Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sanchez-Pearson decision might be worst in MMA history, and that's saying something

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Tyzzler

MMA Regular

Tyzzler Avatar

Career:291-233
Chips:

Posted by Copenhagen

Does anyone know if Sanchez has admitted at all that the decision was controversial?

i think i remember reading last night that he said something about the 30-27 being wrong, but i was pretty drunk so i might have made that up

I watched the post fight press conference, and he did indeed say the 30-27 was wrong, but he thought he won a UD. He thought he hurt Ross a few times, and was pressing forward the whole fight.

At least he showed some dignity I guess...
I hope they throw him to the wolves for his next fight: Diaz or Bobby Green would do.

No, I've always liked Sanchez so I was trying to think the same thing when he said that, but it was only a cocky set up for what came after. I watched the post-interview just hoping he would admit that it was at least close, but what actually went down was more like this:

INTERVIEWER [Q]: "Before the decision was announced did you think you had done enough to win or what were you thinking?"
SANCHEZ [A]: "Well nah I knew I'd done enough to win, but I do not agree with the ONE judge that gave a score of 30-27 because it was a closer fight than that..[PAUSE]..there's NO WAY he can say that I lost all THREE rounds..it was too close..but no I knew that I had done enough to win throughout the whole fight."

Now I'm paraphrasing, might not be word for word, but it's pretty close. I know bc I've gone from starting out loving Sanchez like most of the MMA world...to now finding myself out of reasons to STILL root for the guy. I was hoping so hard that he would redeem himself and (if not admit that he had straight lost) admit that it was too close for a 30-27 his way.

Last edited 6/8/14 4:57PM server time by tyzzler
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   6/8/14 4:53:43PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,899-1,095
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
At people trying to claim this was a close fight.......

We all witnessed a robbery

Post #17   6/8/14 5:04:55PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It's funny. With the decision. I know alot of us make not like Diego as much anymore. But it reality he wasn't the one who scored the fight. It was the judges.

They didn't fuck up that many dec last night
But that 30-27 score had to be a gift for the local boy

I feel like taking a judging seminar. And try to be mma judge looks like they will hire anyone off the street
I could sleep thru a couple rounds. Make a guess and say hey this guy won 30-27

Post #18   6/8/14 5:11:38PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

It's funny. With the decision. I know alot of us make not like Diego as much anymore. But it reality he wasn't the one who scored the fight. It was the judges.

It may not be his fault that he was gifted the win, but his post fight comments are 100% on him. Even Rampage more or less admitted he lost his fight with Machida in the post fight interview if I remember correctly. I believe he said something along the lines of "I got my butt whooped" when Rogan interviewed him. Diego's reaction was significantly less humble and borderline delusional, imo. As for hating him based on the decision, I will reference Leonard Garcia. He got a lot of crap from the fans and people started turning on him when he was consistently being given gift split decisions (Korean Zombie, Nam Phan, and if I recall right, even his fight with Jameel Massouh was controversial). A lot of us hated Bisping before his fight with Hamill, but we hated him even more after he was announced as the winner of the fight. We tend to hate on people when they get things they didn't earn.

Post #19   6/8/14 5:36:45PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
I hate Diego with a passion as I believe he'd commit genocide against nonbelievers but nevermind that. ?This was disgusting, porbably paid for, Greg Jackson has shown us that he bribes judges, especially at home. Bendo the christian bigot was lucky he finished, who knows what would have happened.

Post #20   6/8/14 5:41:18PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Goatenstein

I hate Diego with a passion as I believe he'd commit genocide against nonbelievers but nevermind that. ?This was disgusting, porbably paid for, Greg Jackson has shown us that he bribes judges, especially at home. Bendo the christian bigot was lucky he finished, who knows what would have happened.

You need to chill bro...calling Bendo a Christian bigot is probably pretty borderline behavior. Not to mention all the other b.s.

Post #21   6/8/14 5:55:18PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,545-881
Chips:

Posted by Goatenstein

Post #22   6/8/14 6:17:02PM   

Owens92x

Standup Guy

Owens92x Avatar

Career:256-149
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by Goatenstein

Dude, we get it... You lost money cause Pearson and Rustam didn't win. Doesn't mean you have to go all anti-religious. There was seriously no reason for that. And Greg Jackson bribes judges?

Post #23   6/8/14 6:39:00PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,395-879
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
Too the people claiming "anyone who thinks he won that fight is insane..." or whatever, re-watch the fight and bring me an argument. Not a single person has made one argument justifying Pearson winning that fight. Just the repeated babble "Diego Lost and robbery of the year." Lets discuss this instead of just constantly saying "Diego lost." I've watched it 3 times now and can say it definitely isn't even robbery of the month. Just re-watch it unbiasedly and then we can discuss the scoring if you like.

Post #24   6/8/14 7:01:25PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,249-867
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
And Diego Sanchez, in an unprecedented turn of events, now has been awarded three of the top ten worst decisions in Mix Martial Arts. We are witnessing history here folks!!!

Sanchez is borderline top 50 LW in the UFC today. His last win was against Paulo Thiago at WW in 2010. It's debatable weather he has won three total rounds in his last six fights. I think the third round against Ellenberger is the only clear round he has won in over four years. He's not a good fighter, I don't care who loves him or hates him, he is just bad and his terribleness brings warranted scrutiny to MMA's legitimacy.

Something is wrong, weather it's rampant corruption or ineptitude, Sanchez winning again like this after getting beat up is a black eye for MMA. People inside MMA and those on the outside should be pointing their fingers saying something is stinky with MMA, people should be comparing MMA's process to the most blatantly corrupt or questionable aspects of boxing or the fiction of pro wrestling.

Post #25   6/8/14 7:11:25PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

Too the people claiming "anyone who thinks he won that fight is insane..." or whatever, re-watch the fight and bring me an argument. Not a single person has made one argument justifying Pearson winning that fight. Just the repeated babble "Diego Lost and robbery of the year." Lets discuss this instead of just constantly saying "Diego lost." I've watched it 3 times now and can say it definitely isn't even robbery of the month. Just re-watch it unbiasedly and then we can discuss the scoring if you like.

Diego was backed up for the first 2 rounds...minimal forward movement and missed most of the striking in those rounds and didn't score a takedown in those rounds either.Ross scored by taking control of the octagon and out pointing Diego with accurate strikes and more of them in total as well. For that I gave him the first two rounds, Diego took control of the 3rd for the most part, he was still evenly matched on the feet so for that I could give him the 3rd I guess.

Post #26   6/8/14 7:47:12PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,292-1,292
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

I'll give it a shot.

Rd 1 - Pearson out stuck Diego by an almost 2 to 1 margin in both volume and accuracy. There were no takedowns so there is no grappling score. Easily 10-9 Pearson.

Rd 2 - Pearson again won the striking battle but not by as wide of a margin, he did however score a knockdown, landed the only takedown of the fight and land with near double the accuracy of Diego. 20-18 Pearson

Rd 3 - Once again Pearson out landed Diego by near a 2 to 1 margin in both volume and Accuracy and there were no takedowns or grapping to speak of. 30-27 Pearson.

Now I'd love to hear an explanation of how Diego won a single round in that fight....Other than throwing inaccurate flurries as soon as he heard the clapper he was being dominated from start to finish. It was an obvious 30-27 score in Pearson's favor.

Post #27   6/8/14 7:49:06PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,524-1,841
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
Thought it was a clear 30-27 Pearson, maybe 29-28. But either way that fight result left me disgusted. It was a shame it happened. Personally I thought Diego lost to Gomi & Kampmann as well but that's old news. I just hate hometown decisions.

Post #28   6/8/14 8:16:27PM   

traveller77

MMA Regular

traveller77 Avatar

Career:996-488
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

And Diego Sanchez, in an unprecedented turn of events, now has been awarded three of the top ten worst decisions in Mix Martial Arts. We are witnessing history here folks!!!

Sanchez is borderline top 50 LW in the UFC today. His last win was against Paulo Thiago at WW in 2010. It's debatable weather he has won three total rounds in his last six fights. I think the third round against Ellenberger is the only clear round he has won in over four years. He's not a good fighter, I don't care who loves him or hates him, he is just bad and his terribleness brings warranted scrutiny to MMA's legitimacy.

Something is wrong, weather it's rampant corruption or ineptitude, Sanchez winning again like this after getting beat up is a black eye for MMA. People inside MMA and those on the outside should be pointing their fingers saying something is stinky with MMA, people should be comparing MMA's process to the most blatantly corrupt or questionable aspects of boxing or the fiction of pro wrestling.

I was too pissed off to comment rationally earlier but with the better part of a day to digest it, nothing has changed.

Dont even think of chalking this up to judges not understanding MMA. This was a clear cut boxing match. Zero ground work done by either fighter, and the kicking score was 2-1 for Diego. Not a 2-1 margin, litterally 2 kicks to 1 the whole fight, that means this came down to hands alone. Pearson outstruck him in all 3 rounds. Pearson was never visibly hurt, but Sanchez was hurt and dropped. Damage.... I dont think I need to say much on that front, clearly the only visible damage was to Diegos face and ribs, Pearson looked no different at the end of the fight than he did at the start. Pearson outlanded him with hands at almost a 2-1 margin in every round.

One of my teammates was at the event and said the crowd had turned on Diego in the 3rd and was cheering for Pearson, so saying the judges were compromised by the crowd reaction is bullshit. In Sanchez's previous gifts he won based on activity even when he hadnt earned the win by hitting the other guy harder and more often than he was hit (the whole idea of picking a winner) Sanchez got some gift decision based on moving forward, he didnt do that last night, Pearson was moving forward just as much as Diego.

It is clear to me that unless they found figure skating judges for this match, that CORRUPTION, not pure incompetence is responsible for this unjust result. No other possibility makes any sense. I feel this was the worst decision in UFC history. I didnt even want to watch the main event after that.

The UFC needs to go after this one aggressively: announce that the UFC will never return to New Mexico as long as those 2 judges remain licenced, and of course... Pay Pearson his win money.

Post #29   6/8/14 9:21:30PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,394-765
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't see how anyone can give one round to Diego. He was out struck in every round by almost 2-1. But I guess throwing wild punches that don't land 3 seconds before the bell means you won the round to 2 of the judges. I know stats dont always show the way the fight went but in this case I think they do.

Stats
Strikes wise the only round that was close was 2nd and Ross scored a knockdown and a takedown in that round.

Last edited 6/8/14 11:08PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #30   6/8/14 11:05:16PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3