Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

White: Silva motivated for Weidman, but UFC will ‘talk about’ Roy Jones Jr. fight

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Webbie

Posted by george112

White imo just sees his window of opportunity to make huge money off this closing.

I'll still watch I suppose. White knows that

I think you hit the nail on the head

Uncle Dana wants that big payday. He knows people will watch.

Posted by warglory

Posted by OnyxShadow

While this may have at one point been somewhat intriguing, I don't know how anyone could take this seriously any longer after seeing Silva get outstruck and then knocked out by a wrestler.

You really believe that Silva was out struck? Getting KO'd doesn't mean you were outstruck.

Yeah, I don't agree that Silva was getting "outstruck". I think he just got far too careless.

BTW, I was just living in Portland about two years ago. Small world.

Really? I had no idea anyone else around here was in the area.

Yup. I'm living up north in Island Falls right now, but I'm moving to Florida in about a month.

Posted by warglory

Posted by jae_1833

I disagree, I think getting knocked out cold kind of defines getting out struck. I don't believe in lucky punches when you train to throw that punch for months on end. If (for example) Diaz hit Lombard thirty times and then got KOed after a single shot by your definition Diaz did better in the striking department. I see it as a conflict of styles with Lombard's proving to be more effective in that case.

I agree with your point about style vs style, but Silva Weidman I was not about style, it was about Silva putting his guard down and being cocky, and he paid the price. Weidman could prove all doubters wrong during their next encounter and mop the floor with Silva, but we did not see that in their first foray.

Weidman did look pretty damn good on the ground against Anderson though, nearly catching him in that kneebar.

Post #16   12/11/13 11:05:51PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,830-894
Chips:
Even if you gave only the smallest weight to the knockout itself, Weidman landed about as many strikes as Silva during the fight as a whole with more of them being to the head (Silva had a large number of leg kicks), and Silva at no point landed even a single strike that really hurt Weidman. Of course we don't really know what would have happened if the sequence that ended in Silva getting KO'd didn't occur, but the fight was definitely looking to be in Weidman's favor especially with the ground work factored in.

Post #17   12/12/13 5:41:00PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2