Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

I just talked to Terry Martin and Shonie Carter

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
They were guests at the bar where I watched the payperview in Chicago.

Some notable comments from Shonie...
1) I still have some fights left on my contract with UFC... I want to fight Serra, beat him and then retire with the belt.
2) Rashad will easily beat Tito because he'll take it to the ground and is a better wrestler
3) I've sparred with Chuck in training back in the day and I would never advance on him, I'd have him advance on me and I would throw straight punches which were effective... so I wasn't surprised that Rampage beat him.

Some notable comments from Terry...
1) I was supposed to fight Rich Franklin recently but he was ducking me.
2) I think they will have me fight Okami now.
3) I think Rampage will KO Henderson and then Henderson will drop to 185. I'd be really excited to fight him and think I could win.
4) I think the UFC will throw all the Pride belts away.
5) All of the fighters are smaller than you think... they have me listed at 5'9 but I'm really 5'7... Rampage is a much bigger guy than Henderson... the physically biggest fighter at 205 is Tito.
6) CroCop is not a well rounded fighter and isn't effective if somebody is advancing on him.

I've got a picture of me talking to him if anybody wants to see it.

Post #1   6/16/07 7:02:43PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Martin needs to get his ego in check or he will make a fool of himself one day.

Post #2   6/16/07 7:12:29PM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
why would franklin duck martin, but not okami, when okami is amuch better fighter, martin is full of crap.

Post #3   6/16/07 7:23:01PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Mayo
5) All of the fighters are smaller than you think... they have me listed at 5'9 but I'm really 5'7... Rampage is a much bigger guy than Henderson... the physically biggest fighter at 205 is Tito.

See, I find that very interesting. That's exactly what WWE does. I understand trying to make everything bigger than life but that takes it a little too far in my opinion. I wonder if it's everyone or just a choice few.

Good stuff man, thanks for posting. Terry is a monster at that weight, hope he gets a step up in comp in his next fight.

Post #4   6/16/07 7:28:34PM   

blkssncpt

MMA Regular

Career:434-334
Chips:
man, martin is just full of shit he's nuts both franklin and okami would destroy him...

Post #5   6/16/07 8:13:48PM   

DangerousDjohn

MMA Regular

Career:448-248
Chips:
I don't know fellas. I'd love to see Martin and Franklin or Okami.

Post #6   6/16/07 8:27:21PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by blkssncpt

man, martin is just full of shit he's nuts both franklin and okami would destroy him...

Hendo too.

Wtf "Cro Cop not effective when someone is advancing on him" that is just not true. Look at his fights with Coleman and Ron Waterman, both of whom advanced on CC to get the takedown, CC just back up and shot punches at them. Look at his fight with Wanderlei, who tried to get through Cro Cop's reach advantage, he got beaten up the first time and managed to pull a "draw" because of the special rules then he got brutally KO'd the next time.
Peter Aerts in K-1, came right at Cro Cop again and again trying to clinch him, Mirko just pushed him back and punched him everytime he tried to close the distance.

Post #7   6/17/07 5:57:39AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by blkssncpt

I'd love to bet on Terry Martin vs Franklin. He's just the worst possible match-up for Rich out there.
I'd actually bet every single dime I have on Terry. He's got better stand-up with extremely heavy hands that can end the nowadays gunshy Franklins night at any time.
He's definately the better wrestler so if someone gets a takedown, it's Martin and Franklin can't sub him from the bottom.

I definately think Terry would win that fight.

Post #8   6/17/07 10:08:15AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Even though I hate Martin's personality, I have to admit that he is a force at 185lbs. He got owned at 205lbs but this drop really helped him out.

Post #9   6/17/07 11:08:46AM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by blkssncpt

I'd love to bet on Terry Martin vs Franklin. He's just the worst possible match-up for Rich out there.
I'd actually bet every single dime I have on Terry. He's got better stand-up with extremely heavy hands that can end the nowadays gunshy Franklins night at any time.
He's definately the better wrestler so if someone gets a takedown, it's Martin and Franklin can't sub him from the bottom.

Terry Martin doesn't have better stand up than Rich. Look at the Martin/Irvin fight. Terry wouldn't even stand with Irvin. How do can you say Rich can't submit from the bottom?

Post #10   6/17/07 11:47:49AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by kaduey

Posted by Stickan

Posted by blkssncpt

Terry Martin doesn't have better stand up than Rich. Look at the Martin/Irvin fight. Terry wouldn't even stand with Irvin. How do can you say Rich can't submit from the bottom?

Rich isn't that great of a grappler. He doesn't have a better grappling pedigree than Terry and Terry is short, strong and stocky so he isn't easily submitted by anybody.
Rich's hands are overrated in my opinion. His success standing up in the past is largely thanks to his athletic ability and his courage and willingness to go in there and bang in my opinion.
Just like Forrest, Rich seems to have lost a little bit of that courage now when he has gotten knocked out badly. Against a heavy puncher like Terry I think Rich would get a little hesitant about staying in the pocket and finally Terry would either take him down or land a few heavy strikes on Rich that would take his last confidence.

Since Terry is so short Rich could win the fight by keeping a distance with his jab and using good footwork but I just think the hesitation and lack of confidence against someone like Terry that I think he would have would make him screw up eventually and make a mistake.

Post #11   6/17/07 1:24:47PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Yeah... Terry is one of those guys I'm not betting agianst until he loses. His only real problem might be his cardio since non of his matches have lasted long. I'd like to see him fight Grove in a bit of a freak show match.

Post #12   6/17/07 3:54:26PM   

minnesotafats

Learning to Sprawl

minnesotafats Avatar

Career:398-286
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:
I would gladly pay to see Shonie face off against Serra again. If Serra loses and Shonie wins his next match, maybe it'll happen.

Post #13   6/17/07 8:01:10PM   

Damien6663

MMA Regular

Damien6663 Avatar

Career:81-26
Chips:
Terry is not a good striker...and you think rich is a brawler?? Rich has very good boxing, unlike 90% of the guys in mma he uses footwork and angles. Rich will whoop terry, and if okami can't get him down martin wont. Martin wouldnt stand with irvin, and irvin has medicore standup (some people overate him cause he has power and a good body).

Post #14   6/17/07 10:05:40PM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,752-1,066
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by Damien6663

Terry is not a good striker...

? I think Terry is a very effective striker. 10 of his 16 wins are via KO, that sounds effective to me. Plus he spars with Andrei Arlovski, that can't hurt. Terry said that he is 5'7, so dropping to MW was a great thing to do. He may not be a "technical" striker, but he is a good striker.

Post #15   6/18/07 2:00:43AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2