Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Should UFC have PRIDE shows or should be just one show ?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,932-1,089
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I see no reason to take another weapon away from the fighter's. I'm fine with soccer kicks and stomps gone, but am for keeping elbows and adding knees on the ground. I think universal rules are important though.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #16   6/20/07 12:50:39AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by Vietnamese_Guy

PRIDE never die

Hate to admit it, but it's dead already. Gross said he doesn't expect to ever see another PRIDE show and Dana recently said they might dissolve it.

At this point, with the UFC taking so many fighters, they might as well dissolve it. Barnett is the only HW left over there. Fedor and Aleks are scheduled to fight with M-1 MFC or whatever in Russia

Post #17   6/20/07 1:32:24AM   

fatdevil1982

MMA Regular

fatdevil1982 Avatar

Career:637-417
Camp: WNYMMA
Chips:
http://www.fightopinion.com/2007/06/19/report-pride-returns-on-august-18th/

Nikkan Sports reported on Wednesday morning that the first show of the 'shinsei' (newborn) PRIDE will happen on August 18th at Saitama Super Arena (the same 'home' building that DSE used). The theme of the show will be a "Japanese all-star" presentation, centered around Hidehiko Yoshida.

Post #18   6/20/07 8:35:26AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Posted by Vietnamese_Guy

PRIDE never die

Hate to admit it, but it's dead already. Gross said he doesn't expect to ever see another PRIDE show and Dana recently said they might dissolve it.

At this point, with the UFC taking so many fighters, they might as well dissolve it. Barnett is the only HW left over there. Fedor and Aleks are scheduled to fight with M-1 MFC or whatever in Russia

It's a damn sad state of affairs... I've always wanted to see the best fight the best, but didn't expect it to come about this way... Watch what you wish for I guess

Post #19   6/20/07 11:23:58AM   

LoSt

Learning to Sprawl

LoSt Avatar

Career:348-186
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I would really have liked to see them both stay how they were and operate separately, but Pride is practically dead, and if they do have shows they're going to probably be mostly japanese fighters for a japanese audience.

Post #20   6/20/07 2:28:54PM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
they need to keep pride and ufc have 2 shows. they need to be seperate.

Post #21   6/20/07 3:21:48PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,813-1,547
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
If Pride disolves, I hope that the UFC gets their ring girls.

Post #22   6/20/07 6:21:37PM   

LightsOut33093

Standup Guy

LightsOut33093 Avatar

Career:648-332
Chips:

Post #23   6/20/07 8:01:13PM   

LightsOut33093

Standup Guy

LightsOut33093 Avatar

Career:648-332
Chips:

Post #24   6/20/07 8:02:10PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
I think keep both but dont have it like these guys are pride and these are ufc. i would let guys compete in both... i think that is what they are gearing towards, cause they are having pride fighters as well as the mw and lhw champ fight in ufc.. sooner or later i think it will merge into one single event which would be good because there would be just amazing fight cards.

Post #25   6/20/07 8:25:25PM   

awechet

Learning to Sprawl

awechet Avatar

Career:123-84
Chips:
I like the idea of both Pride and UFC working together but also being two different arena's for the fighters. We all know Pride has adopted the same rules as UFC so in that sense everybody is on the same page. But, I like the idea of fighters having to go to Japan and fight in a ring and then go to UFC and fight in a cage kinda like Tennis where they have to use different tactics for clay and grass. Also if UFC takes all of the fighters there will be a lot of guys being left out having to fight in the small shows to make a name for themselves.

Post #26   6/20/07 9:03:48PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
If they want universal rules they should take away elbows and add knees to the ground. All elbows do are cut people to end fights, when the people are still ready to fight and are cheated out of alot of good fights. Also with elbows you see more LnP/elbows through guard and no attempt at passing. I would love Soccer Kicks/Stomps and knees as universal rule but some people find stomps too brutal I guess. This is a brutal sport though, and Pride has had them succesfully for a long time with no ill effects.

Post #27   6/20/07 9:11:01PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,932-1,089
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Northrend

If they want universal rules they should take away elbows and add knees to the ground. All elbows do are cut people to end fights, when the people are still ready to fight and are cheated out of alot of good fights. Also with elbows you see more LnP/elbows through guard and no attempt at passing. I would love Soccer Kicks/Stomps and knees as universal rule but some people find stomps too brutal I guess. This is a brutal sport though, and Pride has had them succesfully for a long time with no ill effects.

Totally disagree about elbows . Great weapon, ask Mirko. I think they make GnP far more exciting. The last fight I can think of stopped due to elbow cut was Yves/Stevenson and Stevenson was giving him a beating anyway. Overwhelmingly more cuts are caused my punches than anything according to the NSAC a couple of years ago. I ran a search and can't find the article , sorry. I definately want knees on the ground, and all I've heard makes me think it will come soon. Armando garcia from the CSAC was on the beatdown recently and sadi it was being seriously considered presently.

Last edited 6/20/07 9:33PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #28   6/20/07 9:32:50PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2