Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Johny Hendricks Interview – UFC 171, Call of Duty and TRT

Print  
Posted By Message

nwowolfpack

MMA Regular

nwowolfpack Avatar

Career:403-346
Camp: PunchDrunkGamer
Chips:
The #1 ranked UFC welterweight Johny Hendricks recently took some time to talk with PunchDrunkGamer about his upcoming fight at UFC 171 against Robbie Lawler, the recent ban on TRT, medical marijuana, Call of Duty and more. Enjoy!

PDG: When they were letting fighters use TRT, the commissions were still treating medical marijuana and recreational use of marijuana like a performance enhancing drug (PED). What is your opinion on that and should fighters be able to use medical marijuana?

Johny Hendricks: Here is the thing, marijuana is still illegal in how many states, 50 out of 52! So your sitting there and knowing that it is illegal basically everywhere and so I look at that situation a little bit differently. I don’t know all of the facts about it but I do know that for one thing it can help you stay relaxed and calm. So that could give a fighter an edge going into a fight because if you were stressed, you could smoke a little bit, calm down and potentially give you an advantage going into the Octagon because you could have the mindset of “well I am not to worried about this fight”. Whereas your opponent could be really stressed out and it could cause him to make a mistake that costs him the fight. That brings us back to the TRT issue, what does it do to your body? Does it make 18 again?

Johny Hendricks Interview – UFC 171, Call of Duty and TRT

Post #1   3/12/14 4:59:04PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,947-1,203
Chips:
At first regarding his MJ comments, I was going to say he probably partakes..but then after reading his thoughts, I don't think he does

I wouldn't care if my opponent smokes. He says it "calms you down"...yes and no - it all depends on the person, their surroundings, circumstances, etc... my point being, it could very well give you anxiety when trying to calm down

either way, I don't think it has any advantage or disadvantage really

Post #2   3/12/14 6:57:51PM   

traveller77

MMA Regular

traveller77 Avatar

Career:897-448
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

I was thinking the same thing. He definately doesnt partake. I think it would be detrimental to use weed right before a fight, and right before is the only time you could argue it could calm an opponent down in a way it would help him win. I dont think even Diaz would have any right before fighting, you need your senses to be sharp and weed obviously does the opposite.

Post #3   3/12/14 7:26:09PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by traveler77
you need your senses to be sharp and weed obviously does the opposite.

Which brings us back to the Call of Duty issue...

Not only is Johnny Hendricks the only person on Earth who thinks fighting high would give you an advantage, he is also the only person on Earth still playing Black Ops 2

Last edited 3/12/14 8:26PM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   3/12/14 8:23:33PM