Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brown vs Silva....left feeling conflicted.

Print  
Rate the fight
Goat 3 7%
Very good 25 60%
Good 11 26%
Average 1 2%
Shut up Adrenaline 2 5%
Don King 0 0%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Matt Brown vs Eric Silva delivered big on excitement, as was expected but I am still not sure what to think about it. In the aftermath I have read opinions around the net stating that it was "one of the greatest fights of all time" or maybe slightly more reasonable "best first round ever". But really was it? It feels like the term "greatest fight ever" gets thrown around way too often these days and is starting to feel forced. Is it because we are so oversaturated with average/mediocre fights that when one lives up to the hype we feel the need to brand it as an instant classic? Don't get me wrong, it was a very entertaining fight that had constant action and momentum shifts, and both guys laid it all out there but at the end of the day to me it was still just a fun fight between two great but not quite elite fighters. Maybe if Silva didnt gas in under one round and become little more than a punching bag until the predictable end came I would feel differently about it. I understand that Brown was the under dog (for some reason) and that his career comeback has been pretty amazing but I dont think any of that makes this fight one of the greatest ever. Either way I enjoyed the hell out of it though.

So have we set the bar too low or am I just jaded?

Post #1   5/11/14 8:32:28AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:771-424
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Fair point but I don't think the term 'greatest fight ever' gets thrown around too much, the only other time I can remember is the shogun vs hendo fight. People have said jones vs Gustafson was one of the greatest lhw title fights ever ( which I agree with ).

I personally think it would be in my top 10 favourite fights ever just because of the fact brown is my favourite fighter and also because of how action packed it was.

It really comes down to the way you view the fight. Most people will see it as a great fight, others would call it an absolute beat down and another way of looking at it is silva got gassed and brown just capitalised on that fact.

The more I watch mma and the more that I practise Bjj, the more I appreciate what others would consider boring fights so I guess it's really just the way you view things. You're not jaded you are just giving your opinion and it's a fair call, but what does annoy me is Kung fu posting crap about brown faking getting hurt to the body, now that shit grinds my gears hahaha. I think I may have gotten a little off track here.

Post #2   5/11/14 9:06:27AM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,942-1,114
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's still fresh in our minds and will lose some of its luster once people start analyzing and comparing it to other memorable fights. The initial hype will be gone and it'll settle into perspective.

Post #3   5/11/14 9:21:17AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It was a great fight. FOTY? Possibly. Best 1st round in UFC history? Possibly. Was it the GOAT? I'd have to actually make a side by side comparison with some of the other top fights before making that sort of claim, but my initial reaction is no. Does it have to be elite fighters to be on that level though? I only ask because you went out of your way to point out that they're not elite. I'm not sure that matters, but is that what's holding you back from appreciating it more than you do?

Post #4   5/11/14 9:22:31AM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Career:869-614
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
Matt mother fucking Brown!

Post #5   5/11/14 10:13:32AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,351-1,264
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Good fight. Fight of the year, no. The first round was one of the most exciting in recent memory. Besides that, it was a complete beat down by Brown. I hate when FOTY gets thrown around with a fight like this. Silva was completely gassed after the first round, and was wobbly the entire fight after. You could say it was one of the best performances by a fighter, but it takes two to make it FOTY.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   5/11/14 10:40:40AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Chips:

Posted by kopower

Good fight. Fight of the year, no. The first round was one of the most exciting in recent memory. Besides that, it was a complete beat down by Brown. I hate when FOTY gets thrown around with a fight like this. Silva was completely gassed after the first round, and was wobbly the entire fight after. You could say it was one of the best performances by a fighter, but it takes two to make it FOTY.

I guess it depends on what criteria an individual uses to determine FOTY. Someone might say that it has to be an almost even fight, while someone else may argue that it only has to be competitive. Still others may say it just has to be two technical fighters going at it. Or does it just have to be exciting as hell? I can see the argument as a candidate, but I don't know that it would get my vote. FOTY can mean different things to different people though, as there is really no definition behind it.

Post #7   5/11/14 11:23:50AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Chips:
It wasn't one of the greatest fights ever, but it's definitely up there with the craziest. One of those fights where no matter how much a guy is getting beat up you can't look away.

Post #8   5/11/14 11:46:04AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,546-914
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I liked it up to a point, but honestly I feel it should have been stopped sooner. Silva was not offering effective defense OR offense for much of the fight. It could have been a TKO sooner, and allowed Silva to keep a few of the years he probably lost from his life in the fight.

Nonetheless, I really liked seeing Brown come from behind in the first and continue to pressure.

Very good fight. Not one of the greats, probably.

Post #9   5/11/14 12:07:28PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,477-773
Chips:
I voted for Very Good.

Best fight ever? No way. Best FOTY? I'd say yes. I think Trujillo vs Varner was the best leading up to but I could honestly be forgetting a fight.

I do think that it will go down as 'one of the best 1st rounds' ever.

I'm going to rewatch on TV today because I had a nice drinking buzz going when watching it live. Both guys nearly finished each other in the opening round. The crowd was so into the fight which made It even better.

I do think this event could be the best of the year ast this point.

Post #10   5/11/14 12:15:18PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I think we have watched so many mma fights that we have been conditioned to expect certain things from a fight such as feeling out process, take down attempts, wall and stall, lay n pray etc. etc... And when something out of the norm happens, our receptors are saying, "Hmm, what's this? What's going on?" That triggers the brain to become more alert and more receptive and that in turn confuses the brain to interpret it as something weird, awesome, and or exciting etc.

...It's like going on a fishing trip. After hours of fishing and having no bites or no sign of fish anywhere...and then all of a sudden - a fish jumps out of the water and creates a loud splash. And you're like "Oooh, it came from over there. Let's go!" But the reality is, you're hungry, you still haven't caught any fish, your fishing trip was a disaster, and you wished you were at home instead.

Post #11   5/12/14 6:36:26AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,692-972
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I think we have watched so many mma fights that we have been conditioned to expect certain things from a fight such as feeling out process, take down attempts, wall and stall, lay n pray etc. etc... And when something out of the norm happens, our receptors are saying, "Hmm, what's this? What's going on?" That triggers the brain to become more alert and more receptive and that in turn confuses the brain to interpret it as something weird, awesome, and or exciting etc.

...It's like going on a fishing trip. After hours of fishing and having no bites or no sign of fish anywhere...and then all of a sudden - a fish jumps out of the water and creates a loud splash. And you're like "Oooh, it came from over there. Let's go!" But the reality is, you're hungry, you still haven't caught any fish, your fishing trip was a disaster, and you wished you were at home instead.

Post #12   5/12/14 11:26:36AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,393-1,324
Chips:
I responded "good" because I was expecting it to be a lot more even. So it was definitely exciting, but there would have to be a lot more back-and-forth for me to consider it one of the more memorable fights.

Post #13   5/12/14 1:51:44PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by KungFuMaster

I knew someone would be enlightened.

Post #14   5/12/14 4:15:50PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Hyperbole is common practice in sports and MMA is no different. Google 'Game of the Century+college football' and enjoy how many games pop up. Somehow Army vs. Notre Dame in 1946 was the Game of the Century exactly one year after Army vs. Navy was Game of the Century.

I understand why people would be protective over 'Fight of the Year' and thinking that the bar is increasingly being lowered, but that's rarely the case. In the end we generally end up remembering the best things we watched. Our brain tends to sort out the crap our mouth spouts after a sporting event. If I had a dollar for every 'game of the year?' tweet after a CFB game, I'd be able to buy pizza for the whole Playground. It's really just journalistic hyperbole meant to drive clicks and discussion. It works, too, because writers and fans share a desire to quantify everything and rank them.

People spend hours and hours and hours debating things like pound-for-pound lists, fight of the year, knockout of the year, etc. These sorts of nebulous concepts get readers pissed/excited/chesty/offended and cause nothing but attention for the outlets proposing these ideas.

To answer your question -- yes, we do throw out hyperbole too regularly these days, but it's not going to stop. Exaggeration is a way for us to convey excitement. In sports we often convey this excitement with phrases like 'greatest ever' and that's not likely to change as long as human beings love to compare and debate.

Last edited 5/12/14 5:32PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   5/12/14 5:29:37PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2