Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tyron Woodley calls Joe Rogan's UFC 171 commentary 'horrendous,' feels he's being punished for being in shape

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,876-1,035
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
With his UFC 171 victory over Carlos Condit undeniably marred by injury, Tyron Woodley feels he's been unfairly characterized as just a fitness model brawler. Oft criticized for a slowing workrate during later rounds, Woodley experienced a noticeable drop-off in a split decision loss to Jake Shields at UFC 161 last June. Conversely, Woodley's best work typically comes in the form of spectacular first-round knockouts, as Josh Koscheck learned at UFC 167 in November.

Link

Post #1   3/19/14 12:13:57PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,876-1,035
Chips:
Be sure to check out the full interview, guys. Rabi did an excellent job.

Post #2   3/19/14 12:15:56PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,318-904
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Joe Rogan was terrible at 171, I agree. So did the other people at my house watching, both new and seasoned viewers were expressing the same sentiment often.

I think he has a producer in his ear giving him a general narrative to follow. I don't see how he can be this bad now.

Post #3   3/19/14 12:18:18PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,860-1,571
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I haven't been a fan of Rogans commentating for a long time now.

Post #4   3/19/14 12:30:33PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,627-954
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

Joe Rogan was terrible at 171, I agree. So did the other people at my house watching, both new and seasoned viewers were expressing the same sentiment often.

I think he has a producer in his ear giving him a general narrative to follow. I don't see how he can be this bad now.

Yup. I'm a big Rogan fan but I was when he said Rory Mac deserved the next shot. It was equally irritating bc he said Lombard didn't show enough aggression despite dominating a dude who has one of the best records in the UFC. Writing off T-Wood's victory was garbage too.

Post #5   3/19/14 12:43:03PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
It looks like I'm going to be in the minority here based on the comments thus far. After listening to the interview I do think that Woodley has some valid points, but I also think he's pushing for a title shot and perhaps doesn't take criticism very well. He's absolutely right about Joe crediting Condit with some positive response to every offensive gain that Woodley made, and as a fighter I can see how that could be frustrating.

However, that is sort of Joe's job as a commentator. It never felt to me like he took away from Tyron's performance at all. Rogan gave Woodley credit for his heavy striking, his explosiveness, and his wrestling ability. He did credit Condit for having a solid chin and an active ground game from his back but those comments didn't take away from Woodley's performance at all in my opinion. The other thing I'll point out, and someone has already said it on this thread, is that Joe absolutely does have a producer in his ear giving him input as to how to call a fight, especially when it's that fast paced. If you listen to Rogan's commentary overall he is incredible when it comes to the technical aspects of the game. Most fans who do not train would never know the significance of a guard pass or the intricacies of moving from one position to another if it weren't for Joe Rogan. He is hands down the best commentator in the business.

It sounds to me like Woodley simply wants his shot at the title, and with GSP out of the picture, a lot of guys have a valid claim to that spot. This interview reminded me a lot of Rampage's interview about Joe Rogan after he fought Jon Jones just more diplomatic and eloquent. The reality is that these guys are the best fighters on the planet and with that comes a great deal of ego. Traditionally people who are the best at something don't take criticism well from people who are not on the same level and this interview sounded like a prime example of that to me. The thing is Joe Rogan is a very accomplished mixed martial artist and has a great deal of knowledge about the sport. I've never viewed his commentary as condemning to fighters, but rather constructive. Woodley has looked great recently and I hope he keeps the ball rolling on his way to a title shot, but if he doesn't get it, it won't be because of Joe's commentary but rather because with GSP gone the flood gates have opened and a ton of talent is standing at the door.

Post #6   3/19/14 1:01:35PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,553-1,348
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Never been a Woodley fan

Post #7   3/19/14 1:04:39PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Rogan is incredibly bias and it's absolutely detrimental to his job. The point of a color commentator is to fill in technical information and make the general feel of the fight more exciting. Good color commentators talk the fighters up on both sides and leave you thinking a good fight was awesome.

The issue is, he picks a side and tends to credit that fighter while detracting from the other, and does this frequently. I noticed his attitude with Condit vs Woodley as well, and it was silly because Woodley was dominating that fight. Condit landed all of three decent strikes while Woodley would have KO'd him repeatedly if he didn't have such a great chin.

The way Rogan did color on that fight made it seem like he was being petty, rather than informative or exciting.

Last edited 3/19/14 2:08PM server time by svartorm
Edit note/reason: n/a

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #8   3/19/14 2:08:35PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,565-951
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Rogan and Goldie are higher than shit these days. Twice during the Scoggins-Campuzano fight, Joe said "this is the first time we've seen him in the octagon", referring to Scoggins. One of those times I'm pretty sure came after Goldie referenced Scoggins-Vaculik. And if he was referring to the fact that he didn't call that fight, then that's not erroneous, just poor commentating.

Big props to Rabi for getting the Woodley interview and breaking this story

Last edited 3/19/14 2:53PM server time by pmoney

Post #9   3/19/14 2:49:41PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 37-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,554-985
Chips:
Rogan is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
I often hit the mute button once Bruce does the introductions. I had Fight Night 27 on mute until my buddy texted me asking if I liked Hardys commentary

Post #10   3/19/14 3:44:29PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,967-941
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
My biggest issue lately is that Rogan seems to be losing his edge on getting the technical details correct. Maybe I'm just becoming better informed, but occasionally its getting to the point that I'm actually embarrassed for him. This sort of thing was particularly noticeable when he completely missed OSP choking out Krylov. Maybe he had a bad angle on it, but I was baffled at what I was seeing and hearing him talk about something trivial while a fighter was rather obviously being finished.

As for Woodley, he's clearly not the top contender at the moment. He's got a loss in his last 3, two losses in his last 5, and his most recent win (although taken from a high level opponent) was not exactly definitive. He needs 1-2 more top level wins to have any realistic expectation to have a title shot...especially with guys like Lombard, Rory, Brown, Saffiedine, and Kim all in the hunt. Then again, Lawler's track record before his shot was hardly anymore impressive than Woodley's so you never know these days.

Last edited 3/19/14 6:30PM server time by OnyxShadow

Post #11   3/19/14 6:23:46PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
How did it take the general public this long to realize how awful of a commentator Rogan is? Goldberg isn't the most knowledgeable but at least he puts in the effort to learn and I'd rather listen to him or the fight night commentators any day. Rogan is biased, loves to show off his "knowledge", and seems like he's there more to pat his own ego and that of his favorites.

Post #12   3/19/14 6:28:24PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Rogan is incredibly bias and it's absolutely detrimental to his job. The point of a color commentator is to fill in technical information and make the general feel of the fight more exciting. Good color commentators talk the fighters up on both sides and leave you thinking a good fight was awesome.

The issue is, he picks a side and tends to credit that fighter while detracting from the other, and does this frequently. I noticed his attitude with Condit vs Woodley as well, and it was silly because Woodley was dominating that fight. Condit landed all of three decent strikes while Woodley would have KO'd him repeatedly if he didn't have such a great chin.

The way Rogan did color on that fight made it seem like he was being petty, rather than informative or exciting.

Exactly. I don't understand why people feel it is the job of the commentator to do what Rogan does. Rogan asserts a number of things for which he has no basis. He rampantly speculates that a guy is gassed or tiring or hurt or has this or that. There are a number of times when Rogan's comments look foolish not even 30 seconds later.

Nobody is saying you can't tell it like it is while commenting, but Rogan doesn't do that. He comes off as a shill for whomever it the company is trying to push. He and Helwani dismissed Woodley's win and now it's come out that Woodley's kick was the primary reason Condit will have to have ACL surgery. It doesn't get much more definitive than kicking a guy so hard you blow out his leg.

Post #13   3/19/14 6:39:36PM