Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gracie Maintains Innocence Regarding CSAC Results.

Print  
Posted By Message

MisFiT

In Full Mount

Career:33-24
Chips:

Of the mixed martial artists that fought June 2 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, MMA pioneer Royce Gracie (Pictures) was likely the last man anyone would have tabbed a steroid user.

However, on Thursday, that veneer was crushed when the California State Athletic Commission revealed the 40-year-old Brazilian tested positive in both "A" and "B" samples for traces of Nandrolone, a commonly used anabolic steroid.

link

Last edited 6/16/07 7:48AM server time by MMA
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   6/15/07 9:03:16PM   

cincyassasin

MMA Regular

cincyassasin Avatar

Career:1,170-865
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:
I gotta believe him at his word........

Post #2   6/15/07 10:20:00PM   

Canadian_MM_EH

Banned

Career:82-58
Chips:
Oh really

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 6/15/07 10:35PM server time by canadian_MM_EH
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   6/15/07 10:33:39PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,219-803
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
god i really hope there is some mistake

Post #4   6/16/07 12:05:19AM   

MrGreeny

MMA Regular

MrGreeny Avatar

Career:511-324
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
I really hate this guy but i don't think he has taken these drugs...
God, i hope he did because i can hate him even more.... just kidding...

Post #5   6/16/07 8:56:26AM   

bdunn

Learning to Sprawl

bdunn Avatar

Career:624-441
Chips:
I hope he didnt do it

Post #6   6/16/07 9:52:54AM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,468-832
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
are you people for real? of course he took them...money makes people do things they would never do and im sure he knew its now or never.

Post #7   6/16/07 5:04:23PM   

akumairon

MMA Regular

Career:77-52
Chips:
awww man that sucks oh well lol iguess that makes sakuraba still the gracie hunter and royce a cheater(I had lots of respect for royce)

Post #8   6/16/07 6:17:52PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
If its true, he did use steroids to enhance his performance into beating sak, then all that i have preached comes into light. The gracies know that theres no easy fight anymore, i wouldnt be surprised if royce did use them, he hasnt exactly been invincible like in his ufc days, since his comeback began in 2000.
Its time he retiered !!!!

Post #9   6/17/07 7:23:35AM   

cincyassasin

MMA Regular

cincyassasin Avatar

Chips:
Nandrolone is a weird substance folks. Just to give you an idea of what you're dealing with, here's a little reminder of a previous incident involving Nandrolone.

"Although his debut ended in success – Marquardt earned a decision victory over UFC veteran Ivan Salaverry – post-fight drug testing controversy led to Marquardt's suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Marquardt tested positive for high levels of nandrolone, which led the commission to file for his suspension. Marquardt maintains that he only used over-the-counter supplements in preparation for his fight – a claim which seems to have been affirmed by a follow-up drug test that found Marquardt to be free of illegal substances. Regardless, Marquardt's suspension was lifted in January 2006.[8]"

Source: Nate Marquardt's Wikipedia entry (if that's not concrete enough you can verify it through several online MMA sources).

Now if this were Boldenone, you can say everything you want to say without any remorse. If it were stanozolol you can say what you will but there are sometimes circumstances where its use can be justified (If I remember correctly, it's often used as a theraputic treatment for fighters that undergo surgery, possibly in combination with other drugs for a speedier recovery).

Before we start putting the Gracie legacy into question

Post #10   6/19/07 11:14:41AM   

fatdevil1982

MMA Regular

fatdevil1982 Avatar

Career:637-417
Camp: WNYMMA
Chips:
Nandrolone use is indirectly detectable in urine tests by testing for the presence of 19-norandrosterone, a metabolite of this molecule. The International Olympic Committee has set a limit of 2 ng per ml of urine as the upper limit, beyond which an athlete is suspected of doping.

Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test. A final possible cause of incorrect urine test results is the presence of metabolites from other anabolic steroids. As a result of the numerous overturned verdicts, the testing procedure was reviewed by UK Sport [1] in 2000.

Post #11   6/19/07 12:19:21PM   

MMA-guy

Learning to Sprawl

Career:18-5
Chips:
Of course he took steroids. The drugs didn't just magically come up on his drug-test. Anyone who believes Royce is a fool. He's old and in a lot of pain. He's needs them

Post #12   6/19/07 8:18:54PM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
Come on of course he took the drugs
now I only question for how long, was he using back in the early days
I used to be a Gracie fan.. but only a coward cheats and I have lost all respect for him...

Post #13   6/22/07 1:47:33PM   

cincyassasin

MMA Regular

cincyassasin Avatar

Chips:
Lets think of all the pros and cons for Royce taking them and it's plain to see it must be a misunderstanding. The only pro is he beats Saku......the cons are endless, he gets fined, stripped of the win, dirties his families legacy, loses respect from fighters and fans......I just don't see it being worth the risk in anyway.

Post #14   6/23/07 8:56:38AM