Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Going back to college in my 30's

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,646-1,392
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Its been well over a decade since I last went to college. Doing a complete career change for the 2nd time and going back to school. Starting this summer with 2 classes to get back in the hang of it.

Any advice/tips etc from current or former students? I was in college well before the internet phase and smartphone/tablet/laptop phase, so is getting a Laptop needed or just plain pen and notebook still ok?

Gotta admit its exciting and a little nerve racking, most of my classes are going to be biology math, classes I havent took since I was in 10th grade.

Post #1   3/2/14 8:55:23PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,466-906
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I wouldn't say getting a laptop is mandatory, but it will probably help. I've always used the old pen/pencil and notebook system, but that's primarily because I'm too lazy to carry a laptop around with me and apparently in my mind a book bag packed full of stuff is less work. For me there were a lot of times though that I felt like I should have brought my laptop because I definitely type faster than I write and there were some times that the teachers would go through things so fast that I had trouble keeping up with the notes and had to start skipping some words and coming up with shorthand versions of things to compensate.

Post #2   3/2/14 10:05:40PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,988-1,015
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I would go with a surface 2 pro tablet, very light and has the pen.

Post #3   3/2/14 11:24:38PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

I wouldn't say getting a laptop is mandatory, but it will probably help. I've always used the old pen/pencil and notebook system, but that's primarily because I'm too lazy to carry a laptop around with me and apparently in my mind a book bag packed full of stuff is less work. For me there were a lot of times though that I felt like I should have brought my laptop because I definitely type faster than I write and there were some times that the teachers would go through things so fast that I had trouble keeping up with the notes and had to start skipping some words and coming up with shorthand versions of things to compensate.

Best bet would be to invest in an ipad. My oldest brother is in his 30's and just started back last year and he said his ipad is a life saver. He just sets it up and records the class so he can play it back whenever he needs it.

Post #4   3/2/14 11:29:19PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:1,025-548
Chips:
I was going to say, just buy a Google Chromebook for $200 to use to take notes and study. But I definitely like Fast KO's idea of just filming the damn lectures. Sure as hell didn't have that shit when Shawn was in school and dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Lol jk.

Good luck and kick ass!

Post #5   3/2/14 11:47:10PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:822-526
Chips:
Just finished up in 2012. Not sure how similar it'll be but textbooks seemed to be best bought/sold on Amazon. Laptop is definitely good for notes, etc. Excited for you man!

Post #6   3/2/14 11:51:53PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,466-906
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Best bet would be to invest in an ipad. My oldest brother is in his 30's and just started back last year and he said his ipad is a life saver. He just sets it up and records the class so he can play it back whenever he needs it.

...You just had to go there and one up me didn't you?

That is a better idea though. I've heard of people doing that where I go to college with old school tape recorders. I always considered doing that but again my natural tendency toward laziness won out and I decided that going back and listening to every lecture would be too much of a hassle for my liking. With all the money I've spent of late to get me a ps4, a 3ds, and the money I still intend to spend to get me all kinds of new toys to play with, I could, and probably should put some of that aside to get me an ipad or something of that nature for when I go back to college when the 2 classes I have roll back around and I can finish out my degree.

Post #7   3/3/14 12:22:05AM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:758-541
Camp: TKO
Chips:
from my college experience avoid technology. It can be so distracting. I always do pen and paper. The one time I did laptop I didn't pay attention in the class much. I'd type up the guy's powerpoint really quick then go back to doing whatever I was doing.

Post #8   3/3/14 1:12:33AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,581-1,383
Chips:

Posted by ChrisSabal

from my college experience avoid technology. It can be so distracting. I always do pen and paper. The one time I did laptop I didn't pay attention in the class much. I'd type up the guy's powerpoint really quick then go back to doing whatever I was doing.

I agree, I feel like you pay more attention when you're actually involved with pen to paper

Post #9   3/3/14 2:05:13AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-46

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,398-909
Chips:
Remember to be nice to the other students! That's how you make friends

Post #10   3/3/14 6:43:55AM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
As a PhD candidate and current college instructor my suggestion is to make time early and try to study the material right after the class is over or later that day. Same old obvious advice but most people will still procrastinate and try to do last minute miracles usually leading to poor performance. I've been encouraging this to my students by giving them sporadic quizzes(even super easy ones) the very next day the material is covered and by the time the big exam comes they have been ready for a while and do very well. I've been getting good feedback from them and even if it seems like it'll consume a lot of time it's actually the opposite.

If you decide to go this way it'll make it easier by habit. Really digging the material right away will help you absorb more during the next class period making the later study sections shorter and easier. Sometimes up to the point that you may only need the lecture and a few minutes afterwards.

About technology it will all depend on class requirements. If you are doing any calculations or fancy analyses a computer will be a must so you can crack that in excel or other statistical software. Same story if you will be required to do PowerPoint presentations. For notes, I'm completely against it, specially tablets. It's a complete distraction and it's not helpful at all. Notebooks(with paper sheets, not machines) are the way to go. Writing by hand helps a lot in the digestion of the class material. If you want to keep electronic notes typing those into a computer later on will be helpful as you will be indirectly reviewing and will give you the chance to expand them based on extra knowledge you may have acquired between the moment you wrote them in class to the moment you enter them.

Good luck

Post #11   3/3/14 12:36:51PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,246-1,208
Chips:
You might just need a computer for PowerPoint projects, or to download textbooks. I personally agree with Chris and used a pencil and paper for most of my classes.

On a side note, I went back to college in when I was 29, and it was the best decision I've ever made. Good luck with everything

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #12   3/3/14 2:14:16PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
My advice: Don't even waste your time with the girls. They'll think you're gross because you're old.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #13   3/3/14 2:37:55PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

My advice: Don't even waste your time with the girls. They'll think you're gross because you're old.

Aw c'mon. Some girls really dig older dudes. And half the time they have daddy issues too

Post #14   3/3/14 2:43:21PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,646-1,392
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

Remember to be nice to the other students! That's how you make friends

Fuck them

Post #15   3/3/14 3:26:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2