Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Silva to undergo immediate surgery for broken leg

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Anderson Silva is to undergo surgery immediately after breaking his leg against Chris Weidman at UFC 168.

Link

Last edited 12/29/13 2:18AM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/29/13 2:02:51AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,957-1,617
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I wish Silva all the best and a SPEEDY recovery.

Definitely didn't want to see him go down like that..........but I did want to see him go down

Post #2   12/29/13 3:48:28AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Even in defeat, Silva puts on a spectacle. All the best for a quick and complete recovery.

Post #3   12/29/13 4:16:29AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Chips:
Someone at the place I was watching the fights compared it to Tyson/Holyfield when the famous ear bite happened. Very anti-climactic. It's a damn shame it ended that way, Silva was looking serious and like he knew he was in for a fight and then it all went to shit with one checked leg kick. It's a shitty ending to what was a very meaningful fight, but it certainly was crazy as hell. Regardless, he's probably done fighting because that's going to be a long recovery and I wish him the best, he's entertained us for an awful long time.

Post #4   12/29/13 4:18:16AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:
I was so disappointed when this happened tonight. I was telling people this fight determined the next 5 years of this division. I hate to see it end in an injury like that. Some girl puked when it happened at the bar I was at. Pretty disgusting injury.

Post #5   12/29/13 4:31:26AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
I was mainly disappointed because I don't think Weidman will get the respect he deserves for beating Anderson again. He's now 4-0 in 4 rounds against Anderson, but I'm afraid a lot of people will still claim that it was a fluke.

Either way, much respect to Anderson, and I honestly hope he does retire because I don't think he'll ever be the same again. No need to come back and tarnish his legacy.

Post #6   12/29/13 6:33:23AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Weidman looks legit. Still don't like the guy.
It sucked seeing a legend go out like that. Retirement may
Happen now. He has nothing to prove. Just glad I was able to see him fight live enough times to make me happy

Post #7   12/29/13 11:14:02AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,746-1,009
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
That sucked

Post #8   12/29/13 11:26:51AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

I was mainly disappointed because I don't think Weidman will get the respect he deserves for beating Anderson again. He's now 4-0 in 4 rounds against Anderson, but I'm afraid a lot of people will still claim that it was a fluke.

Either way, much respect to Anderson, and I honestly hope he does retire because I don't think he'll ever be the same again. No need to come back and tarnish his legacy.

I'm so tired of reading that Weidman is 4-0 in rds against silva. Idk how you can consider a round where nothing happened other than a gruesome freak injury a "winning" rd for anyone.

Also, it means absolutely nothing.Trying to come up with an agaggregation of rds in different fights to make up a whole is silly.

The most grotesque thing I saw that night were the fucking idiots at BWW clapping and cheering after the fight. Having trained in mma, being a multi sport athlete growing up, and having been a sports fan my whole life; I find the cheering of any injury about as low as you can get. It was literally depressing.

Post #9   12/29/13 11:29:52AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Webbie

I'm so tired of reading that Weidman is 4-0 in rds against silva. Idk how you can consider a round where nothing happened other than a gruesome freak injury a "winning" rd for anyone.

Also, it means absolutely nothing.Trying to come up with an agaggregation of rds in different fights to make up a whole is silly.

This is exactly what I was talking about.

Weidman had Silva's number, and he deserves respect for beating Silva twice now. I'm not saying you're disrespecting him, but there will be a lot of people claiming that Weidman still hasn't proven that he's got the ability and the perfect style to beat Silva. I love Anderson, but at no point in either fight was he in control, nor did he really have any success whatsoever other than a few leg kicks, and we saw that Weidman was prepared for that. For sure Silva might've been able to land a strike at some point and gotten a finish, but judging from all the time they spent in the octagon with each other it's safe to say that he would've had a very difficult time making that happen. Weidman dominated him in that first round so much that it could've been a 10-8 round.

I'm not at all happy about the leg break. As you said, it's depressing to hear that anyone would feel that way. I do, however, think that Weidman did everything right. He had the ability to take Silva down and control him the way Sonnen did, except Weidman's striking and submission abilities are far superior to Sonnen's, which means Silva had his hands full no matter how you look at it.

I just think Weidman deserves the credit for the win. I think he proved to be Silva's kryptonite with or without the leg break.

Post #10   12/29/13 11:55:22AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,692-972
Chips:
Damn

Post #11   12/29/13 12:07:51PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Weidman had Silva's number, and he deserves respect. Weidman dominated him in that first round so much that it could've been a 10-8 round.

I just think Weidman deserves the credit for the win. I think he proved to be Silva's kryptonite with or without the leg break.

I agree with jus about everything you say. Weidman deserves credit for dominating Silva like we've never seen. But I feel we have an incomplete fight, with weidman winning by a technicality. Was he winning up to that point? Yes and decisively, but in the fight game we know that fortunes change in fractions of a second. I just want some closure

Post #12   12/29/13 12:22:23PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Webbie

Weidman had Silva's number, and he deserves respect. Weidman dominated him in that first round so much that it could've been a 10-8 round.

I agree with jus about everything you say. Weidman deserves credit for dominating Silva like we've never seen. But I feel we have an incomplete fight, with weidman winning by a technicality. Was he winning up to that point? Yes and decisively, but in the fight game we know that fortunes change in fractions of a second. I just want some closure

Yeah, I feel similar because MMA is so unpredictable.

How much credit does Weidman deserve for checking that kick, though? It was obviously something he was prepared for and worked on extensively, and Silva definitely made a big mistake by putting so much into that kick when he knew how dangerous it was to throw it from the southpaw stance on a guy standing orthodox.

But yeah, it's very unfortunate and I wish we could've seen a real KO or submission finish from either guy.

Post #13   12/29/13 12:32:12PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
That was the most surprised I've been for a while. never would have guessed. I think it's a safe guess to say silva is done. he wasn't really into it before, and I think this injury will be the nail in the coffin for his MMA career.

Post #14   12/29/13 1:17:18PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Webbie

Yeah, I feel similar because MMA is so unpredictable.

How much credit does Weidman deserve for checking that kick, though? It was obviously something he was prepared for and worked on extensively, and Silva definitely made a big mistake by putting so much into that kick when he knew how dangerous it was to throw it from the southpaw stance on a guy standing orthodox.

But yeah, it's very unfortunate and I wish we could've seen a real KO or submission finish from either guy.

Lol come on Webbie. Saying he trained to to check leg kicks is like saying he trained to block punches. It would be like giving hester credit for andrews dislocating his shoulder on the overhand right he threw. And then saying andrews should have known better than to throw his overhand that hard. It was a freak occurrence.

Post #15   12/29/13 1:43:25PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4