Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Report: Serra vs. Hughes to Headline November Event in New Jersey

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra (8-4 MMA, 6-4 UFC) will make his first-ever title defense against former champ Matt Hughes (41-5 MMA, 15-3 UFC) at a November pay-per-view event in New Jersey — not at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale.

LINK

Post #1   6/20/07 6:57:08PM   

ultimatefighter33

MMA Regular

ultimatefighter33 Avatar

Career:61-41
Chips:
hughes is awesome but i think serra will retain his title i think the 1 to take it away will be kos

Post #2   6/20/07 7:07:12PM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:

Posted by ultimatefighter33

hughes is awesome but i think serra will retain his title i think the 1 to take it away will be kos

you got to be kidding me...you think gsp's gonna lose to koscheck...and serra's gonna upset again...as much as i want serra to win so that gsp can come back and beat his ass i know that hughes will take the fight

Post #3   6/20/07 7:09:29PM   

awechet

Learning to Sprawl

awechet Avatar

Career:123-84
Chips:
November is so long from now but i guess i can get my fill of trash talking from TUF 6 till then. And, nice to see the UFC heading back to the East Coast.

Post #4   6/20/07 8:11:33PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
East Coast Baby. Let's go Serra!!!!!!!

Post #5   6/20/07 8:16:06PM   

babalu2720

In Full Mount

babalu2720 Avatar

Career:1,245-647
Chips:
I agree Porch East Coast... Let's go Serra!! Matt Hughes does nothing to excite me and id rather root for the underground. All Serra needs to do is keep the belt warm for Koscheck. Sorry GSP fans

Post #6   6/20/07 9:25:12PM   

xkillerbx

Learning to Sprawl

xkillerbx Avatar

Career:142-79
Chips:
Awesome! UFC back on the East Coast again! I'm excited for this.

Post #7   6/20/07 9:30:34PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Chips:
Thats right go Serra and Koscheck. I live in Jersey so this will be awesome!!! Now I just have to take a second mortgage out to afford good tickets

Post #8   6/20/07 9:32:20PM   

Thunderfighting

MMA Regular

Thunderfighting Avatar

Career:184-111
Camp: Hancock County Top Team
Chips:
i dont think gsp can win it again, and if he does he will choke again. Nothing against "the terror" but i really think gsp choked big time in that fight. And i think koscheck has a chance(anyone has a chance), but gsp will end up with the win. As for Serra and Hughes, i think Serra will win a close one.

Post #9   6/20/07 9:39:14PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Chips:
Well all I know is it will be great watching all those fights!

Post #10   6/20/07 9:46:13PM   

Primo

MMA Regular

Primo Avatar

Career:20-17
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by aznteabagger

you got to be kidding me...you think gsp's gonna lose to koscheck...and serra's gonna upset again...as much as i want serra to win so that gsp can come back and beat his ass i know that hughes will take the fight

You've got to be kidding me...I realize you think GSP is God and is your favorite fighter, but Koscheck will beat him. Whenever GSP is outgunned on his feet he goes for the TDs, he will have NO CHANCE at taking down Koscheck. His striking is overrated, Serra blew through him and would again if they kept it standing. Yeah he owned Matt Hughes standing,but who doesn't??? Koscheck will beat GSP, and I HOPE Serra beats Matt Hughes' ass....he better, EAST COAST-ITALIAN STYLE!!

Post #11   6/20/07 9:48:26PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

The only chance that Serra has against Hughes is a puncher's chance...and GSP is the only person he's ever KO'd, so not very likely. Serra hasn't submitted anyone in over 5 years...plus Hughes has some decent BJJ of his own, which equals a good defense, so I don't see that happening. Only one option is left for Serra...he would never win a decision against Hughes...he would have to out-wrestle him to do so...and since 5 rounds is a long time, Matt could very well win via GnP. Hughes by decision or TKO.

The Kos/GSP mathup is a pretty interesting one. GSP is obviously the better rounded fighter, but Kos has a slight wrestling advantage. The question still remains whether Josh's wrestling is enough to defeat GSP. I don't see Kos being able to finish on the ground or standing, so he will need to consistantly take GSP down and hold him down to grind out a decision. This would be a much easier task, if GSP's wrestling wasn't as good as it is. I see him getting taken down, but not being held there for 15 minutes for sure. GSP definitely has the ability to finish the fight standing...lighter on his feet, with a larger arsenal, but Koscheck's striking improvements may be just enough to neutralize this portion of the game. St Pierre has a great submission game as well, but I foresee a bunch of scrambling and switches occuring on the ground. GSP by decision...Kos has a fighting chance though.

Post #12   6/20/07 11:10:33PM   

Primo

MMA Regular

Primo Avatar

Career:20-17
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

The only chance that Serra has against Hughes is a puncher's chance...and GSP is the only person he's ever KO'd, so not very likely. Serra hasn't submitted anyone in over 5 years...plus Hughes has some decent BJJ of his own, which equals a good defense, so I don't see that happening. Only one option is left for Serra...he would never win a decision against Hughes...he would have to out-wrestle him to do so...and since 5 rounds is a long time, Matt could very well win via GnP. Hughes by decision or TKO.

The Kos/GSP mathup is a pretty interesting one. GSP is obviously the better rounded fighter, but Kos has a slight wrestling advantage. The question still remains whether Josh's wrestling is enough to defeat GSP. I don't see Kos being able to finish on the ground or standing, so he will need to consistantly take GSP down and hold him down to grind out a decision. This would be a much easier task, if GSP's wrestling wasn't as good as it is. I see him getting taken down, but not being held there for 15 minutes for sure. GSP definitely has the ability to finish the fight standing...lighter on his feet, with a larger arsenal, but Koscheck's striking improvements may be just enough to neutralize this portion of the game. St Pierre has a great submission game as well, but I foresee a bunch of scrambling and switches occuring on the ground. GSP by decision...Kos has a fighting chance though.

I disagree with some of that IMO. GSP's wrestling is nowhere near as good as Koscheck's, and even if he can scramble back up and he can be taken down repeatedly. GSP has the ability to finish the fight standing? Maybe, but so does Koscheck. GSP is overrated standing, Serra and BJ brought it to him. He has a lot of holes, and I feel Koscheck has better footwork based off his fight vs Sanchez. GSP could catch him in a sub, but he will never be on top of Koscheck, and standing I think it's even at best, I would actually give the edge to Koscheck. So if GSP doesn't catch him in a sub he will lose.

As for Serra, I agree, but don't think Matt Hughes is even half decent standing, because he's not. I think Hughes will take him down and grind him out with a TKO or decision, but there's no chance he stands with Serra, if he does, he will get layed out.

Post #13   6/20/07 11:23:18PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
everyone hatin on gsp....wow after a boring ass kos/sanchez fight ......boring ass hughes. , the only good match involving any of these boys would be gsp/serra or gsp/hughes........gsp gets the belt back one of these ways....don't be silly boys

Post #14   6/21/07 1:04:48AM   

KingKash

MMA Regular

KingKash Avatar

Career:507-390
Camp: hot kASH
Chips:
All that I want to happen is for Hughes to get his ass kicked by someone. He needs to be shut up. His last fight was a bore too watch. He did not do anything to show that he wanted the win and I think that Serra is going to win the fight against him.

Last edited 6/21/07 1:54AM server time by KingKash
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   6/21/07 1:47:16AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2