Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Georges St-Pierre wants to 'attack the system'

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre had quite the interview with Michael Landsberg of TSN's Off The Record. When the discussion quickly steered towards his concerns over an expanding culture of performance enhancing drug use in MMA, St-Pierre says he isn't interested in a witch hunt. Although he refuses to name names, St-Pierre believes he's faced at least a few opponents using some sort of steroid.

"I can not answer this question, but there [are] a lot of people on drugs," says St-Pierre. "I'm never sure 100%. The reason is I don't want to accuse any individual. If you accuse one individual 20 others will arrive. What I want to attack? I want to attack the system. I don't want to attack the individual. People have to understand, I don't want to attack the UFC. I'm one of the guys that stands for the sport, stands for the UFC. I want to do that to help the brand, help the sport. I'm one of the guys that fights for the legitimacy of my sport...

Full Story

Post #1   2/19/14 10:51:15PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,834-1,785
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Sounds like he wants to be a commissioner.

Post #2   2/19/14 11:49:48PM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,854-969
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I've gotta say if GSP is going to take a stance against the use of PEDs in MMA I'm a huge supporter.

With his great following, reputation and influence he might actually be able to effect some good here. What he said about the legitimacy of the sport is true as well.

There are a lot of issues with the legitimacy of MMA like guys threatening to stab someone and receiving a wrist slap and the top organisation not signing top talent for personal reasons.

Another big legitimacy issue is the drugs thing. We all know it happens and it's naive to think it isn't. Maybe GSPcan help MMA without being a fighter,

Post #3   2/20/14 6:50:03AM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:2,033-1,369
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
I was under the impression he had a lot of things to square away in his personal life hence the reason he left UFC and his belt but here he is doing interviews about PED's and the system blah blah blah......

Post #4   2/20/14 11:38:57AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
I don't blame him for wanting to see the sport being clean. but he is kind of acting like there is no rules against it or something. there are plenty of rules and they are getting better and better and catching more and more people. this stuff is going to take time. I definitely respect his stance on it though. if he was champion as a clean fighter then he can be a great example of what the sport should be.

Post #5   2/20/14 2:13:44PM