Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dominick Cruz pulls out of UFC 169 with groin tear; vacates title

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Weird. Faber should wait for a full camp. Oh well, this way he gets extra kudos if he wins and an excuse if he loses.

Post #31   1/7/14 5:48:23AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
RETIRE

Post #32   1/7/14 9:14:50AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,840-896
Chips:
This is unfortunate on so many levels. This has gotta be devastating for Cruz. He was once on a roll towards one of the greatest reigns in UFC history. Now he can't get healthy in THREE years? So very tragic.

Faber is such a bro for taking what's probably his last ever chance at a title on short notice and coming off injuries of his own. However, with all that working against him, it almost feels like he's doomed from the start especially with his title shot track record. I really hope he pulls off the miracle, but I just don't have a good feeling about it. Its a shame because I think he had a great shot with a full training camp and fully recovered from his last fight.

Post #33   1/7/14 10:15:58AM   

babalu46

In Full Mount

babalu46 Avatar

Career:986-613
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think this should be the end for Cruz which is horrible because he was the best in the BW division by far before the first knee injury. I always enjoyed watching him fight.

Post #34   1/7/14 11:31:09AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,130-798
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
People are crazy with this "now Cruz should retire" crap. It's a set back, nothing more.

Post #35   1/7/14 11:40:50AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,167-622
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Posted by JLS1980

I was looking forward to Barao/Cruz but honestly I would have to say that Faber poses more of a threat to Barao than Cruz considering the type of year Faber has had and that Cruz has been out of action for so long.

Don't forget that Faber is fighting on short notice and is still injured from the McDonald fight.

Oh I didn't forget that fight it was just less than a month ago. He was suspended 180 days for injuries to both hands and a wrist injury unless cleared by a doctor.
I'm not doubting he might be a little banged up but he can't be that injured considering he is being cleared for this fight that'll be roughly 45 days from the McDonald fight.

Also as far as Faber taking this fight on short notice he shouldn't be effected too much considering he just fought about 3 weeks ago and is still in shape and absorbed very litte damage outside of the hand injuries he inflicted from punching McDonald.
This will be Faber's 5th fight in 11 months. That's the main reason I say Faber poses a bigger threat to Barao than Cruz. Barao is a tough fight for anybody anythime and if Cruz would have fought Barao on at UFC 169 that would have been a 28 month gap between fights.

With all that said I picked Barao in the 1st Faber fight by Unanimous Decision and got the 22pts for it being the HB. The PG had 51% taking Barao and 49% taking Faber.
I'm taking Barao again and I'll bet that the PG picks Barao by a much larger %, probably upwards of 70% even though I think it'll be a much more competitive fight than the 1st go round.

Also in 2012 Barao was Faber's lone fight for the entire year. This year Faber is 4-0 with 3 finishes and 5 fights in 11 months that's why I picked him as Fighter Of The Year.

Post #36   1/7/14 1:23:03PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

People are crazy with this "now Cruz should retire" crap. It's a set back, nothing more.

Yeah, he just turned 28 four months ago. There is time to right the ship, all these injuries would likely need to be a long unfunny fluke for him to come back and not face other serious setbacks, but it's not like he's 38. There's no reason to consider retirement after this much rehabbing and being back in fighting shape now from his knee injuries. Just get past this groin injury and hopefully make it to your next fight around your 29th birthday.

Post #37   1/7/14 1:31:37PM   

babalu46

In Full Mount

babalu46 Avatar

Career:986-613
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by GDPofMPG

Yeah, he just turned 28 four months ago. There is time to right the ship, all these injuries would likely need to be a long unfunny fluke for him to come back and not face other serious setbacks, but it's not like he's 38. There's no reason to consider retirement after this much rehabbing and being back in fighting shape now from his knee injuries. Just get past this groin injury and hopefully make it to your next fight around your 29th birthday.

I don't think he should retire because he is too old if anything I think he should retire because he's so young. He's blown his knee out twice and now torn his groin making him unavailable to fight for over two years and this is from 26! Every athletes body will deteriorate as they get older and if his is in this shape already maybe he needs to consider his future.

Post #38   1/7/14 3:42:57PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
A good time for this video:

Post #39   1/7/14 4:37:44PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I CALLED IT!!!

SUCK IT LOOSECANNON AND QUEZERMO! WOOOOOOO

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #40   1/7/14 6:20:19PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by GDPofMPG

he is the Dustin McGowan of MMA

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #41   1/7/14 6:24:23PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:647-349
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by aussiemma

This is fucked up ! I was looking forward to this fight too.

I picture Dominick Cruz curled up in a ball in his king size bed inside his mansion sobbing uncontrollably.

Sorry man, but I am pretty fucking positive that Cruz lives in nothing even resembling a mansion. Probably like a nice condo. Very few MMA fighters have that kind of money really. Most who do didn't get it from MMA either, they got it from other things that came from the fame they got from MMA.

I was just making a jokey joke, for all I know Cruz sleeps in a double bed ??

Post #42   1/7/14 7:59:43PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
when someone is suspended by the commission like that its not because they have an injury, its because they COULD have an injury, its the commission being responsible and saying either go to the doctor or sit for 6 months (long enough to heal most injuries)

Post #43   1/7/14 9:38:47PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3