Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Was Gray Maynard out?

Print  
Was Gray Maynard Out?
Yes (No Contest) 95 71%
No (Gray Won by Tapout) 38 29%
  Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7  
Posted By Message

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,654-1,006
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Was he out? Of course he was. His muscles tensed up, then when he regained consciousness, he was unable to stand up without assistance. But I think they should have given the fight to Maynard via tapout. They didn't rule the Hughes v Newton fight a NC, why would they do it here?

Last edited 6/25/07 12:49AM server time by ac_gi
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #61   6/25/07 12:46:12AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Good Call he was out.

Post #62   6/25/07 1:21:39AM   

dustyp

Learning to Sprawl

Career:769-501
Camp: Never Tap
Chips:
I completely agree with the n/c gray was clearly out he couldnt even stand up when the doctor came in.so if rob could of got up or even roll over he would of won. even though i hated seeing it end that way it was fair.

Post #63   6/25/07 1:52:59AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,654-1,006
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Post #64   6/25/07 4:30:12AM   

MrGreeny

MMA Regular

MrGreeny Avatar

Career:511-324
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
Gray was out even before the tap. So, i think NC is the best way to deal with the situation... U have to look at Gray when the doctor puts him on the ground.. He was still limb... Self-KTFO

One more thing... If u watch closely Gray's arm was not trapped under Emmerson's back. The hand was under his butt and Emmerson's weight was on his back because he was buckling in that moment, so Gray could easily get his arm out if he wasn't out. His arm even moves up when Rob lifts his butt - totaly stiff!

Last edited 6/25/07 6:05AM server time by CtOlaf
3 total post edits

Post #65   6/25/07 5:33:35AM   

The_Iceman

Learning to Sprawl

The_Iceman Avatar

Career:898-540
Camp: Dutch Top Team
Chips:
Maynard was out, no doubt about it.
But I believe the referee didn't see this right away.. so when the ref was calling for the end of the fight, HE prob. thought Maynard had won..

Post #66   6/25/07 6:23:36AM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by nubby

Posted by hippysmacker

I think Gray was dazed, not out. his eyes are open when he rolls over. I don't think they had " rolled into the back of his head" as Rogan rudely claimed IMO. Emerson tapped, and that should be that to me. As for Rogan, I admit to liking him most of the time, but I thought he was rude to keep telling Maynard he was out, when he had no proof of it." IF" Gray was out it was when he was face down on Emerson's chest. We can't see his face and " know" if he was or not. As for Gray, I would have been pissed too, if I felt a victory was stolen from me. Out of the 7 people at my house this heavily discussed and opinions split. So I understand if someone feels differently. For me, I try to deal in facts when making a decision. Fact- Emerson tapped due to what Gray did to him . Fact- We can't tell if Gray was out or not. That's my 2 cents

Bullcrap, he was out. It was plain as day. His eyes were definitely not wide open, they were barely open and he was staring off in to la la land. No contest.

Since I have a 60 inch bigscreen and walked right up to it confirm his eyes were open, I am certain you are wrong.

I Agree. he may have been stunned, but the fact of the matter is Emerson tapped. Emerson tapped before you saw Gray KO'd. The ref had his hand on Emerson saying he was done. The NC on Gray's record was uncalled for. Hughes didnt get a NC why is it right for Gray to?

Last edited 6/25/07 8:34AM server time by leland
2 total post edits

Post #67   6/25/07 8:29:24AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
when i was in a car crash and got knocked out unconsious i lost a huge chunk of memory......my friends told me i was talking to them fine after the crash,and that i seemed to be all there,but i didnt remember any of it till later on when i was at the hospital(didnt even know how i got there and why till my parents told me i was in an accident)....so i am pretty sure Gray was still out of it,and dont even remember what he said during the post fight interview(unless he saw it of course)

Post #68   6/25/07 10:57:43AM   

jamessick

Learning to Sprawl

Career:113-70
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
I initially thought that Maynard got screwed (and I picked Emerson). But the more I see it, I could go either way. Just wondering though, if calling it a "technical draw" would be a more accurate call than a "no contest". Clearly there was a contest. One guy has a rib in his lung and the other guy is 2 inches shorter than he was an hour ago.

Post #69   6/25/07 12:11:56PM   

nibrack11

Banned

Career:99-53
Chips:
in my mind i think he was pretty out of it and rob tapped almost at the exact same time and if he didnt tap he would have won the fight, but i still like gray more and he was winning the fight so i have to say no contest because it was even and i couldnt choose who won.

Post #70   6/25/07 1:39:01PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by BeaturAss

I don't know how many of you guys were in a fight before?! you don't give up until its over... Maynard held his own until the guy tapped out and the ref called it off... When it was called off he layed on the side and gave up his strength thinking it was over! He was stunned that's for sure but conscious of what is going on... Clearly, NSAC took the win from Gray Maynard!

Question is who tapped out on that fight? What was the reason why the ref called off the fight? You are only assuming that Gray Maynard won't be able to continue on that fight, just because you saw that his eyes rolled over after the fight was called off doesn't mean that he is out!?! As far as I'm concerned it is only an assumption by the people who just watch and were not on that fight and made the decision just because of there stature on the sport!

It's UNFAIR to the fighter who was not tested that he's out on that fight and somebody just calls him that his out!?! and what rematch are you talking about? Maynard completely dominated that fight from start to finish...

Maynard did dominate from start to finish, but there will be a rematch because of how the fight ended. I think Maynard will win the rematch cleanly.

Honestly, I don't care about either of these fighters. They both came off as babies at the end of the fight. Gary bitching that he wasn't out, Rob saying stuff like "I don't conside this a win, I didn't beat this guy because of the way it ended ... " saying it like he won the fight because Gary was out. It's like he forgot that he tapped out.

I'm happy with the no contest, even though it looked like the ref stopped the fight because of Rob tapping. Both fighters couldn't do anything. Rob had a hurt rib or whatever and couldn't fight, if not for that fact Maynard was so hurting someone without boxing or BJJ training could have kicked his ass. It just would have been a matter of jumping on him and finishing it off.

Post #71   6/25/07 1:50:21PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by Leland

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by nubby

Posted by hippysmacker

I think Gray was dazed, not out. his eyes are open when he rolls over. I don't think they had " rolled into the back of his head" as Rogan rudely claimed IMO. Emerson tapped, and that should be that to me. As for Rogan, I admit to liking him most of the time, but I thought he was rude to keep telling Maynard he was out, when he had no proof of it." IF" Gray was out it was when he was face down on Emerson's chest. We can't see his face and " know" if he was or not. As for Gray, I would have been pissed too, if I felt a victory was stolen from me. Out of the 7 people at my house this heavily discussed and opinions split. So I understand if someone feels differently. For me, I try to deal in facts when making a decision. Fact- Emerson tapped due to what Gray did to him . Fact- We can't tell if Gray was out or not. That's my 2 cents

Bullcrap, he was out. It was plain as day. His eyes were definitely not wide open, they were barely open and he was staring off in to la la land. No contest.

Since I have a 60 inch bigscreen and walked right up to it confirm his eyes were open, I am certain you are wrong.

I Agree. he may have been stunned, but the fact of the matter is Emerson tapped. Emerson tapped before you saw Gray KO'd. The ref had his hand on Emerson saying he was done. The NC on Gray's record was uncalled for. Hughes didnt get a NC why is it right for Gray to?

Sorry but your 60 inch TV isn't going to help considering it wasn't televised in HD. You, just like everyone else get a nice big blurry blotch where his eyes are. Secondly, even Joe Rogan, who was looking at the replay at the actual event confirmed that His eyes were rolled back in his head. DEAL WITH IT, NO DECISION, END OF STORY.

Post #72   6/25/07 2:00:00PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,202-1,233
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
'During an interview last night on The Fight Network’s “The LAW” radio show, Maynard said he had not decided whether he would officially contest the ruling, but he did state that the UFC had already spoken to him about a possible rematch.'

UFCJunkie

Post #73   6/25/07 3:00:13PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't see how you can say "matt hughes didn't get a NC so why should gray?" that logic is pretty flawed. We made a bad decision once, so let's continue to make it! The situations aren't really the same either quite frankly. Newton was knocked unconscious BECAUSE of the fact that he knocked Hughes unconscious in the first place. The only reason that one wasn't declared NC is because no one except Matt realized that Matt was out until he started running around telling people.

Or maybe they realized it's ridiculous to award a victory to a fighter who was not only rendered unconscious, but was rendered unconscious BEFORE his opponent. Please take a minute to think about that.

I have a hard time believing anyone thinks No Contest is "unfair" to the guy who knocked his own ass unconscious.

Last edited 6/25/07 3:13PM server time by Aether

Post #74   6/25/07 3:11:44PM   

Berti

MMA Regular

Berti Avatar

Career:1,652-935
Camp: Cat's Den
Chips:
i think he was out also, but if they call that a no contest, you need to go back and take a win away from matt hughes, cause the ronin carlos newton had him out standing up with a triangle, and when he fell it koed newton, both were out, but it was convient that big john woke up matt and not carlos...anyone else see that fight and know what i mean...lol.

Post #75   6/25/07 3:14:49PM   

Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7