Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC and Fox terminate relationship with Chael Sonnen following second failed drug test in 2014

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Fox and the UFC are done with Chael Sonnen after the former title challenger tested positive for banned substances for a second time this year alone.

Link

Post #1   6/30/14 11:32:21PM   

handyman293

MMA Regular

handyman293 Avatar

Career:164-103
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
Can anyone blame them, really. He talked a great game, lots of us believed him, including me, on his post trt excuse. Now, fck him HGH, everyone has known been banned for years. Cya Lance of MMA

Post #2   6/30/14 11:49:28PM   

RacingHartPurple

MMA Regular

RacingHartPurple Avatar

Career:1,867-1,128
Chips:
What???? Really? Seriously...this sucks man, I can't believe it....I haven't even read the article yet but if the title means what I think it does and he won't be commentating or doing UFC Tonight with Florian anymore that's gonna really suck!! I liked Chael a lot and don't see how these positive HGH tests have anything to do with him commentating but I 'm guessing that Fox thought it looked really bad and put the UFC under some pressure.

Post #3   6/30/14 11:51:15PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,630
Chips:
And meanwhile, in all other major sporting organizations...

Post #4   7/1/14 12:08:25AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,808-1,136
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I hope bellator jumps on that shit.

Our spike MMA

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #5   7/1/14 12:15:06AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Chips:
I don't blame them. I wouldn't want that guy working for my company. Not just because he tested positive..... twice but because he called all these other dudes out about pissing hot and he goes and pissed hot....twice.

Last edited 7/1/14 12:59PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   7/1/14 12:37:42AM   

TerrorofsesameST

Learning to Sprawl

TerrorofsesameST Avatar

Career:832-555
Chips:
I don't pity the guy at all, nobody is at fault here but Chael. He knew what he was doing and like he said before "rules are rules" and he broke them NUMEROUS times. Back in 2010 the post fight drug test he failed after the Silva fight then the money laundering case which was sort of kept hush-hush. The shit he said about Anderson Silva and Brazil (funny at the time but in hindsight was just flat out ignorant). Constantly belittling Wanderlei and then publicly trashing him after he ran from his drug test. This was all karma finally coming back to bite him in the ass. Just can't believe a man this smart with quite the gravy train going for him being Dana's pet as a fighter and was considered to be his predecessor, lol well he can kiss that goodbye. He should either go back into politics or WWE. This guy was given numerous second chances and blew it!

Post #7   7/1/14 12:43:56AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Never been a fan of Sonnen. I know lot of people liked him and that's fine but I felt he was shady from the start. The reason I felt this way was his mentor was Matt Lindland who is one of the dirtiest fighters and wrestlers around.
Then there was the money laundering. Then you had the Chael's testosterone levels being way over the limit after first Anderson Silva fight. What if he had won that fight? Now you have him getting popped for HGH which they don't normally ever test for. So how long has he been on it? So I understand their choice for parting ways with him. It doesn't look good for Fox, The UFC, or the sport of MMA to keep him around.

Last edited 7/1/14 1:09AM server time by telnights
2 total post edits

Post #8   7/1/14 12:58:28AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,172-824
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Haha welcome back to the real world chale.

Post #9   7/1/14 1:33:37AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
I don't blame them, but it is too bad because he was a great commentator I thought. oh well, perfect example why not to be a goddamn cheater.

Post #10   7/1/14 4:26:18AM   

nirvana184

Standup Guy

nirvana184 Avatar

Career:702-451
Chips:
I can't say I'll miss him. Sonnen has always been one of my least favorite fighters so it actually pleases me to see him get what was coming.

Post #11   7/1/14 10:26:07AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
There's more going on with FOX than just this. Sonnen's release is really just part of a larger shift by the network. FOX has been making major moves all over the place (I know firsthand) and they're working hard at restructuring their base. They've gone out of their way to poach guys like Stewart Mandel and Adrian Wojnarowski (TV). They've also been working behind the scenes to poach even more talent to bolster their TV lineups and subscription-based services.

Chael might have been let go because of his test, it's actually likely that he was, but FOX is also making wholesale changes across the board. They're finally cashing in on their name and trying to take a run at ESPN. Who knows if it works.

Last edited 7/1/14 11:52AM server time by blueskiesburn

Post #12   7/1/14 11:51:59AM   

Gumby90

MMA Regular

Career:3-1
Chips:
Ha good riddance to a known cheater that America seems to love. He's bad for the sport.

Post #13   7/1/14 12:21:19PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,399
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

There's more going on with FOX than just this. Sonnen's release is really just part of a larger shift by the network. FOX has been making major moves all over the place (I know firsthand) and they're working hard at restructuring their base. They've gone out of their way to poach guys like Stewart Mandel and Adrian Wojnarowski (TV). They've also been working behind the scenes to poach even more talent to bolster their TV lineups and subscription-based services.

Chael might have been let go because of his test, it's actually likely that he was, but FOX is also making wholesale changes across the board. They're finally cashing in on their name and trying to take a run at ESPN. Who knows if it works.

It might be because of the test? What other reason would there be then if FOX was trying to take a run at ESPN than to distance themselves from the bad publicity. If he had been clean he was one of the more popular mama fighters, so it really wouldn't make sense unless it was because of the test

Post #14   7/1/14 12:30:10PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,172-824
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Sonnen has made the UFC and FOX look bad because they stood behind him and let use their brands as a pulpit to further his lies. He is the face of cheating with PEDs in MMA. At some point his lack of integrity and credibility needs to be addressed, they couldn't let him drag them and MMA to a further low then what he has dug already. This could have ramifications for FOX and UFC's future relationship even because it plunges MMA into the forefront of the PED limelight in sports.

Last edited 7/1/14 12:35PM server time by GDPofMPG

Post #15   7/1/14 12:34:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2