Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jones refusing to fight in Gustafsson in Sweden

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

traveller77

MMA Regular

traveller77 Avatar

Career:984-484
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I understand the JJJ hate he gets but lets remember he is a professional fighter. That means he does it for money at the end of the day. Holding the belt is worth millions of dollars and a better life, so of course he is not going to take a fight where his chances of winning are lower, especially against a guy who can give him a close fight. He is the champ, and has a lot of power, he's not just a Zuffa employee, he is a guy who Zuffa profits from and they should be carefull with showing favoritism to challengers over their champs (cash cows). This and Dana's ego drove GSP from the sport, and moves like trying to pressure Jones into a bad situation just for a better gate at one of 45 shows a year would stick in my craw as well.

Like his style or hate it, but he is the most creative guy we have ever seen at finding new ways to hurt and diminish his opponent. Look at the sweet crank he used on Glover, took away half his weapons in one move. Bitching about how he uses leg kicks is bullshit, being OK with traditional leg kicks but calling his dirty is sour grapes. No one bitches about the nearly identical way Anderson Silva does it. He will lose a point one day very soon for the eye pokes if he keeps it up, so let the refs deal with that one. He is just a young immature guy who is probably surrounded by a lot of yes men, and has some borderline religious views that makes him look like an ass at times. Doesnt change the fact that he is a dominant champ who is getting better, he just needs to improve his maturity, and judgement along with his game.

Post #16   6/17/14 2:33:22PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,384-764
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
After what happened in New Mexico with Diego Sanchez I cant blame him for not wanting to fight Gudtsafsson's in his backyard. It has been shown many times that when fighting fighters in their home area that judges seam to favor them in close and not even close fights. Two of the biggest robberies have happened because of judges favoring the home town fighter be it because of the crowd influencing them or they are from the same area. You have Bisping vs Hamill and now Sanchez vs Pearson as great examples.

Last edited 6/17/14 8:04PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   6/17/14 2:51:58PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Gumby90

I'm over jon jones. Wasted talent. He had time to be the greatest star that ever shone in the UFC and instead eye pokes and whines about fights.

Ducked Lyoto...

Ducked Lyoto?

Post #18   6/17/14 5:08:16PM   

tattflash

In Full Mount

tattflash Avatar

Career:2,545-1,824
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
F*cked Lyoto more like............As much as I dislike Jones, surely the champion of any sport has earned the right to defend where he wants and not be made to go to his opponents back yard

Last edited 6/17/14 6:57PM server time by tattflash
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   6/17/14 6:56:30PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Easy to hate on Jones and speculate that he is dodging his toughest challenger to a rematch, but hard to argue why he would agree to the rematch being in the challengers home country. After all the bullshit we've seen with judging lately I think the only place this fight can happen is in Las Vegas.

Post #20   6/17/14 9:34:12PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Me personally, I think that as a fighter, and especially as a champ, you just do what you're told and take any fight that is presented to you no matter where it is at. As a champ, your job is to prove you are the best in the world at your weight class, and you don't do that by picking and choosing who you fight and when and where it happens. Take a fight in your opponents backyard and beat him there. Prove you're the best no matter where it happens.

100% this. It should never be made easier to remain a champ. Quite the opposite in fact.

Post #21   6/18/14 4:54:27PM   

Gumby90

MMA Regular

Career:3-1
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Gumby90

I'm over jon jones. Wasted talent. He had time to be the greatest star that ever shone in the UFC and instead eye pokes and whines about fights.

Ducked Lyoto...

Ducked Lyoto?

Lyoto won a number 1 contender fight twice I think and they skipped over him because Jones didnt want to have to rematch him and also Lyoto's not as much of a draw as useless 205 version Sonnen who put up a much lesser fight in the end. He's turning into Tito and Tito can't exist in 2014. Too many awesome guys gunning for him.

Post #22   6/19/14 2:13:25PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2