Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anybody know any specifics on UFC / HBO???

Print  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Do you think they will re-air UFC ppv's the following weekend like they do boxing.
Or will they just play their scheduled HBO brodcasts or whatever...

I don't care if they're a week old, and I don't care if I just payed fourty bucks to watch it the previous weekend, free UFC would make my day...

Maybe even show the untelevised undercards?!?!?!

I know it won't happen, and it's all just wishfull thinking, but in a perfect world there could be some seriously interesting possibilities...

Post #1   1/29/07 8:50:40PM   

Infused

MMA Regular

Infused Avatar

Career:373-253
Chips:
I'm pretty sure that the UFC is still in negotiations with them. Not totally sure, but pretty sure.

Post #2   1/30/07 12:23:26AM   

punisherind

MMA Regular

punisherind Avatar

Career:781-433
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
perhaps this will shed some light, its from NYDailyNews.com:

"HBO's 'Ultimate' dilemma

Talks are heating up between HBO Sports execs and representatives of Ultimate Fighting Championship that could soon end in a deal bringing the caged warriors to the pay-cable network.

If a contract gets done there are all kinds of ramifications. HBO does serious sports journalism with shows such as 'Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel' and Bob Costas' 'Costas Now.' Where would the controversial UFC fit in? Yes, boxing, HBO's marquee sports franchise, ain't exactly without its share of whacked actors, but compared to UFC it is a mainstream sport.

Also, how would HBO handle the production? Considering its history, both HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg and executive producer Rick Bernstein would probably seek new and independent voices with no ties to UFC.

Would they do some crossover with their boxing yackers? Word is both Lennox Lewis and MeMax Kellerman, who work on HBO's 'Boxing After Dark' series, are UFC aficionados."

This wouldn't be be very good. Mike Goldberg is the voice of the UFC; he's been around since 1997. Joe Rogan adds a bit of credibility to the show and his training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu allows him to provide very good fight analysis. Randy Couture as a third man recently has also added since he's a veteran of many MMA fights and provides good insight into fighters' strategies and mindset. If the HBO wants to keep some sort of HBO influence on the show, I could understand bumping either Rogan or Couture and replacing him with Max Kellerman, who is a very big MMA fan (he got ESPN to show the weigh-ins for Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz' first fight at UFC 40 back in 2002).

Post #3   1/31/07 5:09:18PM