Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Once a critic, Dana White now a fan of veteran ref John McCarthy

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,926-1,070
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
There was a time when UFC President Dana White and John McCarthy weren’t on each other’s Christmas lists, to put it nicely.

Link

Post #1   12/15/13 11:20:10AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,993-957
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
I would be surprised if White ever had a problem with McCarthy's ref work which is arguably the best there is. I suspect it has a lot more to do with Big John's outspokenness outside the ring.

Post #2   12/15/13 1:38:03PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,755-1,746
Chips:
That's what it is, all know McCarthy is a great Ref...he has been very involved in the way the sport has grown, very vocal about the rules and politics of it all. That has put them at odds with each other on occasion.

Post #3   12/15/13 1:52:08PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
It did seem awhile back like Big John wasnt reffing UFC fights. It wasnt like any tine recently but maybe a few years back it felt like he disappeared.

Post #4   12/15/13 2:00:29PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

It did seem awhile back like Big John wasnt reffing UFC fights. It wasnt like any tine recently but maybe a few years back it felt like he disappeared.

Part of that is the fact that he's not licensed in Nevada, where a large number of fights happen. And Nevada also supplies the refs for any events that don't have sanctioning in the region. IIRC Big John pissed off Kizer.

Post #5   12/15/13 2:10:58PM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,922-1,101
Chips:
McCarthy went a little loopy in the head during the whole Affliction/WAMMA debacle. I've never liked the way he officiates. In my opinion the ref should be as invisible as possible so the fighters' skills are what control the outcome. John's loud, in-your-face style puts him far too much into the limelight and detracts from the fighters. The ref is supposed to be in there to enforce the rules and protect the fighters not to be a 'character' for the cameras.

Post #6   12/15/13 5:29:13PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,993-957
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:

Posted by VILLIN

McCarthy went a little loopy in the head during the whole Affliction/WAMMA debacle. I've never liked the way he officiates. In my opinion the ref should be as invisible as possible so the fighters' skills are what control the outcome. John's loud, in-your-face style puts him far too much into the limelight and detracts from the fighters. The ref is supposed to be in there to enforce the rules and protect the fighters not to be a 'character' for the cameras.

You mean the 2 second "Let's get it on" schtick followed by up to 15 minutes of flawless and unobtrusive refereeing?

Post #7   12/15/13 8:04:53PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,143-679
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by VILLIN

You mean the 2 second "Let's get it on" schtick followed by up to 15 minutes of flawless and unobtrusive refereeing?

or creating a school for refs and judges? Or speaking out on how inept and incompetent NSAC and Keizer is?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   12/15/13 8:48:12PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,850-1,476
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by VILLIN

or creating a school for refs and judges? Or speaking out on how inept and incompetent NSAC and Keizer is?

Yes all of that

Post #9   12/15/13 8:59:23PM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,922-1,101
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by VILLIN

No I mean the constant shouting of commands at the fighters, the lectures he feels the need to give one of the fighters every time he separates the action and the several injuries he has caused by full out tackling fighters while stopping a fight. I don't deny that he makes less screw ups than other referees but you'd have to be blind and deaf to think he's unobtrusive.

Post #10   12/15/13 9:01:58PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:1,142-600
Chips:

Posted by VILLIN

To each his own, but I would prefer a vocal and firm referee 10 times out of 10 over a silent and awkward referee.

Last edited 12/16/13 1:48AM server time by michael_corleone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   12/16/13 1:47:31AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Chips:
I agree that obtrusive referrers are bad, but I disagree that McCarthy is one.

It seems to me like a lot of the newer refs are obsessed with stand ups.

If I hear "lets work" or "improve your position" when the guys have been on the ground for less than 60 seconds, it makes me want to rip my hair out.

Post #12   12/16/13 10:43:51AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,143-679
Chips:

Posted by VILLIN

No I mean the constant shouting of commands at the fighters, the lectures he feels the need to give one of the fighters every time he separates the action and the several injuries he has caused by full out tackling fighters while stopping a fight. I don't deny that he makes less screw ups than other referees but you'd have to be blind and deaf to think he's unobtrusive.

when has this happened?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #13   12/16/13 6:09:28PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:1,142-600
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by VILLIN

when has this happened?

The only time I can think of is UFC 10, I believe. He broke Brian Johnston's nose by accident after a brutal knockout.

Post #14   12/16/13 7:11:09PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:506-312
Chips:

Posted by Michael_Corleone

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by VILLIN

when has this happened?

The only time I can think of is UFC 10, I believe. He broke Brian Johnston's nose by accident after a brutal knockout.

I really want to see a gif of this.

Post #15   12/17/13 2:25:02AM