Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC lightweight Edson Barboza calls out Nate Diaz, Jim Miller and Donald Cerrone

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After going 3-0 in 2013, Edson Barboza believes he’s due for a big opportunity.

Link

Post #1   1/20/14 7:26:58PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Chips:
Really would like him and Diaz, but after reading the article, and Diaz pulling a Diaz-esque move, would rather see him fight Cerrone then Miller.

Post #2   1/20/14 8:20:35PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Barboza needs a top ten fighter for sure.

Post #3   1/20/14 9:09:54PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Chips:
I think I'd like to see him fight Miller the best.

Post #4   1/20/14 9:37:32PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,167-622
Chips:
All these request are reasonable. I personally would like Barboza/Cerrone the most.
This would be a very nice opening bout for a PPV. Has all the makings of a stand up striking clinic.
Both guys have very nice leg kicks. I'd have to favor Edson and his kicks over Cerrone although I'd favor Cerrone ever so slightly in winning this one.
Would be a treat for the fans to watch and an early favorite for a post fight bonus.

Post #5   1/20/14 10:16:51PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Personally I would like to see Barboza fight either Dunham or Lauzon next.

I think Diaz, Miller and Cerrone are a little to much of a jump in the ranks at this point for Edson.

He got destroyed by Varner not that long ago.

Borboza should get as many UFC fights under his belt as he possibly can before he starts dropping top 10 caliber names out.

Post #6   1/21/14 12:27:01AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sparky

I think Diaz, Miller and Cerrone are a little to much of a jump in the ranks at this point for Edson.

Borboza should get as many UFC fights under his belt as he possibly can before he starts dropping top 10 caliber names out.

Well I think it depends on what rankings you use. And depends on if you have Chandler and Alvarez in the your top 10. I personally have both Chandler and Alvarez in my top 10.
And since I do, the only clear top 10 guy on that list is Nate Diaz. I have both Cerrone and Miller just on the outside of my top 10 since Chandler/Alvarez are just inside.
I also have Edson around #15 which makes those callouts in line IMO. I also have Dunham and Lauzon slightly ranked below Edson.

Another intriguing matchup would be against Michael Johnson, or Bobby Green. I have the 3 of them all ranked side by side of one another.

Post #7   1/21/14 1:19:24AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,130-798
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
How about Rustam Khalidov? Is Edson still scared of him?

Post #8   1/21/14 12:14:10PM   

sparky

sparky Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by sparky

Well I think it depends on what rankings you use. And depends on if you have Chandler and Alvarez in the your top 10. I personally have both Chandler and Alvarez in my top 10.
And since I do, the only clear top 10 guy on that list is Nate Diaz. I have both Cerrone and Miller just on the outside of my top 10 since Chandler/Alvarez are just inside.
I also have Edson around #15 which makes those callouts in line IMO. I also have Dunham and Lauzon slightly ranked below Edson.

Another intriguing matchup would be against Michael Johnson, or Bobby Green. I have the 3 of them all ranked side by side of one another.

I dont see how you can have Lauzon ranked below Barboza.

Barboza lost to Varner and Lauzon beat Varner almost immediately after. Dunham and Lauzon are both higher in the ranks than Barboza is in my honest opinion.

Now I am not saying I think Edson will lose to either guy. I just think that Lauzon and Dunham are more appropriate call outs at this point in his career.

Post #9   1/21/14 1:06:58PM   

sparky

sparky Avatar

Chips:
I am interested to see who the UFC feels Barboza deserves though

Last edited 1/21/14 1:11PM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #10   1/21/14 1:09:29PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
barboza vs cerrone!!!!! assuming cerrone doesn't move to 145. if not cerrone then miller.

Post #11   1/21/14 2:30:56PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by sparky

I dont see how you can have Lauzon ranked below Barboza.

Barboza lost to Varner and Lauzon beat Varner almost immediately after. Dunham and Lauzon are both higher in the ranks than Barboza is in my honest opinion.

Now I am not saying I think Edson will lose to either guy. I just think that Lauzon and Dunham are more appropriate call outs at this point in his career.

Well rankings are a weird thing Sparky. I can see your point on how you persoally feel that Barboza is ranked lower because of that loss to Varner. My opinion just differs. And you can't honestly tell me you think, in a rematch, that you would pick Varner over Barboza.

Just a couple of examples supporting that Barboza is, and should be ranked higher than both.

Fight Matrix has Barboza at #24, Lauzon #26 and Dunham #31.

Link

Tapology has Barboza at #15, Lauzon #19, and Dunham #20

Link

Fightmagazine has Barboza at #18, Lauzon #41, and Dunham #43

Link

MMA Mania has Barboza as the only one of these 3 ranked in the top 15 at #11

Link

Post #12   1/21/14 5:30:12PM   

sparky

sparky Avatar

Chips:
To me rankings are very weird I can see your point he is on the rise while the others are on the decline.

I didnt pick Varner the first time and your right I wouldnt pick him in a rematch but truth is he won the first time and its hard to ignore that.

I am a firm believer you are only as good as the best guy you have defeated and Dunham and Lauzon have fought and defeated stiffer competition.

Who do you consider Barboza's biggest win to date??

Post #13   1/21/14 8:13:21PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sparky

To me rankings are very weird I can see your point he is on the rise while the others are on the decline.

I didnt pick Varner the first time and your right I wouldnt pick him in a rematch but truth is he won the first time and its hard to ignore that.

I am a firm believer you are only as good as the best guy you have defeated and Dunham and Lauzon have fought and defeated stiffer competition.

Who do you consider Barboza's biggest win to date??

I'd probably have to say Barboza's biggest wins to date would be Ross Pearson and Danny Castillo.

I also believe that styles make up for different outcomes for fights. Without getting into too many examples but using Joe Lauzon as example, he beats Varner who beats Barboza and Barboza beats Pearson who beats GSot who beats Lauzon.

Same type of scenario for Guida, even though he is off topic. Guida beat Pettis, Pettis beat Bendo, and Bendo beat Guida.

So despite rankings which vary from person to person and site to site certain fighters match up better stylistically against other fighters. And the fact that in
MMA no matter what you are ranked you could lose on any given night just like in the NFL.

Post #14   1/21/14 11:50:37PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
i am a HUGE Edson fan but i dont think he is now nor will he ever be a top 10 LW. I hope im wrong though.

Post #15   1/22/14 6:57:56PM