Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fabio Maldonado replaces Junior dos Santos, faces Stipe Miocic at TUF Brazil 3 Finale

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

xdanish020

The Natural

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:6,455-3,612
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow
Props to Fabio for manning up...its just a terrible career move.

Disagree completely, I think it's a smart career move. He has nothing to lose, and A LOT to gain if he wins.

Post #16   5/6/14 8:49:21PM   

Michael_Corleone

I'm knocking out all bums

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:2,883-1,660
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This could turn into a very interesting boxing match if Miocic keeps it standing. Throwback UFC David vs Goliath matchup.

Post #17   5/6/14 8:58:41PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Maldonado should be a MW.

He's as game as they come, though. Hope they don't drop him if he loses.

i see no way they drop him.

it was mentioned in a thread the other day, but the ufc wants Brazilians to main event Brazil cards & he did it when i must assume nobody else would.

Post #18   5/7/14 12:19:41AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:2,790-1,414
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by OnyxShadow

Disagree completely, I think it's a smart career move. He has nothing to lose, and A LOT to gain if he wins.

He's gonna be a 4:1 or worse underdog for good reason against Miocic. Stipe isn't particularly popular with casual fans yet so its not a lottery ticket like a fight with JDS might be. Its just a fight he's almost certain to lose that wouldn't even give his career that much of a boost if he pulled off the miracle. Furthermore, he's riding a 3 fight win streak. That doesn't exactly put him in title contention at the moment, but it sets him up for fights against top LHWs on the main card (or even the main event of a smaller UFC event). Basically ANY loss is a set-back, and Maldonado cannot really afford that at this stage of his career.

Post #19   5/7/14 12:21:36AM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:357-238
Chips:
I'll play Devils Advocate. If Stipe doesn't the him down this could get interesting. Even if Stipe takes him lightly. Its hard to see Maldonado win though since his biggest strength is boxing and he's not all that fast or powerful at 205 nevertheless HW. He has a hell of a chin though so if stipe comes in even the slight bit unprepared Fabio has the will to put up a fight.

Post #20   5/7/14 12:30:22AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by OnyxShadow

He's gonna be a 4:1 or worse underdog for good reason against Miocic. Stipe isn't particularly popular with casual fans yet so its not a lottery ticket like a fight with JDS might be. Its just a fight he's almost certain to lose that wouldn't even give his career that much of a boost if he pulled off the miracle. Furthermore, he's riding a 3 fight win streak. That doesn't exactly put him in title contention at the moment, but it sets him up for fights against top LHWs on the main card (or even the main event of a smaller UFC event). Basically ANY loss is a set-back, and Maldonado cannot really afford that at this stage of his career.

Or Dana called him up said hey Fab can you throw down with Stipe? extra 100k and another fight win or lose. Sound good? Yeah!?!? Thanks buddy your a life saver.

Post #21   5/7/14 12:47:30AM   

danielzimmy

Learning to Sprawl

Career:2,946-1,883
Camp: Mousasi the underdog
Chips:
This fight is not going to end well for Maldonado.

You have to give the kid credit though. he has balls of steel.

Post #22   5/7/14 1:03:06AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:4,210-3,089
Chips:
I like this fight. I think it could prove to be one hell of a fight. Maldonado can throw bones and we know he can take a punch. Can Stipe deal with Fabio's heavy hands and boxing skills? Can Fabio deal with Stipe's size and strength advantage? I am actually fairly excited about this fight. Stipe has two decision wins in a row in the HW division and Maldonado has 3 decision wins in a row in the LHW division. This fight makes a tiny bit of sense under the circumstances which is actually the most important part and that is that as a quick fill in to keep a good fight on a card it works pretty good.

Post #23   5/7/14 4:32:30AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,576-1,648
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
I'm a bit surprised that I'm in the minority who thinks this is a dumbass fight. You're telling me the ufc, that has "too many fighters on the roster", can't even find an actual heavyweight fighter to fill the void here? Funny, I was thinking overeem would be a good candidate so I wanted to check wiki to see if he had an injury or something. Obviously it isn't gospel but on wiki he is listed as fighting stipe on may31. This is a superior fight if it is true.

Post #24   5/7/14 8:50:56AM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:6,583-3,794
Chips:
I'm very surprised that this is the fight they're going to book. I get that Maldonado wants a fight but this is ridiculous. Miocic isn't that big for Heavyweight but he's going to make Fabio look tiny and out of shape. This is going to be very one sided.

Post #25   5/7/14 9:27:19AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:5,547-2,968
Chips:
This matchup did get easier for Stipe. I figure if Struve could Knock Stipe out, JDS would've knocked his head off, no not literally guy.

I just hope we see a more exciting Stipe. He fought his last 2 fights with intentions on winning a Decision. Maybe smart, but certainly not entertaining. Especially when he fought GG. Somewhat lackluster to say it lightly. Especially from 2 HWs that are known for finishing.

Stipe UD. I think he takes Fabio down early and often. I hope he finishes though so I'll stop being harsh on him.

Post #26   5/7/14 2:59:25PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:923-654
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
should be a slugfest, unless it goes to the ground.

Post #27   5/7/14 10:18:50PM   

tattflash

Belt Contender

tattflash Avatar

Career:5,721-4,028
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I cannot see this fight going to the floor. It is a bad match up in my opinion and a huge drop in class of opponent for Miocic. Why could they not match him up with Mir, or even Rothwell ?, his 9 months must be up now?. Better still sign Vitaly Minakov to a sadly lacking HW division. But if it had to be a light heavyweight a better option in my opinion who would be more of a test for Miocic would of been Anthony Johnson

Post #28   5/8/14 4:59:45AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,438-887
Chips:
Everybody be busting the UFC's balls on this fight. The reality is there has never been a main event in Brazil without a Brazillian so the opponent had to have a Brazillian Hertiage.

Brazil is a huge draw of there fan base and this is a free card, there isn't going to be an Overeem, the fans wanna have someone to root for at the end of the night so lets see these Brazillian divisions inside the top 50 of both weight classes.

Big Nog just got KO'd
Miocic only just beat GG
Bigfoots out for another 7 months
Teixeras injured
Lil Nogs MIA
Shogun just got KTFO'd
Thiago Silvas cut
Wanderleis running from Sonnen
Cavalcantes fighting Bader
Luiz Cane isn't signed to the UFC.

Suddenly the fight makes sense.

Last edited 5/8/14 8:06AM server time by jjeans