Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Georges St. Pierre wasn't wanted at UFC 167 post-fight presser, never went to hospital

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After a media call was announced from Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) to make sure it was the source to break Georges St. Pierre's quasi-retirement plans, "Rush" then answered a few questions in-person at a Quebec City press conference before an autograph signing. The former champion, who vacated his title, reveals that UFC personnel tried to stop him from attending the UFC 167 post-fight press conference.

Link

Post #1   12/14/13 1:51:12AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Very interesting. It sounds like GSP, right, but it's a weird situation.

GSP is handling this the best that I can expect. He's still classy, he's still respectful, but he's definitely speaking his mind and letting folks know his perspective. He remains one of the more complex and dignified fighters, and as I said in the other thread, I'm glad he's taking the time to heal and make a final decision with a clear head.

I don't necessarily think whoever was responsible for wanting to keep GSP away from the press conference had ill intent. If it was Dana, I believe he was doing it (at least in part) to protect a kid who just got his brain rattled. Part of it could've been due to anger, but I think it was also rooted in empathy. And it could've been a staffer trying to keep a lid on things, someone who fed Dana incorrect info about GSP's well-being at the time.

The one thing that stood out to me is that GSP notes he was okay after the fight, but in the press conference he admitted he got hit pretty hard. It's entirely possible something was lost in translation, or that he was just buying some time regarding his future. Again, I don't think this is shady, but today's events are cementing this whole saga as the MMA story of the year to me.

One last note: I think it's funny that a few are trying to take Dana to task about sandbagging the content of the announcement. Sure, maybe GSP didn't tell Dana everything in advance, but I believe most i it was discussed in private first - and with that in mind, do you really think Dana's gonna break the story early just because there's a mic in his face? Of course not. Sticking with the bit about the mall was the right call, since the real information was GSP's to disclose.

Last edited 12/14/13 3:39AM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a
5 total post edits

Post #2   12/14/13 3:30:20AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 35-47

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,449-941
Chips:
Crooked ass UFC

Post #3   12/14/13 5:44:49AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,771-1,522
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
WAR St Pierre

Post #4   12/14/13 6:04:46AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Pretty disrespectful to a legend of the sport

Than again UFC did piss off

Couture
Rampage
Ortiz

Post #5   12/14/13 8:44:45AM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Chips:

I don't necessarily think whoever was responsible for wanting to keep GSP away from the press conference had ill intent. If it was Dana, I believe he was doing it (at least in part) to protect a kid who just got his brain rattled. Part of it could've been due to anger, but I think it was also rooted in empathy. And it could've been a staffer trying to keep a lid on things, someone who fed Dana incorrect info about GSP's well-being at the time.

It sounds more like Dana and company were trying to keep GSP away from the conference in case he tried announcing his retirement. As much as I'd like to believe Dana had GSP's best intentions at heart, we all know he thinks of GSP as his Canadian cash cow and he'll do everything he can to keep GSP on the roster for as long as possible. Now that GSP's leave is official Dana has completely changed his tune on the situation.

Post #6   12/14/13 10:40:52AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Chips:
Yeah, not too impressed by how Dana has handled this whole thing.

As a whole, Dana lie to switch public perception in his favor. The problem is that hes done it so much over the years that people see through the shit now.

Post #7   12/14/13 3:21:15PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Poor handling of this situation. Poor handling of the Askren situation. Dana and company don't look too good lately.

Last edited 12/14/13 3:28PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   12/14/13 3:27:57PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
This is an interesting story. Glad he retired for now UFC is one bad publicity after another but atleast we hear about it how many crazy s**** go on in basketball baseball football and we never hear abou tit at least there transparent.

Post #9   12/14/13 4:11:15PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Follow-up from the post-fight press conference just now, all this according to Dana -

-- It was UFC PR personnel who informed Dana that GSP was on the way to the hospital

-- The folks who were telling GSP he couldn't go to the press conference were doctors, and that UFC personnel don't tell fighters (least of all GSP) that they can't go

-- No blame is being assigned to GSP here, just that something was lost in translation

It's unquestionably a "he said / she said" situation, but I think the other side is worth calling out.

Post #10   12/15/13 12:26:50AM