Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Former UFC heavyweight champ Mark Coleman selling Pride GP 2000 trophy on Ebay for $24.5K

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Four years after his retirement from MMA, the first ever UFC heavyweight champion has put his Pride Grand Prix 200 trophy up for auction on Ebay.

Link

Post #1   2/25/14 12:42:41AM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,069-1,288
Chips:
Man, I would love to own that piece of history

Post #2   2/25/14 3:16:59AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Damn that's so sick! That would be amazing to have.

Post #3   2/25/14 4:20:27AM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,004-584
Camp: TKO
Chips:
This kind of makes me sad. I could be wrong, but I assume he is selling it because he needs the money. Its always sad when legends have to sell their trophies. I hope I'm wrong and he is just one of those ex athletes who dont care about that stuff once they move on with their lives.

Post #4   2/25/14 8:26:06AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

This kind of makes me sad. I could be wrong, but I assume he is selling it because he needs the money. Its always sad when legends have to sell their trophies. I hope I'm wrong and he is just one of those ex athletes who dont care about that stuff once they move on with their lives.

He's not the seller, it's a collector that apparently bought it from him some time ago. It's kind of sad that he sold it in the first place, but he did have some money issues a few years back if I recall, and his gloves from that tourney were also up on E-Bay a few years back. Like you said, maybe he's just not a sentimental guy and that thing does take up some real estate. Guys weren't getting filthy rich doing this in the 90's.

Last edited 2/25/14 9:30AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/25/14 9:29:36AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
If I was well off, I would buy the trophy from the collector and give it back to him.

Post #6   2/25/14 9:42:22AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

If I was well off, I would buy the trophy from the collector and give it back to him.

Ah, but would he just sell it again? I had the same thought, and realized it might just be throwing money away because sometimes we fans are more sentimental than the fighters themselves.

Post #7   2/25/14 9:53:39AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by KungFuMaster

Ah, but would he just sell it again? I had the same thought, and realized it might just be throwing money away because sometimes we fans are more sentimental than the fighters themselves.

You would give it to him with the condition he cannot sell it. When he's long gone, his kids or grand-kids can do whatever they want with it.

Post #8   2/25/14 10:52:23AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I read he was making $100k a fight in Pride in his prime. His disclosed payout for Pride 32 was $70k and his last event with UFC was $60k, so he definitely made some cash. Also teaches at Xtreme Couture as far as I know, so has an income.

Hard to say what's going on, but even in his hey day he wasn't exactly flashing money around, so would be difficult for him to go broke so fast.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   2/25/14 11:36:23AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Sad that he sold it.

Post #10   2/25/14 1:44:11PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:484-292
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I read he was making $100k a fight in Pride in his prime. His disclosed payout for Pride 32 was $70k and his last event with UFC was $60k, so he definitely made some cash. Also teaches at Xtreme Couture as far as I know, so has an income.

Hard to say what's going on, but even in his hey day he wasn't exactly flashing money around, so would be difficult for him to go broke so fast.

But your forgetting Taxes, even though he was in Japan Uncle Sam is going to take his cut because he's only over their for a short period of time a year. I also don't think he's making that much as a trainer, and were forgetting health costs. But I do think he's a firefighter, and that's a good salary.

I don't think he's starving for cash, but I do think he was caught in the,"'m not making what I once was I gotta tone it down a bit." I mean I rather see Coleman host a show on fox or the UFC to get him a job, he earned that.imo

Post #11   2/25/14 1:48:33PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,320-1,389
Chips:
no lie, i would buy that if i had that kinda money..

Post #12   2/25/14 2:39:30PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Posted by Svartorm

But your forgetting Taxes, even though he was in Japan Uncle Sam is going to take his cut because he's only over their for a short period of time a year. I also don't think he's making that much as a trainer, and were forgetting health costs. But I do think he's a firefighter, and that's a good salary.

I don't think he's starving for cash, but I do think he was caught in the,"'m not making what I once was I gotta tone it down a bit." I mean I rather see Coleman host a show on fox or the UFC to get him a job, he earned that.imo

Pride paid in cash and didn't disclose anything, so he could easily hide what he was making.

If you watched Smashing Machine, he was in there with his family ect and this was when he was still making money fighting. Had a pretty reasonable house for a small family.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #13   2/25/14 2:50:41PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by frizzzlecake

Posted by Svartorm

Pride paid in cash and didn't disclose anything, so he could easily hide what he was making.

If you watched Smashing Machine, he was in there with his family ect and this was when he was still making money fighting. Had a pretty reasonable house for a small family.

He's divorced too isn't he? That doesn't help the stack get any fatter.

Post #14   2/25/14 4:31:16PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Oh shit, I didn't know that. Yup, that's a financial game changer right there.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #15   2/25/14 5:55:52PM