Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Submissions or Knock-outs?

Print  
Submissions vs Knock-outs
Submissions 19 41%
Knock-outs 27 59%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
Which do u perfer?

Post #1   6/22/07 4:24:15PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i'd prefer submissions if they're well executed (like din thomas' arm bar and nick diaz's gogoplata) more than the average KO.

Post #2   6/22/07 4:26:25PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
The way I see it...

The KO highlights the brutal, strength driven part of MMA

And the Sub highlights more of the art that's involved in the sport.

While a standing KO can really get your adrenaline pumping, there is something just so sweet about a great sub like Hughes's armbar on GSP or Aoki gogoing Hansen..

I guess to answer your question, I chose the KO, because it gets me fired up... But I wouldn't trade a Saku / Newton fight for all the KO's in the world.

Post #3   6/22/07 4:34:21PM   

AmericanFighterAce

Banned

Career:990-702
Camp: Pure Adrenaline Radio
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

The way I see it...

While a standing KO can really get your adrenaline pumping, there is something just so sweet about a great sub like Hughes's armbar on GSP or Aoki gogoing Hansen..

I guess to answer your question, I chose the KO, because it gets me fired up... But I wouldn't trade a Saku / Newton fight for all the KO's in the world.

See Knock-Outs, can get stopped early enough that are not that exciting (see Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock) where in which someone can be defending themselves but not doing anything and the fight gets called a Knockout.

If it is a brutal GabeGo headkick to the grill of Mirko, I'll take it.

But Submissions are a lot harder to accomplish than Knockouts, it actually a lot of practice and skill to put in a very good submisson. You can get lucky with some punches with the fighters punch, but with a Submission it takes a little more skill than a Knockout.

My vote- Submission

Post #4   6/22/07 4:48:19PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
I'm a judo player, and a life-time grappling fan... so you know I gotta go with the sub!

Post #5   6/22/07 5:08:54PM   

spider1179

MMA Regular

spider1179 Avatar

Career:788-526
Chips:
I would have to agree that KO's can really get your blood pumping. However, good grappling followed by a great armbar, gogo, kneebar, ect. is the most beautiful part of MMA. There is just nothing better than the guy on bottom seeing an opening and quickly slapping his opponent in a triangle and good night.

Post #6   6/22/07 5:18:25PM   

blkssncpt

MMA Regular

Career:434-334
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

The way I see it...

your absolutely right the Art and the Brutal Drive....
But i'd have to give it to the knock out some get stopped prematurely (ortiz vs Shamrock) but for the casual fan that doesnt really know what to look for in a good ground and submission game it would have be the KO. personally i love both but id prefer the KO

Post #7   6/22/07 5:23:50PM   

cincyassasin

MMA Regular

cincyassasin Avatar

Career:1,170-865
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:
Subs all day......Anybody can throw a bomb but it takes some skill to pull off a submission.

Post #8   6/22/07 5:35:13PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by cincyassasin

Subs all day......Anybody can throw a bomb but it takes some skill to pull off a submission.

You cannot totally undersell KOs like that, though I will admit there is a difference between just smashing your fists into someones head and actually KOing them with skill.

Look at Houston Alexander, when he KO'd Jardine it was just an ugly mess of raging, wild punches trying to bomb Jardine out. Compare that with say, Cro Cop's KO of Mark Coleman, where he didnt waste a punch, sniping targets alloever Coleman's body to open up his chin, then one perfectly timed punch square on the chin to put Mark away. There is a difference between the two styles, the first anyone with heavy hands can do, the second takes real skill and years of practice.

For me, I like the KO, I like that immense rush that makes me fly out of my seat and scream at my TV, like when Rampage KO'd Chuck in a beautiful fashion.

However, when a PPV is all KOs and TKOs I feel cheated - I like Submissions too. Having trained in Judo when I was younger, I have a great appreciation for the finesse of submissions, and at the same time a little bit of contempt for those armchair warriors that scoff "I cant believe he didnt see THAT triangle coming!" etc, because unless you've trained in it and had fights involving it, the submission game is more complex than you'd imagine.

When it comes down to it, when Im watching a PPV, I like to see a few good subs and a few good KOs. A sloppy sub that gets a win is just as unfullfilling as seeing a crude KO.

Post #9   6/22/07 6:41:11PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
I prefer subs because with alot of submissions you need strength to overpower your opponent to get it locked in and theres more skill in subs not that there isn't in a KO but being able to transfer from one submission to another just seems more skillful

Post #10   6/22/07 6:48:02PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I prefer to watch knockouts, but if I was gonna stop a guy I'd choose submission. Just the thought that I put my opponent in so much pain, they literally had to beg the ref to stop the fight...Well it helps me sleep at night.

Post #11   6/22/07 9:06:58PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
I say submission, so sweet how they get in and out of them, knockouts aren't that great for me...

Post #12   6/23/07 11:34:30AM   

Chec22

MMA Regular

Chec22 Avatar

Career:299-236
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I went with submission. KO's are fun but what really makes MMA is softening the opponent up with some striking, then the takedown and some ground and pound. Then good night tough guy.

Post #13   6/23/07 4:13:48PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I cannot vote. I simply like the finish. No matter what it is. IF a fighter KO's or subs another i have no preference.

Post #14   6/23/07 10:24:53PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
Submissions or KO's are most exciting when they come out of nowhere. Ko's like Sell Vs. Smith really get my blood pumping. But Subs like a Chonan Vs. Silva flying scissor heel hook have the same effect. If I had to choose, it would be KO's as a personal preference. Mainly because I'm a mediocre ground guy at best myself.

Post #15   6/24/07 1:10:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2