Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Glenn Robinson talks Alistair Overeem leaving the Blackzillians

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:2,005-1,109
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The former Strikeforce and K-1 Heavyweight champ has been a bit of a bust in the UFC. His manager was on the MMA Hour and talked about the Dutchman's new training camp in Thailand.

Link

Post #1   1/21/14 12:47:56PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
I just can't imagine any MMA gym in Thailand being able train overeem for a submission guy like Mir. there's a reason we haven't seen ufc champs come out of Thailand. Now I kinda hope Mir KO's Overeem.

Post #2   1/21/14 2:17:36PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:1,082-677
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
Overeems too suspect at this point. I could see Mir subbing him.

Last edited 1/22/14 2:44PM server time by lungsofsteel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/22/14 2:43:39PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Mir has a bad habit of trying to trade with people..

however overeem has a bigger habit of gassing before he can get the KO

Mir via Sub or TKO

Post #4   1/22/14 4:26:23PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,247-787
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
Reem by KO via mur having one of the P4P weakest jaws in the UFC

Post #5   1/22/14 4:36:03PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:2,085-1,241
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

I just can't imagine any MMA gym in Thailand being able train overeem for a submission guy like Mir. there's a reason we haven't seen ufc champs come out of Thailand. Now I kinda hope Mir KO's Overeem.

Overeem has only been submitted once in is career (against Werdum, who he dominated in the rematch) I don't think he's too worried about Mir's subs, considering Mir's wrestling isn't good enough to get the fight down and Mir can't sustain the punishment it takes to outlast Overeem. I really like Alistair in this fight.

I think the reason we haven't seen any UFC champs come out of Thailiand is because they don't care about MMA over there. Thai boxing is such a huge part of their culture that the talented fighters have no desire to fight mma when the money, prestige, and fame (in Thailand) is reserved for the Thai-boxers.. There`s no other popular sport in Thailand besides it, baseball, football, soccer, basketball etc. just aren`t popular there.

And also because the UFC doesn't have a straw-weight division. Thailand native and Thai mma-gym owner, Ramba "M-16" Somdet is the top-ranked straw-weight in the world and that says a lot considering there's only been a small amount of Thai fighters to try their hand in MMA, and also because he's nowhere close to being one of the top strikers in Thailand, so they could (in theory) churn out much better mma fighters than M-16.

If you think about it Thai boxing is a great base for MMA. They are great in the clinch so they can adapt to Greco-Roman wrestling very easily, and excel at it. They know how to strike with knees, kicks, elbows, and punches, so all they have to learn is a good sprawl and how to avoid guillotines and single-leg takedowns and they can do well in MMA and learn BJJ as they go. And they generally have good balance, are very tough and also durable considering they kick trees with their shins all day. Cardio is rarely an issue. If MMA was popular there then I think we would likely have Thai UFC champs.

Lots of mma fighters train in Thailand also.

Post #6   1/22/14 9:12:21PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,247-738
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

Posted by tcunningham

Overeem has only been submitted once in is career (against Werdum, who he dominated in the rematch) I don't think he's too worried about Mir's subs, considering Mir's wrestling isn't good enough to get the fight down and Mir can't sustain the punishment it takes to outlast Overeem. I really like Alistair in this fight.

Me and you have a different idea of dominated.

I'll admit I swing off Wedrums nuts but on the feet Overeem got outstruck 2 to 1. Yes Overeem did a good job staying in top position and sprawling but the score cards were 29-28 and in my eyes could have very easily gone either way.

Overeem was defensive and contempt to settle for top position but didn't do anything with it. Wedrum was aggressive, had a more effective striking game, but less effective grappling game

Striking - Wedrum
Grappling - Overeem
Octagon control - Overeem
Aggression - Wedrum

If judges actually judged on the criteria thatd have been a 30-30 fight (off my memory) neither man did enough to seal any round. A half assed takedown then settling to pull guard doesn't count as a takedown for Overeem IMO. Yes I understand the argument that Overeems on top so he's ahead in terms of grappling but he didn't work or earn that position.

Overeem Dominated Browne until he got KO'd.
Overeem dominated Brett Rogers.

He and Wedrum got lucky the judges bothered to even score the bout it was so undeserving of a winner

Dirty Blue

Post #7   1/22/14 9:33:53PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:2,085-1,241
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

Posted by tcunningham

Me and you have a different idea of dominated.

I'll admit I swing off Wedrums nuts but on the feet Overeem got outstruck 2 to 1. Yes Overeem did a good job staying in top position and sprawling but the score cards were 29-28 and in my eyes could have very easily gone either way.

Overeem was defensive and contempt to settle for top position but didn't do anything with it. Wedrum was aggressive, had a more effective striking game, but less effective grappling game

Striking - Wedrum
Grappling - Overeem
Octagon control - Overeem
Aggression - Wedrum

If judges actually judged on the criteria thatd have been a 30-30 fight (off my memory) neither man did enough to seal any round. A half assed takedown then settling to pull guard doesn't count as a takedown for Overeem IMO. Yes I understand the argument that Overeems on top so he's ahead in terms of grappling but he didn't work or earn that position.

Overeem Dominated Browne until he got KO'd.
Overeem dominated Brett Rogers.

He and Wedrum got lucky the judges bothered to even score the bout it was so undeserving of a winner

I haven`t watched it since it happened so maybe I need to re-watch the fight. Yeah Dominated wasn`t the right word to use, neither fighter did much. I remember Werdum couldn`t come close to getting a takedown and was backing up most of the fight and kept falling on his back when Alistair closed the distance. I don`t recall Werdum out-striking Alistair at all but again, I`ve only seen the fight once.

I wanted Werdum to win. I was really disappointed that he didn`t show more warrior spirit and really go for the takedown. It seemed his game plan was to not engage and just hope Alistair would take him down. He lost clearly in my eyes, but you`re right, it wasn`t really a domination.

I don't know if I even watched the 2nd round. Once I saw what Werdums game plan was I lost interest until the third round, and then I lost interest again quickly when I saw that Werdum still wasn't going to really go for a takedown or knock out, or standing submission...

Post #8   1/23/14 3:13:14AM