Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 173: Worst Night Ever for Fighter Safety?

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC 173 delivered on a night of entertaining bouts. There were some bright spots; a new champion was crowned in a dominant, upset victory. There were some decent new prospects that got to showcase their stuff, and seasoned fighters establishing themselves in their division.

BUT WHAT THE FUCK WAS UP WITH THE CORNERS AND THE REFEREES?

Njokuani was kneed in the balls potentially 3-4 times, plus an eye-poke, all in the first round. No point deduction.

Varner's corner should have realized something was wrong with his leg and stopped the fight. Same for the ref.

Ellenberger was fetal and looked desperate to get out of that fight in the second. He was hurt bad to the body and already had his face all busted up. That should have never went to the third.

Same with Henderson-Cormier, Henderson's corner should not have let that go three. The ref probably could have stopped that at many points along the way. Hell, I love Henderson, but that match should never have been made with all the damage Hendo took against Shogun just a couple months ago. Anything for buys though! The only redeeming point for the officials, I would say, would be whoever caught Iaquinta going out from that slick D'arce. IIRC that was a pretty spot on job.

Perhaps I was just caught up in the moment, and still am, but this card may have set a precedent for the worst night for fighter safety ever.

Post #1   5/25/14 1:55:59PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think you were just caught up in the moment.

The Varner fight should have been stopped by his corner. His foot may never work properly again. I suppose the ref could have stopped the fight, and have a doctor take a look before the end of the round.

I have no problem with the Ellenberger and Henderson fights. Hendo got tooled by a bigger, better fighter. He was dominated, and exhausted after the second, but it's not like he was taking huge shots.

Ellenberger hurt Lawler in the third, but just gassed. I don't see how the ref could have stopped that fight earlier.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #2   5/25/14 3:03:02PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The thing with the Varner fight was that even after he injured his foot he still got a takedown and for most of the round he still looked fairly dangerous up until probably the last minute.

Post #3   5/27/14 11:51:32AM