Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

CSAC: Gracie's Results Off The Chart.

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

fatdevil1982

MMA Regular

fatdevil1982 Avatar

Career:637-417
Camp: WNYMMA
Chips:
Nandrolone use is indirectly detectable in urine tests by testing for the presence of 19-norandrosterone, a metabolite of this molecule. The International Olympic Committee has set a limit of 2 ng per ml of urine as the upper limit, beyond which an athlete is suspected of doping.

Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test. A final possible cause of incorrect urine test results is the presence of metabolites from other anabolic steroids. As a result of the numerous overturned verdicts, the testing procedure was reviewed by UK Sport [1] in 2000.

Post #16   6/19/07 12:20:15PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by fatdevil1982

i dont know wheather or not its true, but

yes he did look much more defined than normal

some steroids dont build muscle, they help heal it, so now you can get longer and harder work outs

as far as his family name, if he did then wow, his family will be pissed

i personaly dont think he would, but maybe K-1 put alot of pressure on him to "put on a good show" and he felt getting a little more defined would help

i guess we will get the whole truth in time

You have to understand that you only need traces of a controlled substance in your blood for it to be "off the charts". Even when the steroid is "off the charts" for a specific blood/urine test, there is still only a "trace" of it in your blood.

Post #17   6/19/07 12:56:35PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I don't believe he took steroids knowingly. I don't even know this guy but for some reason I just think that something seems out of place.

Post #18   6/19/07 1:51:23PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:

Posted by Fanboy 1988

For a guy that juiced up he's damn small!

He went from being a scrawny 160 to a bigger 183 at that fight. He did not look jacked but it doesn't mean he didn't partake in a little juicing.

Post #19   6/19/07 4:38:45PM   

Fanboy 1988

Standup Guy

Fanboy 1988  Avatar

Career:68-49
Chips:

Posted by JBatch

Posted by Fanboy 1988

For a guy that juiced up he's damn small!

He went from being a scrawny 160 to a bigger 183 at that fight. He did not look jacked but it doesn't mean he didn't partake in a little juicing.

True..... I just figured someone literally juiced off the charts would just look bigger then he is..

Post #20   6/19/07 6:04:32PM   

MrGreeny

MMA Regular

MrGreeny Avatar

Career:511-324
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
Maybe it's a mistake, maybe not. I think, that since this was his last fight they will cover the case, say it's beef or something else. I really don't care.

Whatever it is i beg you PLEEEAASE don't post pictures of the Gracie family. They may have beautyfull BJJ but they are sooo ugly...

Post #21   6/19/07 8:44:06PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by JBatch

I've never heard of Royce being 160 even back in the UFC 1 days.

Post #22   6/19/07 10:34:18PM   

wrestler189

MMA Regular

wrestler189 Avatar

Career:1,709-949
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
i want to know the truth about the situation

Post #23   6/19/07 11:23:37PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by JBatch

I've never heard of Royce being 160 even back in the UFC 1 days.

They scrapped the 160 limit for the Hughes/Gracie fight, which is why it wasn't a title fight...he weighed in at like 165 or 167 for that one.

Post #24   6/20/07 7:04:35AM   

KingKash

MMA Regular

KingKash Avatar

Career:507-390
Camp: hot kASH
Chips:
There may never be a truth to this situation, Gracie may take the fine and suspention and still hold that he is innocent to the public. This is not the first fighter this has happend to and it will nto be that last, but for it tohappen to a fighter of such importants to the history of MMA it is a big deal. Stephan Bonner got hit after his second loss to Forest and I have not heard anyone talk about that, but this will follow Royce for the rest of his career, even IF he is found innocent of the whole thing.

Last edited 6/20/07 7:07AM server time by KingKash
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   6/20/07 7:07:05AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

They scrapped the 160 limit for the Hughes/Gracie fight, which is why it wasn't a title fight...he weighed in at like 165 or 167 for that one.

I think you're misunderstanding this.

Hughes is a WW, which is 170, and the weight was scrapped because Gracie could not make 170. The fight was fought at the catchweight of 175 lbs. I think Hughes said he gave up 5-10 lbs for that fight.

Post #26   6/20/07 8:00:53AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

You have to understand that you only need traces of a controlled substance in your blood for it to be "off the charts". Even when the steroid is "off the charts" for a specific blood/urine test, there is still only a "trace" of it in your blood.

Read the article again.

Post #27   6/20/07 8:03:26AM   

fatdevil1982

MMA Regular

fatdevil1982 Avatar

Career:637-417
Camp: WNYMMA
Chips:
normal is 2ng (i would assume nanograms) his test, according to sherdog and there source, was 50ng.

now in mot sure how this will take affesct but he was taking over the counter suppliments; creatine, muscle milk ex ex ex
and these suppliment, cardio workouts, and other simple things can cause false positives for this drug because it is a drug that is produced normaly in the body.

nandralone is what he tested positive for

from WIKI

Nandrolone use is indirectly detectable in urine tests by testing for the presence of 19-norandrosterone, a metabolite of this molecule. The International Olympic Committee has set a limit of 2 ng per ml of urine as the upper limit, beyond which an athlete is suspected of doping.

Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test. A final possible cause of incorrect urine test results is the presence of metabolites from other anabolic steroids. As a result of the numerous overturned verdicts, the testing procedure was reviewed by UK Sport [1] in 2000.

Post #28   6/20/07 8:13:27AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fatdevil1982

normal is 2ng (i would assume nanograms) his test, according to sherdog and there source, was 50ng.

now in mot sure how this will take affesct but he was taking over the counter suppliments; creatine, muscle milk ex ex ex
and these suppliment, cardio workouts, and other simple things can cause false positives for this drug because it is a drug that is produced normaly in the body.

This is why I stated earlier in this thread that I think this needs to be investigated.

Post #29   6/20/07 8:15:37AM   

MisFiT

In Full Mount

Career:33-24
Chips:
This shits really gettin outta hand. Why cant he just smoke weed like Diaz instead of this. Works just as good (as you saw) And it isnt as detectable.

Post #30   6/20/07 8:43:53AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3