Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Clay Guida wuz robbed, yo.

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

I was very happy with the judges scoring this night. IMO Griffin won that fight.
As everybody else I scored the 1st rd. to Griffin and 2nd to Guida.

In the third Griffin was getting the better and almost dominating the stand-up and also landed a few semi-hard blows on the mat. Up until about 2:30.. the fight was his. Then Guida maintained top control for the rest of the fight but IMO did nothing with it. He didn't land any significant strikes and wasn't close with any submission attempts.
In the end he flurried a bit but that was more of a panic flurry than anything damaging but that was his highlight of the round IMO.

Since people tend to judge on what they last saw they think Guida won that fight but I agree with the judges.
Griffin controlled the first half standing up
Guida controlled the latter half on the ground.
The difference is that Griffin did more damage and was more active in my opinion.

Agreed!

Post #16   6/17/07 7:48:31AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:

Posted by EvilScott

"Robbed" implies a clear-cut victory that is blatantly given to the wrong fighter. That fight was much too close to be a "robbery". It could have gone either way.

Exactly!

Post #17   6/17/07 9:13:33AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by Stickan

I was very happy with the judges scoring this night. IMO Griffin won that fight.

In the third Griffin was getting the better and almost dominating the stand-up and also landed a few semi-hard blows on the mat. Up until about 2:30.. the fight was his. Then Guida maintained top control for the rest of the fight but IMO did nothing with it. He didn't land any significant strikes and wasn't close with any submission attempts.
In the end he flurried a bit but that was more of a panic flurry than anything damaging but that was his highlight of the round IMO.

Since people tend to judge on what they last saw they think Guida won that fight but I agree with the judges.
The difference is that Griffin did more damage and was more active in my opinion.

Props to you because that is exacxtly what happend. I don't know why it is that the fans and usually judges only think the last minute of a round is what is important? Tyson controlled the round longer taking the fist 3 minutes, and Clay came on for the final two.

Either way this was a great fight, the only one of the night, and there will be no real loser. Both will be back in the UFC, and a rematch could be very apealing.

I totally agree too...Props Stickan

I was gonna say the same,but you beat me to if

Props to Guida too for putting on a hell of a show,and for not complaining at the slightest about the decision even though everyone was booing the decision........I gotta admit,i had Guida winning the last 2 rounds too till i watched the fight again,and the Judges only had 1 look at it...........im sure you noticed that Griffin had won most of the 3rd after rewatching it too(Stickan) just how i did......by saying exactly how griffin started losing at the 2;30 mark.

Naw, havn't rewatched it yet since I watched it about 3-4 am. this morning. It was just that when Guida turned the tables I watched the clock to see how much was remaining in the round and if he had time to still win the fight.
I'm very surprised that Goldberg and especially Rogan were giving it to Guida. I think Goldbergs many comments about "if Guida continues like this he should win the fight, right Joe?" influenced Rogan a bit in the end.

Post #18   6/17/07 9:56:12AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

No, really. I was genuinely shocked when they gave it to Griffin. Clay took the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I thought. I just dunno sometimes...

p.s. It was a great fight. I wasn't disappointed by the decision, just surprised. Looking at this card on paper, I actually thought this might be the best fight of the night, and boy-howdy! The Lightweight division is ka-razy right now.

Post #19   6/17/07 10:23:26AM   

chiefwiggum

MMA Regular

chiefwiggum Avatar

Career:140-72
Camp: whoflungpoo
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Very nice post. Guida did absolutely nothing with top control. In my opinion too much credit is given to a fighter for simply getting a take down. I don't think take downs should count for anything if you do nothing with them.

Post #20   6/17/07 10:36:46AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by chiefwiggum

In my opinion too much credit is given to a fighter for simply getting a take down. I don't think take downs should count for anything if you do nothing with them.

I agree with you to a point, but I think you're going too far with it.

Controlling your opponent is - and should be, imo - part of the game. Clay Guida's performance wasn't unlike Forest Griffin's, in that respect. The main difference between the two fights was that Tyson Griffin was light-years better than Hector Ramirez.

It sometimes seems like wrestling is over-valued when compared to jiu-jitsu, and the argument people make on Tyson's behalf is that Guida actually wasn't controlling the fight. Many people said the same thing about Penn-St. Pierre, which went the other way, and the wrestler got the Decision.

But based on what you're saying here, Jake O'Brien didn't soundly defeat Heath Herring, for instance. That's going overboard, imo.

Post #21   6/17/07 10:52:05AM   

Damien6663

MMA Regular

Damien6663 Avatar

Career:81-26
Chips:
I scored it 2-1 for clay, cant really see how you could do other wise. yes it was close but clay deff won that fight...im not going to cry to much tho since i picked tyson and was given a gift for my record LOL!

Post #22   6/17/07 10:15:42PM   

u_f_c

Learning to Sprawl

u_f_c Avatar

Career:155-97
Camp: Team UFC
Chips:
ya, wow is all i can say, i truely think that Guida took all 3 rounds hands down. i said that if Griffin takes it i would be extremely upset. and he did, sure it was a good fight, but Clay was the only one to do anything really.... kinda like the franklin fight for the first 2 rounds.

Post #23   6/17/07 10:58:39PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by u_f_c

ya, wow is all i can say, i truely think that Guida took all 3 rounds hands down. i said that if Griffin takes it i would be extremely upset. and he did, sure it was a good fight, but Clay was the only one to do anything really.... kinda like the franklin fight for the first 2 rounds.

If you thought Guida took the first round, then you were watching a different fight.

Post #24   6/18/07 4:01:10PM   

The_Iceman

Learning to Sprawl

The_Iceman Avatar

Career:904-545
Camp: Dutch Top Team
Chips:
I'm no judge but it looked to me that Guida was the better fighter..

My score: 29-28 Guida

Post #25   6/18/07 4:07:15PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by chiefwiggum

Guida did absolutely nothing with top control. In my opinion too much credit is given to a fighter for simply getting a take down. I don't think take downs should count for anything if you do nothing with them.

But regardless, he had top control... While he might have done nothing, why would you award the round to Tyson, where he equally did nothing, but did while in a less advantageous position?

I thought the fight was really close, and the TD and control in the end of the 3rd gave Guida a close edge... It's kind of the opposite of the split dec that Tito got over Forrest... In that instance the TD was what swung the judges in his favor, and in this fight it didn't count for as much...

It's a shame that judging is inconsistent, but as is life... At least we got to see a good fight, even though I had a ton of cash on Clay (OK, well not a ton but enough to make me yell at the TV when the dec was ruled)

Post #26   6/18/07 4:09:15PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
even griffin thought he lost, after the fight he looked tired and dissapointed while Guida was running circles around the octagon. Griffin had the first minute of the 3rd but the rest was Guida, Guida wanted it more and should of got the decision.

Post #27   6/18/07 7:20:05PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't know why people always use the argument that the fighter himself thought he lost. When you're in the ring getting hit and throwing punches it may seem strange, but you actually don't have as objective a viewpoint as a bunch of judges sitting on the outside able to view the fight from multiple vantage points. It's no coincidence that all 3 judges scored the bout the same, he won it.

I find myself agreeing with the judges every time there's a debate about a close decision... starnes/leben, this fight, griffin/ortiz... I don't see a lack of consistency at all.

Post #28   6/18/07 9:14:09PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I've watched it 4 times now, great fight, and I still think Stickan had it right. Griffin won the 1rst and 3rd in my book. 29-28 Griffin for me.

Last edited 6/19/07 12:04PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #29   6/19/07 11:33:38AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

No, really. I was genuinely shocked when they gave it to Griffin. Clay took the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I thought. I just dunno sometimes...

I agree. The fight wasn't one sided, but I really felt he deserved the win with no esception.

Post #30   6/19/07 11:56:29AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3