Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ray Mercer V. Kevin Ferguson

Print  
Posted By Message

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
I want to talk about this fight again. I know there are other threads devoted to it, but all they say are "I hope Mercer knocks Kibmo out in the first round" I think that this is a freak fight, but with that being said who is going to break it down.

I don't see how Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson can compete with Mercer. Mercer is old, but apparently in shape. Ferguson can take a punch, but will gas out of the gate. When Bas said Kimbo was a nice guy I think he was being polite and didn't want to say that Kimbo sucks or Kimbo gets his ass kicked as practice everyday and has no chance with Mercer.

Then I look on Bodog for the odds and Ferguson is the big favorite. I don't get it.
Kimbo Slice -205
Ray Mercer +165

I know Mercer is old, but how in the world are the odds this far apart? Mercer got KOed in K-1 against Remy Bonjasky in 22 seconds, but that was a high kick and even though they will be allowed I don't think there will be any way for Kimbo to get his foot higher then Mercers belt line. The fact that it is a MMA match is strange and I don't think it will come into play that much, but if it does then I think Mercer sill has the advantage being a (former) top level athlete.

I think Kimbo can take a punch and he will take a lot of them on Saturday. Anybody else think these odds are ridiculous? I want peoples break downs of this joke of a fight and not who they hope to win.

Post #1   6/21/07 2:04:56PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:
Kimbo has been training with Bas Rutten. Do we know who Mercer has been training with, if anyone, specifically on his ground game?

Sure, Kimbo is...pretty much whatever anyone says he is. But if he come out and takes Mercer down, Mercer will probably be at a complete loss.

But yeah, I agree that if Kimbo's hubris gets the best of him and he goes in standing, Mercer will murder him. Kimbo can take a punch from random goofs off the street, but taking a punch from a former heavyweight boxing champion is a on a whole different level.

Post #2   6/21/07 2:34:46PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:
Mercer said he has been working ground and he would be ready if it went to the ground, but he didn't mention any names.

Interview with Mercer

Post #3   6/21/07 2:45:00PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
When I saw this I thought that Kimbo wasn't cleared to fight. I had no idea his real name is Kevin Ferguson. If Kimbo is smart he'll take it to the ground quick. He's training with Bas and I'm sure Bas has taught him well. What if Kimbo pulls out a flying triangle or something like that.

Post #4   6/21/07 2:50:05PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Chips:
Mercer by gogoplata.

Post #5   6/21/07 2:53:47PM   

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,390-1,573
Chips:
i lost all interest in this fight after i saw a video of ray mercer vs remy bonjasky in K-1.. remy threw one kick, caught him on the side of the head but didn't knock him out or even DOWN, and mercer just goes MEH and quits..

see for yourself

he says he is used to getting hit all the time (which he should be), but he quits after one kick? what is he going to do when he is being pounded on with little 4oz gloves instead of boxing gloves? the whole fight is a joke IMO

Post #6   6/21/07 3:32:51PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Chips:
The fight is a joke for sure. But with regards to how Mercer reacted to a high kick, you have to understand that psychologically, as a former heavyweight boxing champion, which is to say Mercer is a guy who was very used to hands and hands alone coming towards his head, seeing someone's leg come flying at you, connect, and almost certainly do more damage than you see in the video was too much for Mercer to handle.

Sometimes, despite things being explained very clearly, it's not until you experience them for yourself that your realize what you've gotten yourself into, and that appears to have been the case in Mercer's first fight. If he has trained to defend against kicks (although, seriously now, when has Kimbo ever thrown a kick?) and has learned how to defend takedowns to any degree, I feel Mercer will clobber Kimbo. Again, Kimbo throws bombs when he is fighting goofs he pulls off the street. Even with 4oz gloves, heavyweight boxers can take a punch as good as anyone on the planet (they have to, or they certainly are not capable of becoming a contender, let alone a champion).

I would be thrilled if one man, especially Mercer, won by submission, though.

Post #7   6/21/07 3:40:25PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i'll take kimbo by rear naked choke, or guillotine.

Post #8   6/21/07 4:08:45PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Kimbo by TKO in the 1st.

Post #9   6/21/07 4:46:49PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Kimbo by TKO in the 1st.

any thing to add? I don't care about your predicition. I want some analysis. How is the fight going to play out? What do you have to back up you claim that Kimbo can KO a real boxer?

Post #10   6/21/07 4:51:10PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,526-937
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by szucconi

Posted by Stickan

Kimbo by TKO in the 1st.

any thing to add? I don't care about your predicition. I want some analysis. How is the fight going to play out? What do you have to back up you claim that Kimbo can KO a real boxer?

KO Mercer? No. Very few top level boxers have been able to do that.

But he does seem to have a good chin adn he's a big guy so if he's really been cross-trainign the question is can he survive on his feet until the first clinch--which would probably happen 30 seconds in, even if they were just boxing. From there he should have the advantage--both throwing knees in the clinch and maybe outmuscling him to the ground.

The other thing is Mercer's age and fight career. He's in his 40s and he was a prime fighter making big money 10-15 years ago. For the last few years he has been a name opponent--making guys like Wlad Klitschko and Remy Bonjasky look good. Kimbo may actually have an MMA career in front of him (at least in his mind), Mercer has a career behind him. When the going gets tough I have to think he's going to collect his paycheck and try to get out of there without taking too much damage.

Post #11   6/21/07 8:54:58PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Kimbo by TKO in the 1st.

Thats my in depth analysis.

Last edited 6/21/07 9:25PM server time by rcg916
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   6/21/07 9:25:13PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:

Posted by ffforgottenx

i lost all interest in this fight after i saw a video of ray mercer vs remy bonjasky in K-1.. remy threw one kick, caught him on the side of the head but didn't knock him out or even DOWN, and mercer just goes MEH and quits..

see for yourself

he says he is used to getting hit all the time (which he should be), but he quits after one kick? what is he going to do when he is being pounded on with little 4oz gloves instead of boxing gloves? the whole fight is a joke IMO

That video clip says it all. It's called heart, drive, determination, desire... Mercer has none of these.

Post #13   6/21/07 10:47:42PM