Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Report: Serra vs. Hughes to Headline November Event in New Jersey

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

vcr88

Learning to Sprawl

vcr88 Avatar

Career:60-34
Camp: Adeo Armifer
Chips:
Man how silly some of what you guys are saying kos is as good fighter as GSP and just because GSP got knocked out like he did does not mean that he isnt a good stand up fighter. Serra got really lucky that GSP didnt tear him up like he did to Hughes. Now as for the Hughes Serra fight this is easily matt hughes is fight. hands down. Serra I think is not a good fighter at all and really shouldnt have that belt in the first place. I hate matt hughes and all but he is going to win their next fight.

Last edited 6/21/07 2:54AM server time by vcr88
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   6/21/07 2:53:29AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,737-1,519
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by vcr88

Man how silly some of what you guys are saying kos is as good fighter as GSP and just because GSP got knocked out like he did does not mean that he isnt a good stand up fighter. Serra got really lucky that GSP didnt tear him up like he did to Hughes. Now as for the Hughes Serra fight this is easily matt hughes is fight. hands down. Serra I think is not a good fighter at all and really shouldnt have that belt in the first place. I hate matt hughes and all but he is going to win their next fight.

I don't think anyone here denies that GSP is the better rounded fighter...the problem lies in the fact that Kos is distinctly a better wrestler. The question is whether that is enough. Matt Hughes made a career out of out-wrestling strikers and submission artists...so it' not a matter of if he's a better fighter, but rather if the gap in wrestling skills is enough for dominance. If the gap is large enough, you will probably see a match similar to Hughes/Sakuriai...if not, GSP will most definitely come out on top.

It should be interesting to see Koscheck's shot in this match. Kos probably has one of the most powerful double legs in MMA...on the other hand, he will probably keep a safer distance than usual, since GSP likes to throw kicks. How much that will affect his takedown ability is to be seen. Of coarse GSP didn't throw many kicks at Penn though, but that's how he kept Hughes at bay...so it may boil down to who's gameplan is better...either way, should be an interesting fight.

Post #17   6/21/07 11:52:05AM   

vcr88

Learning to Sprawl

vcr88 Avatar

Career:60-34
Camp: Adeo Armifer
Chips:
Well i guess i can see where youre coming from although i dont really think that just wrestling will do much against someone like GSP i mean look at what he did to hughes and hughes is known for his power and wrestling is he not.

Post #18   6/21/07 3:40:33PM   

Primo

MMA Regular

Primo Avatar

Career:20-17
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
Yo man you couldn't be any more wrong. First of all Serra dummied GSP, end of story. GSP came into that fight ready and motivated, he wasn't partying it up, the ****** guy lives at home WITH HIS PARENTS. Serra has bricks in his hands, and GSP's striking is sloppy. Against Hughes he looked like CC but that says more about Hughes then GSP. Penn busted GSP up with his hands, and if Kos keeps improving under AKA the way he has been I won't be surprised to see him out gun GSP standing. GSP does not have a solid jaw. As for his wrestling, it's on a total different level then Matt Hughes. Plus he's a better striker, GSP has the edge in subs, so we will see what happens.

Post #19   6/21/07 4:48:47PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
I'll be there. Hell yea.

I think Hughes will be to strong for Serra. Hughes won't play the game of standing and banging, he'll go back to his bread and butter, Ground-n-Pound.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #20   6/21/07 5:07:38PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,737-1,519
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Agreed, Matt Hughes can make anyone look good at striking. I still think that GSP can outstrike Kos, but it depends what his gameplan is. If he straight up boxes with him, like he did with Penn, he may come up on the losing end of the battle...it would be adventageous for him to mix it up with the hands and the feet. Koscheck would be less likely to keep up, if that is the case...Josh has been known to throw kicks here and there, but is still a little sloppy...he tends to slip and fall a lot. Also, it would be easier for GSP to catch him off guard with his hands if he didn't know what was coming next. I'm sure both of them respect the other's abilities, so it will be interesting to see what aspect of the game they shy away from, in an attempt to avoid making a mistake.

At the end of the day, I just hope it's as exciting as it looks on paper.

Last edited 6/21/07 5:24PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #21   6/21/07 5:19:13PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
GO SERRA!!!!!

Post #22   6/21/07 7:42:22PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
1 more thing on Serra. The man is no push over He's gone 9-4 in the UFC and 3 of those losses were by decision to top guys Penn, Parisiyan, and Din Thomas. He also beat Chris Lytle who took Hughes the distance and then he beat the crap out of GSP. So maybe the guy is that good. Give the man some credit. He also won tuf 4. Serra is a Terra!!! East Coast baby. Hughes is in for a rough night!!!!!

Post #23   6/21/07 8:22:20PM   

TB_The_Savior

Learning to Sprawl

TB_The_Savior Avatar

Career:127-49
Camp: MMA Forum
Chips:
As much as I hate to say it...I bet Country Breakfast will grind out a SD in this bout. Oh, and I bet Pete Sell will fight on this card.

Post #24   6/22/07 12:18:44AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2