miller anybody? Fact is if your not fighting top competition win streaks mean very little to the UFC and you better hype yourself to make them pay attention.

Dana says he loves when guys hype themselves and call out opponents, so do it. it's business.

Post #11   7/21/14 8:01:26PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,335
Chips:
Bermudez would whoop that ass too, but the UFC is protecting Conor, it's pretty obvious.

Post #12   7/21/14 8:49:08PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

He's not the first fighter to go seven wins and not get a title shot....Jim Miller anybody? Fact is if your not fighting top competition win streaks mean very little to the UFC and you better hype yourself to make them pay attention.

Dana says he loves when guys hype themselves and call out opponents, so do it. it's business.

Sometimes it doesn't even matter if you've beaten top competition. If I remember right Marquardt got his shot against Silva off a 3 fight win streak (in the ufc, 5 in total if memory serves) against nobody in the top 10 at the time with his most notable win being Dean Lister. I believe he hadn't even been on a main card before then.

It's all about how they can hype the fights and how much money can be made anymore. That's the reason why I think that Dana White was great for a time because he took power at a time when someone like him was necessary to further the sport. Now it's time to replace him with someone more likely to put integrity of the sport above the bottom line so that MMA doesn't turn into boxing.

Last edited 7/21/14 10:19PM server time by ufc_fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #13   7/21/14 9:16:13PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Conor McGregor peaked last weekend IMO. Maybe he will prove me wrong but I don't see much that makes me think he's going to be a champ. They propped him up, got a pop in Ireland and now it's time to jump in the shark tank.

Post #14   7/21/14 10:30:40PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by postman

Conor McGregor peaked last weekend IMO. Maybe he will prove me wrong but I don't see much that makes me think he's going to be a champ. They propped him up, got a pop in Ireland and now it's time to jump in the shark tank.

I don't know that he has necessarily peaked yet, but I don't see anything that makes me think that his skills will progress to the point where I think he can beat the guys that, in my opinion, are at the top of the division and stand above the rest, which would be Cub Swanson, Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, and the Korean Zombie. I just don't see anything that he brings to the table as being problematic for any of them. I'd say to really test where he is have him fight someone like Bermudez, Jeremy Stephens, or Du Bronx, all 3 of which, in my opinion, would probably beat him.

Post #15   7/21/14 11:34:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2