Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Franklin: Next Fight a Title Shot in Cincy or Denver

Print  
Posted By Message

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:
Rich Franklin, a guest this morning at this morning's UFC-sponsored breakfast at the Associated Press Sports Editor's convention, told reporters that his next fight would be a title shot against the winner of Anderson Silva v. Nathan Marquardt. Franklin went on to say that the fight would take place either in Cincinnati or Denver (the latter, presumably, if Marquardt defeats Silva).

HERE (scroll down)

Post #1   6/21/07 6:31:07PM   

TB_The_Savior

Learning to Sprawl

TB_The_Savior Avatar

Career:127-49
Camp: MMA Forum
Chips:
Looks like Denver it is then.

Post #2   6/21/07 8:25:31PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:

Posted by TB_The_Savior

Looks like Denver it is then.

Now, mind you, the supposition that a Marquardt win would lead to a defense against Franklin in Denver is purely speculation on my behalf.

I base this off of the fact that Franklin told the crowd in Ohio, following his victory over Jason McDonald, that Dana told him a rematch against Silva would take place in Cincinnati. I suspect as long as the UFC can find a suitable venue to run the show, this will be the case if Silva successfully defends his title against Marquardt. Thus, you would think that if Silva is unsuccessful, the venue would wind up being in Denver.

But it could just be a situation where UFC finds a cheaper building or just decides they want to run a show in a "new" state (actualy, the first UFC event took place in Colorado, but this is hardly the same UFC).

Anyhow, I agree that Marquardt will defeat Silva to become the UFC Middleweight champion.

Post #3   6/21/07 8:55:46PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
First off Silva has to get passed Marquardt. Secodly if that happens Franklin better fight better then he did Okami otherwise Lights Out. I believe Marquardt is going to be Silva though

Post #4   6/21/07 9:23:24PM   

BispingFutureChampLance

Learning to Sprawl

BispingFutureChampLance Avatar

Career:1,475-981
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
marquardt will NOT beat Silva. And it really doesnt matter as far as Franklin is considered because he cant beat either of them and will NEVER again own the title Belt. He will be a great testing ground for up and comers to test against aka. Mcdonald, but that is all Franklin will be good for in the future just a test for up and comers.

Post #5   6/21/07 10:28:36PM   

AmericanFighterAce

Banned

Career:990-702
Camp: Pure Adrenaline Radio
Chips:
See there is all of this talk about this fight happening in Cincinnati (I live in Cincinnati) but to be honest with you there is only 2 places in Cincinnati in which they could have it, Paul Brown Stadium (Cincinnati Bengal's Stadium) and GABP (CIncinnati Reds Stadium) both of which are outside and which could hold more than 10,000 people. Unless this is going to be a Ultimate Fight Night Main Event (Which would never happen) there is no place in Cincinnati for a UFC event.
Denver it wil be.

Post #6   6/22/07 12:14:43AM   

kimoron

MMA Regular

kimoron Avatar

Career:687-420
Chips:
having the home town behind him may give franklin a little more motivation but either way imo franklin wont beat silva if they fight again. it may not end in the clinch again but either way franklins going to be staring up at the lights at the end of the fight.

Post #7   6/22/07 4:00:21AM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
Props to my boy NME for breaking this story early.

UFC junkies just put it out today.

HERE

Post #8   6/29/07 1:04:08PM