Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

2013 End of the Year MMA Awards, who are your winners?

Print  
Posted By Message

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,300-892
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
No rules or format, just make a post giving credit where you feel credit is due in the world of MMA for 2013. Have fun. Here's mine.

Fighter of the Year - Vitor Belfort. One doesn't simply deliver three epic and brutal head kick finishes in one year and not win Fighter of the Year.

Runner up: Demetrius Johnson.

HW of the year - Travis Browne , not Cain. Cain won every fight like he was expected to, with utter and complete doimination. Travis won in devastating fashion three time, and few were expecting him to crumple Barnett and Overeem like he did. He's come a long way form nothing, 2014 should be interesting.

Runners Up: Cain, Hunt, Minakov

LHW of the year - Emanuel Newton. The guy had a huge year plain and simple. Four wins including a BFC Tourney and title interim title match, a KO of the Year candidate in one of two wins against Mo Lawal where he was both times a heavy dog. This guy has been a surprise no doubt.

Co-Runners up: Gustafsson and Glover

MW of the Year - Vitor Belfort. Yeah Weidman beat Silva twice, that is ludocris, but Vitor's three head kick mauling KO wins are instantly legendary on another level. That is the kind of stuff people will always be talking about similar the mystique of Crocops Head kick lethality from a decade ago.

Runner up: Chris Weidman

WW of the Year - Robbie Lawler. Feel good story of 2013. No one did it better at WW this year then Robbie, a pleasure to watch him work his game to success.

Runners up: Matt Brown and Dong Hyum Kim

LW of the Year: Anthony Pettis , just edges out Nurmagomedov. He didn't fight much, but was decisive in the big fights he did have. He might meet Khabib this coming year.

Runners up: Khabib Nurmagomedov and Eddie Alvarez

FW of the Year: Chad Medes and Cub Swanson. Both of these guys had a whirlwind 2013. Mendes won more fight, Swanson won better fights, both were exciting and dominant though throughout. Hopefully they will make good fights fo Aldo this year if he gets by Lamas.

Runner up: Daniel Strauss

BW of the Year: No contest here, Ol' butt chin himself is without a doubt the BW fighter of the year. He choked out 3 top guys and went 15 with another. He still has a lot left in his tank and a title shot is a gaurantee for next year.

Runners up: Renan Barao

Fly of the Year - The Champion, Demetrius Johnson. His fight with Dodson was one of the best of the year. He was almost finished yet managed to comeback and find way to win and even be dominant as the fight went on, add a KO and Sub in his other two big fights and it was a hell of a year.

Runners up: John Dodson and Ali Bagautinov

Womens fighter of the Year: Alexis Davis. Pretty big year. Started it off by tapping Baszler, then got the call to the UFC and lit up Sexton in a great fight and stifled Carmouche. Hope she is the one...

Runners up: Jessica Aguilar.

Fight of the Year - Wanderlei vs Stann. This was a very good year for great fights, but the true measure of greatness for me is how on the edge of my seat I am in a fight, how high I jump when something crazy happens, how loud I yell when more crazy happens and how hard my heart beats when the tension of the fight is at it's highest. Silva vs Stann pushed all of those to the limit.

Runners up: Chandler vs Alvarez II and Grice vs Burmudez

KO of the Year: Bigfoot obliterates Overeem. Obliterates doesn't begin to describe the savagery of Bigfoot's finish on the Reem. Annihibliterate works way better.

Runners up: Hunt KO Struve, Newton KO Lawal, Woodley KO Koscheck, Saunders KO Amaya

Sub of the Year - In only here 2nd pro fight, Rose Namajunas flying arm bar against Kathina Catron was a thing of beauty.

Runners up: Pettis Arm Bars Henderson, Burkman Chokes Out Fitch, Faber Chokes out McDonald.

Card of the Year - UFC 166 Cain vs JDS III. Lots of excitement on this card. The two HW fights in the Main Event and Co-Main Event were true displayes of MMA at it's finest, a bona-fide Fight of the Year candidate in Sanchez vs Melendez, Main Card knockout finishes from flyweight to heavy, and a preliminary full of entertaining competitions and finishes. All around a great card.

Runner up: UFC on FOX 7

Upset of the Year: Travis Browne vs Alistair Overeem and Josh Barnett. I gave him a heavyweight punchers chance in both, he won with more then what I thought he could, first with heart and fortitude to stay compsed against Reem and find his offense to finish, then by using a defensive knee to make extremely quick work of Barnett. Unreal.

Runner up: Emanuel Newton KO Mo Lawalf

Post #1   12/31/13 1:28:14PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Fighter of the year: Demetrious Johnson - Three title defenses/Two finishes/Destroyed Joseph Benavidez by knockout

Runner up:Chris Weidman

---

HW of the year: Travis Browne

Runner up: Cain Valesquez

---

LHW of the year: Glover Texeira

Runner up: Jon Jones

---

MW of the year: Chris Weidman

Runner up: Vitor Belfort

---

WW of the year: Robbie Lawler

Runner up: Johnny Hendricks/Matt Brown

---

LW of the year: Anthony Pettis

Runner up: TJ Grant/Khabib Nurmagomedov

---

FW of the year: Conor McGregor - Just because of all the hype around him

Runner up: Chad Mendes/Cub Swanson

---

BW of the year: Urijah Faber

Runner up: Renan Barao

---

FLY of the year: Demetrious Johnson

Runner up: John Lineker (not counting his missed weight against him)

---

Woman of the year: Ronda Rousey

Runner up: Alexis Davis

---

Fight of the year: Silva vs. Stann

Runner up: Chandler vs. Alvarez 2

---

Knockout of the year: Weidman over Silva

Runner up: Silva over Overeem

---

Sub of the year: Rose Namajunas over Kathina Catron

Runner up: Burkman over Fitch/Werdum vs. Big Nog

---

Card of the year: UFC 162 Silva vs. Weidman

Runner up: UFC on Fuel TV 8

---

Upset of the year: Weidman over Silva

Runner up: Silva over Overeem/Gastelum over Hall

Post #2   12/31/13 2:40:35PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Chips:
Fight: Stann v Wand
Gus v Jones, Alvarez v Chandler, Sanchez v Melendez, Hunt v Bigfoot

KO: Weidman > Silva (1)
Newton > Lawal, Browne > Barnett, Bigfoot > Overeem, Johnson > Benevidez

Sub: McDonald > Pickett
Faber > McDonald, Pettis > Bendo, Sonnen > Rua, Souza > Herman, Burkman > Fitch

Fighter: Belfort
Browne, McDonald, Glover, Johnson, Weidman, Rousey, Hunt, Hendricks, Lawler

Upset: Weidman > Silva
Bigfoot > Overeem, Burkman > Fitch, Newton > Lawal

Last edited 12/31/13 2:44PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   12/31/13 2:43:26PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Chips:
Card: Fuel TV Stann vs Wandy
Fox Johnson v Benevidez 1, 162, 166, UFN Bigfoot v Hunt

HW: Browne
Hunt, Cain, Minakov

LHW: Gus
Glover, Jones, Sonnen

MW: Weidman
Belfort, Shlemenko, Hall

WW: Hendricks
Lawler, Lima, Askren

LW: Pettis
Thomson, Chandler, Green

FW: Mendes
Lamas, Swanson, Aldo, Edgar, Straus

BW: Brandao
Faber, McDonald, Assuncao

Fly: Johnson
Benevidez, Dodson, Makovsky

Wm: Rousey
Honchak, Tate, Cyborg

Post #4   12/31/13 3:17:14PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Chips:
Best Return to the UFC - Robbie Lawler. See OP.

Runner up: Josh Thomson

Best New UFC Prospect - A lot of guys... I'm expecting good thins from these rookie prospects: Kevin Gastelum, Justin Scoggins, Ali Bagautinov, Brandon Thatch, Hyun-Gyu Lim and Connor McGregor.

Post #5   12/31/13 5:43:54PM   

JLS1980

Warren > Dantas

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,346-713
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

Best Return to the UFC - Robbie Lawler. See OP.

Runner up: Josh Thomson

Best New UFC Prospect - A lot of guys... I'm expecting good thins from these rookie prospects: Kevin Gastelum, Justin Scoggins, Ali Bagautinov, Brandon Thatch, Hyun-Gyu Lim and Connor McGregor.

I would like to add Ryan LaFlare to the New Prospect list as well. He beat Alloway very easily despite it being a Decision and Santiago Ponzinibbio who was a finalist that had to withdraw from TUF Brazil season 2 and he really beat Court McGee decisively in the first 2 Rounds of their fight.

I'll give my picks for each award tomorrow when I have a little more time.

Post #6   12/31/13 6:35:09PM   

JLS1980

Warren > Dantas

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,346-713
Chips:
Fighter of the Year - Urijah Faber. He went 4-0 with 3 finishes and will be fighting the winner of Barao vs Cruz. Faber has looked super good this year.

Runner up: Chris Weidman. For Being 2-0 against arguably the Greatest Of All Time.
------------------------------------------
HW of the year - Travis Browne.

Runners Up: Cain Velasquez
------------------------------------------
LHW of the year - Emanuel Newton.

Co-Runner up: Glover Texeira-He went 3-0 in 2013 and is on his way to face Jon Jones in 2014. Became a solid contender in just over a year going 5-0 in a 16 month span.
-------------------------------------------
MW of the Year - Chris Weidman. Even though Weidman won via TKO (injury) in the 2nd fight against Anderson Silva, the fact that he beat Anderson and defended his Title successfully against him is worthy of the #1 spot here.

-------------------------------------------
WW of the Year - Johnny Hendricks. I put Hendricks in this spot because he did almost beat GSP.

Runners up: Robbie Lawler
--------------------------------------------
LW of the Year: Anthony Pettis

Runners up: Khabib Nurmagomedov
FW of the Year: Chad Medes

Runner up: Cub Swanson
BW of the Year: Urijah Faber

Runners up: Renan Barao
Fly of the Year - Demetrius Johnson.

Runners up: John Dodson
Womens fighter of the Year: Ronda Rousey. She was only 2-0 this year but she is the first ever women's UFC Champion and that says a lot.

Runners up: Tecia Torres.
Fight of the Year - Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson-There were plenty of good ones this year but I had to narrow it down. FOTY for me because really nobody gave Gus a chance in this one but we were wrong as he nearly won this battle.

Runners up: Mark Hunt vs Antonio Silva UFC Fight Night 33
---------------------------------------------
KO of the Year: Chinzo Machida flying knee knockout over Brian Wood at RFA 11.

Runners up: JDS KO over Mark Hunt
Sub of the Year -Rose Namajunas flying arm bar over Kathina Catron at Invicta 5.

Runners up: Kenny Robertson kneebar over Brock Jardine at UFC 157.
Card of the Year - UFC 166 Cain vs JDS III.

Runner up: UFC on Fuel TV 10 Werdum vs Big Nog. There was a UFC record set of 8 Submissions that night.
Upset of the Year: Emanuel Newton over King Mo at Bellator 90

Runner up:Josh Burkman over Jon Fitch At WSOF 3.

Post #7   1/3/14 12:25:28AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Chips:
Great addition with Tecia Torres, I forgot about what a big year she had.

Post #8   1/3/14 1:15:32PM   

roofer1967

MMA Regular

roofer1967 Avatar

Career:944-574
Camp: Frontline
Chips:
Fighter of the Year - Chris Weidman did what no other middle weight has been able to do in 7 years then he defended his title against Anderson. Even though the 2nd fight ended ( unfortunately )the way it did. Chris looked very in control and had already dominated the 1rd

HW of the year - Travis Browne has emerged as an elite hw in the ufc with 3 big 1st round KOs in 2013.

LHW of the year - Emanuel Newton Going 4-0 and beating King Mo twice makes him an easy choice.

MW of the Year - Chris Weidman is the first man to ever KO Anderson in mma and now is the undefeated middleweight champion. Something no one has been able to do in the last 7 years

WW of the Year - Johny Hendricks fought arguably the two best WWs in the world winning a UD over Carlos Condit and losing a controversial SD to GSP the majority of fight fans around the world thought he should have won the title.

LW of the Year: Anthony Pettis Two big wins in 2013 over Cerrone and Henderson one winning him KOTN and the other winning him SOTN and the LW championship.

FW of the Year: Chad Mendes three big wins in 2013 two by KO one by UD also the first man to ever KO Guida solid year.

BW of the Year: Urijah Faber Completely dominating four times in 2013 and now in line to start the new year off with a title shot.

Fly of the Year - Demetrius Johnson. This one isn't even close.

Womens fighter of the Year: Holly Holm Three KOs and a UD and she ends the year still undefeated. I could see her being here again next year. She brings a lot of excitement to this division.

Fight of the Year - Jones/Gustafsson Was a war and was also Jones first true test in MMA. Both fighters left everything in the cage that night. This is a fight I will watch again and again in the coming years.

Honorable mention - Sanchez/Melendez

KO of the Year: Newton/King Mo Really to many to choose from But that spinning backfist came out of nowhere.

Honorable mention - Belfort/Rockhold

Submission of the Year - .Barao/McDonald Again to many to choose from.

Honorable mention - Souza/Herman

Card of the Year - UFC 166 For me was by far the best card of the year. I would have been fine after the Sanchez/Melendez war. Even the undercard and prelims were awesome great card top to bottom.

Honorable mention - UFC 168.

Post #9   1/9/14 9:07:58PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Fighter of the year
Vitor belfort

Hw weight of the year Browne
Lhw of the year Glover texeira