Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brown vs Silva....left feeling conflicted.

Print  
Rate the fight
Goat 3 7%
Very good 25 60%
Good 11 26%
Average 1 2%
Shut up Adrenaline 2 5%
Don King 0 0%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Thanks for all the replies guys, great input as always. Sorry for pulling a prozac and not replying till now after starting the thread. Last couple days have been stupid busy for me and by the time I could sit down and think about it some more, everyone had already summed it up as well as I could have.

Post #16   5/13/14 2:45:54AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,380
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Best fight this year yes
But best ever. Wouldn't make my top 5

Post #17   5/13/14 9:58:34AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,418-743
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Oh I forgot about Hendickd/Lawler.

But still not a lot of fights to compete with what Brown and Silva did on Saturday.

Post #18   5/13/14 1:34:02PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,380
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Adrenaline

Thanks for all the replies guys, great input as always. Sorry for pulling a prozac and not replying till now after starting the thread. Last couple days have been stupid busy for me and by the time I could sit down and think about it some more, everyone had already summed it up as well as I could have.

Pulling a prozac??

I work a lot. Sorry I can't spend every min of the day on this site

Post #19   5/13/14 3:46:47PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Posted by Adrenaline

Pulling a prozac??

I work a lot. Sorry I can't spend every min of the day on this site

It was a good natured joke, I assure you.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Prozac.

Post #20   5/14/14 1:34:14AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,393
Chips:
It was definitely a great fight for the fans, but I think more than anything this fight just proved that neither of these guys are really top 10 WW's in the UFC. Erick Silva barely had a gas tank to get him out of the first round and Matt Brown couldn't finish a clearly exhausted Silva in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. People say that Silva is a stud for taking all that damage and still fighting but I say that if Brown were a better fighter, he would have ended that fight a lot sooner.

Looking over Brown's win streak his biggest wins are against Mike Pyle and now Silva. I don't think Brown beats ANY elite wrestler at WW. Let's not forget this is the same guy who was submitted by Seth Baczynski only 2-3 years back.

Post #21   5/14/14 1:30:37PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,993-957
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
I think it was the greatest fight so far this year, but this has been a rather lackluster year so far. Still, I think it would be top 5 in any year. It lasted multiple rounds, both fighters were in critical trouble in multiple rounds, there were many near finishes, it had a good combination of striking and grappling, and it never really idled much.

Greatest ever? Perhaps not. But that doesn't mean it wasn't absolutely phenomenal.

Post #22   5/14/14 3:34:20PM   

CPK

Learning to Sprawl

CPK Avatar

Career:1,597-988
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
FOTY- no. Entertaining-yes. Brown was just lucky that Silva gassed in the first round. This fight proved nothing other than Silva needs to work on his cardio and Brown is very lucky. Best first round ever goes to Diaz vs Semtex imo. To even put Matt Brown in conversation with the top 10 UFC WW is a disgrace. He needs to fight some real competition to even be considered. FOTY is between Hendricks vs Lawler or Varner vs Trujillo imo. I read that this fight put Matt Brown at #5 in the standings.

Post #23   5/14/14 9:44:35PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,993-957
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
I think its fine for Brown to be top 10. After all, even if he hasn't beaten anyone in the current top 5, he's got 5 straight KOs in his seven fight streak, and the last 4 of those guys are all very good. Several of the fighters that Brown beat in his streak were on big streaks themselves (Thompson, Mein, Pyle). A fighter can be highly ranked without having faced the current UFC top 10 completely legitimately. Just look at Chandler and Alvarez. Lastly, it partly comes down to performance. Brown has really never been overcome in the striking. He once had a problem getting subbed on the ground, but he's been tested there plenty lately against good grapplers and held his own quite well.

Post #24   5/15/14 9:35:06PM   

CPK

Learning to Sprawl

CPK Avatar

Career:1,597-988
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

I think its fine for Brown to be top 10. After all, even if he hasn't beaten anyone in the current top 5, he's got 5 straight KOs in his seven fight streak, and the last 4 of those guys are all very good. Several of the fighters that Brown beat in his streak were on big streaks themselves (Thompson, Mein, Pyle). A fighter can be highly ranked without having faced the current UFC top 10 completely legitimately. Just look at Chandler and Alvarez. Lastly, it partly comes down to performance. Brown has really never been overcome in the striking. He once had a problem getting subbed on the ground, but he's been tested there plenty lately against good grapplers and held his own quite well.

He does have some serious striking power

Post #25   5/15/14 9:44:44PM   

handyman293

Standup Guy

handyman293 Avatar

Career:256-150
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
Brown should be top 10, but now he needs to fight the top 10

Post #26   5/16/14 12:18:14AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,489-1,490
Chips:
imho i thought it was a above average fight..it showed that Silva has bad cardio, throwing wild strikes and going all out..i dont remember a fight where Silva hasnt gassed..after the 1st round it was all Brown, just bullying Silva around..i remember some of the throws that Brown did, they werent super technical, just able to toss around a gassed fighters..the output from Brown was awesome thou..kept coming forward living up to his nickname..Brown is kinda coming into his own, stopping alot of finishers..but i think against more powerful strikers like Lawler, Ellenberger, T. Alves and similiar fighter would over power him..but for Brown next fight i would like to see Brown vs Rory..would be interesting..since u cant count Brown out of a fight, thats for damn sure..

Post #27   5/17/14 12:38:39PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2