Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMA Playground v4.0 Patch Notes

Print  
  Page 1 of 8     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:
MMAPlayground.com 4.0 Patch Notes

New Design

We've disposed of the drab terribad "Neersping" design and have attempted to add more information and hints to the important game pages of the site to enforce a more cohesive and logical game flow

Pick'em

Our pick'em leagues interface has been completely re-written in order to make picking and researching fights easier

There are now 3 pick'em leagues: The Big Show (full UFC cards), Casual League (more on this below), and Best of the Rest (formerly referred to as "League 2" or "Secondary League")

"Share My Picks" graphic has been updated

Casual League

This league covers only main cards of UFC events (Note: for UFC events with only 4 main card bouts we will also include the final prelim fight) and is aimed at providing a game that the more casual MMA fan can play. Many do not have Fight Pass or don't have the time to keep up with the larger quantity of prospects and relative unknowns that now populate UFC undercards. This league also plays a role in the new Fantasy Pools game (more on this next)

Casual League uses a simplified pick format in which a user picks the winner and method (KO, Sub, Decision) while not having to pick the fight ending round

The picks / scoreboard for this league are completely separate from The Big Show (primary) league

You may select different picks for this league, or if you make picks in The Big Show and are happy with them you can use the "Import Picks" button to copy your selections over

Per-Event Fantasy MMA Pools

This is a new game/league entirely. Players create and enter "pools" in which their picks for a single event from any of our 3 leagues are matched against whoever else joins that "pool"

This game uses a new currency system, "chips". It costs chips to enter a pool. These chips are then awarded to the pool winner(s)

Pool formats include 1v1, winner take all, and tourney

Tourney pools award the top 25% point scores out of the chip buy-in of all players that entered said pool in a mathematically proportionate manner

Example: A player creates a fantasy pool for an upcoming MMA event. They select “tourney” as the game type, a max pool size of 80 people, with a buy-in of 5 chips. Once the event has taken place, the top 1/4 of point scores get chips added to their account total taken from the chip buy-in total of all the pool players (minus a 10% house cut) in an amount proportional to the place in which they finished in that specific pool. In this example the math works out to 77.3 chips for 1st place in the pool, 41.1 for 2nd, all the way down to 8.6 for 20th place

Pools may be scored using the standard pick'em game scoring (hot bout, underdog bonus, etc) or a simplified point system in which a smaller static number of points is tabulated (correct pick yields 3 points, detail(s) yield 1 point)

All players start with 10 chips. Participation in any of our 3 pick'em leagues will reward players with additional chips to ensure that you always have chips to work with, similar to the familiar synergy between the pick'em and betting leagues

Forums

Forum and PM timestamps will display in your local timezone or in a time elapsed format on most browsers now

Annoyance corrected: smilies and post features (bold, link, etc) will no longer cause you to lose your place in what you were writing (applies to new topic, reply, PM, fight camp PM broadcast, and private fight camp message boards)

You may now embed videos into your posts, PM's, and Fight Camp message boards from any of the top 5 major video sites

You crazy talented users with 8 mile long accolades will now adjust to columns so that they all fit on the screen

If you happen to make it past 2000 props your props meter is now gold

Anyone who reaches 1,000 posts can edit their avatar caption and enter a forum signature. Links / html are not permitted in forum signatures, and they are limited to 3 lines

Fighter Rankings

The old fighter rankings system has been completely scrapped - it just had too many problems and was too outdated

Because the old system was scrapped and this new one is built from an entirely new set of code and database tables your old rankings no longer exist. You will have to repopulate from scratch. Apologies, but it had to be done

Divisions will now only require an update if a top 10 fighter from that division has performed on a recent card

All games and the new fighter ranking system now pull from a central fighters database - so as long as someone has performed in any of our leagues they are now rankable fighters. Any old fighters for "Fan Favorites" may have to be added to be rankable. If this applies to you, just post it in the Game Talk forum

There are now 13 divisions to rank which includes women's strawweight (being added to UFC later this year) and "I Always Root Against" which is called "Most Controversial" on the front end

The weight of your vote counting towards the overall rankings still depends on how accurately you make your picks in The Big Show

It may take a few days and/or several people to input some rankings before the front-end rankings show up. Once this takes place, the most commonly selected fighters in each division will auto-populate the default interface view so that you won't have to search for each fighter individually. TL;DR - once the system is populated it will take less work to find and rank your fighters

Fantasy Betting League

The back-end of the website now has an option to manually set the odds for a fight, which means that when possible (after we get past this launch and if we have the data entry man-power to do so) we will try to enter the odds for upcoming bouts based on the real Vegas odds

Miscellaneous

Any page that requires instructions or info in order to use now has a "Instructions/Info" link that you can collapse/expand for further details on what to do and how to do it

The fight camp directory / ranking page now has an option to view past season winners

The fight camp rankings are still going to be based on group participation in The Big Show for now

Premium membership is no more

Ridiculous season names are no more

Because our primary focus is now on providing the best fantasy games that we can, some of our lesser used sections are in "archive" mode until further notice (Videos, Blog, Martial Arts Schools, etc)

FAQ's page has been updated

Getting started page created

There are numerous smaller tweaks / changes throughout the site not worth an individual bullet points, and there's a 99.9% chance that there will be bugs and pages that were overlooked. Please report anything you find that doesn't function properly

Beta testers: thank you for the help getting things ready

Mass Unban

Let's be honest here - we've had our ups and downs, forum drama, and plenty of internet scraps over the years. Many of these cases were controversial to say the least

In an effort to turn a new leaf over, we are planning a mass unban. There will probably be a few exceptions, but nearly all old players that want to play again are welcome back

We ask that everyone please do their best to leave the past in the past for any that return, "bury the hatchet", live and let live. Please leave the fighting to the professionals

Post #1   4/21/14 2:19:27PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,897-1,500
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Awesome job

Post #2   4/21/14 2:23:05PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Whooooo!

I recommend everyone read the first post and not skim through it.

Finally, Neersping is in the rear view mirror

Post #3   4/21/14 2:25:20PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:
Neosporin?

Post #4   4/21/14 2:30:59PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,136-1,243
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Rabi

Post #5   4/21/14 2:35:38PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Rabi

If anyone you know wants to get their account re-activated now just tell them to use the site contact form and I'll do it manually. Lotta stuff to sift through for a large-scale "unban".

Last edited 4/21/14 5:32PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   4/21/14 2:39:42PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Chips:
I like what I'm seeing. Great job to everyone who had a hand in doing this.

Last edited 4/21/14 2:49PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   4/21/14 2:44:26PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,629-937
Chips:
Stoked for the update! Appriciate all the work put into this

Post #8   4/21/14 3:10:03PM   

Card

MMA Regular

Card Avatar

Career:1,294-663
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Amazing job all. Excited to use the new features.

Post #9   4/21/14 3:24:29PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:
I cant find the feature that allows me to look into other fight camp forums

Post #10   4/21/14 3:31:28PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:
Awesome job on being able to view past Fight Camp seasons, something I've been wanting to view for a while

Post #11   4/21/14 3:33:07PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,692-972
Chips:
Looks good. Cant wait to get on my laptop & mess around with it.

Post #12   4/21/14 3:47:42PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,136-1,243
Chips:
Where do I find the My Fight camp?

Post #13   4/21/14 3:57:08PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar