Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Going back to college in my 30's

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

My advice: Don't even waste your time with the girls. They'll think you're gross because you're old.

My wife would agree

Post #16   3/3/14 3:28:58PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Chips:

Posted by Ordep

As a PhD candidate and current college instructor my suggestion is to make time early and try to study the material right after the class is over or later that day. Same old obvious advice but most people will still procrastinate and try to do last minute miracles usually leading to poor performance. I've been encouraging this to my students by giving them sporadic quizzes(even super easy ones) the very next day the material is covered and by the time the big exam comes they have been ready for a while and do very well. I've been getting good feedback from them and even if it seems like it'll consume a lot of time it's actually the opposite.

If you decide to go this way it'll make it easier by habit. Really digging the material right away will help you absorb more during the next class period making the later study sections shorter and easier. Sometimes up to the point that you may only need the lecture and a few minutes afterwards.

About technology it will all depend on class requirements. If you are doing any calculations or fancy analyses a computer will be a must so you can crack that in excel or other statistical software. Same story if you will be required to do PowerPoint presentations. For notes, I'm completely against it, specially tablets. It's a complete distraction and it's not helpful at all. Notebooks(with paper sheets, not machines) are the way to go. Writing by hand helps a lot in the digestion of the class material. If you want to keep electronic notes typing those into a computer later on will be helpful as you will be indirectly reviewing and will give you the chance to expand them based on extra knowledge you may have acquired between the moment you wrote them in class to the moment you enter them.

Good luck

Great advice, I really had poor study habits in High School and it somewhat trickled over into college in my late teens. It is one aspect I'm a bit worried about so any advice on that is much appreciated

Post #17   3/3/14 3:30:17PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Chips:
I'm actually thinking about doing to the same
Went to college for 6 years in my 20's never did finish
Would like to go to back to culinary arts again

Post #18   3/5/14 1:24:36PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2