Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ratings Report: Jones, Rousey Receiving Surprisingly Lower PPV Numbers in 2014

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The UFC is filled with big stars and talented fighters. For two decades, the organization has featured the best in the business and introduced hundreds of talented mixed martial artists to the general public. Within those two decades, a hand full of huge names have stuck with the masses, and those names almost insured huge fan interaction, high tickets sales, and large pay-per-view numbers. Names like Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Georges St. Pierre, and Anderson Silva brought hype no matter who they were fighting.

Link

Post #1   5/9/14 7:31:03PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Oversaturation.

With so many ufc fighters. These
Ppv should be stacked
Half the ppv should have double title events.

You do this. Cut out say 15 events a year
You will see a turn around. A guarantee it

Post #2   5/9/14 7:47:32PM   

handyman293

MMA Regular

handyman293 Avatar

Career:164-103
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
Doesn't shock me much with the amount of events they have now.

Post #3   5/9/14 8:04:02PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Chips:
Surprised by the Jones numbers but not the Rousey numbers.

Post #4   5/9/14 8:30:38PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,630
Chips:
Talking to a dude at a bar right now who states over saturation is the reason he stopped watching...that and "Big Names" playing safe and putting on boring decisions when they should be over late second early third. $50 was too much for him.

Post #5   5/9/14 9:24:27PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,946-1,042
Chips:
Not a fa n of the headline of this story. It should be Ronda Rousey by herself & no supporting cast for UFC 170 scores almost as much on PPV as Jon Jones with a much healthier card behind him. I think these numbers are disappointing for both fighters but my real take away is all this Rousey hate isn't effecting her ppv sales at all. I think it's safe to say Rousey is a legitimate star

Post #6   5/9/14 10:09:02PM   

Owens92x

Standup Guy

Owens92x Avatar

Career:227-135
Chips:
STACK THE PPVs FOR GOD'S SAKE! Quit having a title fight and a big name co-main event with the rest of the card being okay for the hardcore fans but unknown to the casuals! Max Holloway vs Andre Fili on PPV? Jamie Varner vs James Krause on PPV? JOKE

Another thing to consider is: No one watches the Flyweights to the Featherweights. The Lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis, is injured for the year. GSP, the welterweight king, is no more. Anderson Silva, the middleweight king, is no more. Jon Jones, the light heavyweight camp, does not get talked about at all and there is no hyping up when he fights. The Heavyweight champ, Cain, is injured for the year. And no one cares about women fighting.

Not a good year for the UFC.

Last edited 5/9/14 10:31PM server time by Owens92x
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/9/14 10:28:31PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by Owens92x

STACK THE PPVs FOR GOD'S SAKE! Quit having a title fight and a big name co-main event with the rest of the card being okay for the hardcore fans but unknown to the casuals! Max Holloway vs Andre Fili on PPV? Jamie Varner vs James Krause on PPV? JOKE

Another thing to consider is: No one watches the Flyweights to the Featherweights. The Lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis, is injured for the year. GSP, the welterweight king, is no more. Anderson Silva, the middleweight king, is no more. Jon Jones, the light heavyweight camp, does not get talked about at all and there is no hyping up when he fights. The Heavyweight champ, Cain, is injured for the year. And no one cares about women fighting.

I watch all weight classes because I'm a real fan. Your view is entirely ignorant.

Post #8   5/10/14 7:52:30AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,034-600
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by Owens92x

I am a fan of the lower weights and loved the WEC before it was absorbed by the UFC. The lighter weights never tire, move at a faster pace and are quicker, they are more agile and quite a few of them have knock out power. The only thing they don't have, is that they are not as intimidating walking to and standing in the cage. Hard to be intimidated by a guy Joe Rogan towers over. Compare the lighter weights to the Heavy Weights, I would much rather watch the lower weights with the exception of the top 10 HWs. With HWs, if there isn't a finish in the first 1 or 2 rounds, the rest of the fight is a hug fest - with the exception of a few of the big guys like Cain who has off the charts cardio for a big guy.

Post #9   5/10/14 8:13:40AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,218-1,306
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
These two may be the top draws but theres an astronomical difference in the numbers they are doing in comparison to GSP, Brock Lesnar and Anderson Silva.

Post #10   5/10/14 9:54:52AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,878-916
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Owens92x wasn't saying that HE doesn't like the lower weight classes, Goatenstein. He was saying that they aren't popular with the casual fans, and they aren't. Looking at the numbers, he is correct.

Going beyond that, I would even argue that not enjoying the lower weight classes as much doesn't necessarily make you a "bad fan". Statistically, the number of finishes is much lower at 135/145 than 205/265 even if there are a few fighters that are exceptional in that regard. That's just the way it is.

A lot of the reason that a match is exciting for me is that it can end at any moment. If that possibilities doesn't exist (or seems like a remote chance) then it feels more like watching sparring in the gym. The skill on display is interesting up to a point, but it doesn't put me on the edge of my seat.

To be fair, the overall level of cardio for HWs is much improved in recent years. Even outside the top 10, most fighters can do at least 3 rounds without looking like they are about to keel over. Also, its not like the lower weight classes have an exemption on gassing out.

Lastly, I completely agree with the apparent consensus in this thread. There are too many UFC events, too many mediocre new fighters signed, and too many exposed low-level fighters that keep getting fights.

Last edited 5/10/14 10:01AM server time by OnyxShadow

Post #11   5/10/14 9:58:35AM   

Owens92x

Standup Guy

Owens92x Avatar

Career:227-135
Chips:

Posted by Goatenstein

Posted by Owens92x

I watch all weight classes because I'm a real fan. Your view is entirely ignorant.

UFC 169 - Barao vs Faber and Aldo vs Lamas. TWO title fights with people below the LW division!

Buyrate: 230k, the LOWEST of the year (so far).

Call me ignorant, whatever. A fact is a fact and the fact is that the heavier people get more attention. Why? Because heavier people tend to knock each other out (casual logic) and that's what the casuals want to see.

Post #12   5/10/14 10:10:56AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
They should cut to 6 a year which will add signifcance and build hype. UFC use to be awesome which they had PPVs every other month. It kept people talking.

They can just have FS1 cards twice a month on the months they dont have PPV cards.And really the FOX numbers arent as good as they could be either. They need to start putting Jones and Rousey on Fox cards to get more new fans.

And really the only way the fight pass will be a significant success is if they add PPVs to it and charge a little bit less.

Post #13   5/10/14 12:53:04PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
i disagree with over saturation arguments. However they should cut the number of PPV, 4-6 HUGE PPV events per year, every 2-3 months with huge fights. BIG BIG names two+ title fights on each.

Then just leave the rest of the fights as is make them once every month, 2 weeks at times and smaller names with the fox cards having top 10-15 fighters on them that were not quite big enough for the PPVs.

just need to restructure and they would be fine.

Post #14   5/10/14 6:21:51PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,034-600
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by Owens92x

Posted by Goatenstein

Posted by Owens92x

UFC 169 - Barao vs Faber and Aldo vs Lamas. TWO title fights with people below the LW division!

Buyrate: 230k, the LOWEST of the year (so far).

Call me ignorant, whatever. A fact is a fact and the fact is that the heavier people get more attention. Why? Because heavier people tend to knock each other out (casual logic) and that's what the casuals want to see.

I completely agree with you, HWs are the favorite, especially with the casual fan. I just personally think the lighter fighters get a bad rap as they usually put on much better fights overall compared to the HW division.

Last edited 5/10/14 9:19PM server time by Dberntson

Post #15   5/10/14 9:18:21PM