Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

First man to beat Anderson Silva wants to fight in the UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Luiz Azeredo was the first man to defeat Anderson Silva, and he wants to prove he belongs with the best.

Link

Post #1   5/4/14 7:31:24PM   

Owens92x

Standup Guy

Owens92x Avatar

Career:209-125
Chips:
15-10 in his career and only two fighters that are meaningful that he holds a win against is Silva (FOURTEEN years ago and in a very boring fashion) and Daley (EIGHT years ago). After his loss to Kawajiri he hasn't fought anyone noteworthy. On top of that, he hasn't fought since 2011. He can keep dreaming because it's not going to happen.

Post #2   5/4/14 8:45:15PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,790-1,126
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well at least he beat him fair and square and didn't cheat like Weidman

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   5/4/14 11:42:20PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:653-353
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Well at least he beat him fair and square and didn't cheat like Weidman

Hahaha

Post #4   5/4/14 11:48:27PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,823-1,106
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Owens92x

15-10 in his career and only two fighters that are meaningful that he holds a win against is Silva (FOURTEEN years ago and in a very boring fashion) and Daley (EIGHT years ago). After his loss to Kawajiri he hasn't fought anyone noteworthy. On top of that, he hasn't fought since 2011. He can keep dreaming because it's not going to happen.

Luiz Firmino was a big win when it happened, Azeredo got a title shot against Gomi from it and Naoyuki Kotani (ZST champion and currently on a huge win streak) is another good win he has on his resume, and is also one of the fastest K.O's in Pride history. Milton Viera's pretty good and Camoes is no slouch either. He came really close to finishing Gomi in his prime. Cristiano Marcello was a 4-0 BJJ whiz when Azeredo beat him.

His first fight with Gomi is considered to be one of the best LW/WW fight ever to happen in Pride. He was top ten ranked for about 7 years or so.

Half of his losses came against top 5 ranked fighters (Sakurai, Gomi x 2, Kawajiri, and Joachim) and the rest are all against good fighters: Malyutin (Russian Sambo champ) Torres (who lost a split to Kampmann in the UFC) the Nazare fight was an injury, Tony DeSouza who was one of BJ Penns coaches and was a really good well rounded fighter in his day, he just didn't have a good enough chin. And some no name in his third fight. Most of those losses came after he lost his passion for the sport, Sometimes just getting that shot in the UFC motivates fighters to whole new levels.

He deserves to fight in the UFC if he wants to, and isn't asking for an unreasonable amount of money.

Last edited 5/5/14 12:10AM server time by bustamante-aoki
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   5/5/14 12:08:53AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,184-1,225
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

Posted by Owens92x

Luiz Firmino was a big win when it happened, Azeredo got a title shot against Gomi from it and Naoyuki Kotani (ZST champion and currently on a huge win streak) is another good win he has on his resume, and is also one of the fastest K.O's in Pride history. Milton Viera's pretty good and Camoes is no slouch either. He came really close to finishing Gomi in his prime. Cristiano Marcello was a 4-0 BJJ whiz when Azeredo beat him.

His first fight with Gomi is considered to be one of the best LW/WW fight ever to happen in Pride. He was top ten ranked for about 7 years or so.

Half of his losses came against top 5 ranked fighters (Sakurai, Gomi x 2, Kawajiri, and Joachim) and the rest are all against good fighters: Malyutin (Russian Sambo champ) Torres (who lost a split to Kampmann in the UFC) the Nazare fight was an injury, Tony DeSouza who was one of BJ Penns coaches and was a really good well rounded fighter in his day, he just didn't have a good enough chin. And some no name in his third fight. Most of those losses came after he lost his passion for the sport, Sometimes just getting that shot in the UFC motivates fighters to whole new levels.

He deserves to fight in the UFC if he wants to, and isn't asking for an unreasonable amount of money.

Fights that happened in PRIDE no longer hold much significance as far as getting your foot in the door with the UFC. Regardless of how impressive those wins might have been they weren't even from this decade.

If he wants a UFC fight he'll either have to win a fight against someone with some name recognition, or hope that someone gets injured and step in on short notice.

He's certainly better than many of the guys who've gotten fights in the Octagon, so I woudn't say its out of the question but at 37 I'm not sure the UFC would look his way even for a fill-in fight. There's likely a young prospect more able to fill the spot.

Post #6   5/5/14 12:51:15AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,184-1,486
Chips:
Of course he wants to fight in the UFC...every fighter does. I don't see it happening though. I don't blame the guy really. This article really isn't "news" but rather it is a peek into the dreams and delusions of a older low tier fighter who hasn't fought in a while. Can we hear what Shonie Carter is fantasizing about too? How about Bo Cantrell?

Post #7   5/5/14 2:51:39AM   

Owens92x

Standup Guy

Owens92x Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Owens92x

The UFC (especially the LW division) is filled with top guys and "good" fighters. His last fight with an opponent with any sort of name recognition was SEVEN years ago against Kawajiri. If he couldn't beat top/good fighters back in his prime (besides Silva and Daley), I highly doubt he'll beat any one noteworthy when he's 37 years old. WSOF will probably sign him so they can say they signed the guy who beat Anderson Silva.

Post #8   5/5/14 7:15:33AM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,823-1,106
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Mark hunt hadn't done anything for years either but the UFC gave him a shot and look at him now.

Jon Olav einemo as we'll and he put on some great fights in the UFC despite losing them both.

Mir took years off after the injury, came back and looked terrible but eventually became a top contender again.

Sure they're heavyweights but Luiz has some magic left in him too I bet.

I just think it's weak that someone like him can't get in the UFC when they have so many scrubs, and to the average fan the scrubs are better because they've fought in the UFC. THey don't have to give him a fight against a contender or anything. Just squeeze him on a card somewhere.

Post #9   5/5/14 9:49:46AM   

Owens92x

Standup Guy

Owens92x Avatar

Chips:

Mark hunt hadn't done anything for years either but the UFC gave him a shot and look at him now.

Jon Olav einemo as we'll and he put on some great fights in the UFC despite losing them both.

Mir took years off after the injury, came back and looked terrible but eventually became a top contender again.

I just think it's weak that someone like him can't get in the UFC when they have so many scrubs, and to the average fan the scrubs are better because they've fought in the UFC. THey don't have to give him a fight against a contender or anything. Just squeeze him on a card somewhere.

Mark hunt was signed because the division is shallow. He COULD have some magic left but his last fight was three years ago and lost by way of injury plus he's nearing 40 and he's no Dan Henderson. I say have him on TUF and go from there.

Last edited 5/5/14 1:12PM server time by Owens92x
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #10   5/5/14 10:36:53AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,456-896
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Owens92x

Mark hunt was signed because the division is shallow. He COULD have some magic left but his last fight was three years ago and lost by way of injury plus he's nearing 40 and he's no Dan Henderson. I say have him on TUF and go from there.

If I remember right, Hunt wasn't signed, but instead he was inherited from pride, or some other such technicality so they pretty much HAD to give him a fight. My memory is worse than bad though, so I could be wrong in that, and I'm certainly too lazy to go back and fact check.

Post #11   5/6/14 12:14:51AM