Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

‘Shogun’ Rua wants UFC to go back to PRIDE rules, says elbows are worse than soccer kicks

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
Shut up and go away Shogun!

Post #16   11/29/13 6:46:11PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Soccer kicks would make Aldo a ppv star

Post #17   11/29/13 6:58:15PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Knees I agree with, but soccer kicks and stomps take no skill. They are on the level of headbutts. It's an easy way to deal damage.

Post #18   11/29/13 9:21:22PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Here's how I'd like to see it:

1. No knees or kicks to a fighter on his back.
2. Allow knees and kicks to a fighter on his knees.

This way, you don't have stomping or the most brutal kind of knees. But you can still have soccer kicks if a guy is dumb enough to chill on his knees in front of you. You can still knee a guy when he shoots for a take down. A guy on his back can still use upkicks even if the guy on top goes down to his knees.

I think its the perfect marriage between the two. It prevents a lot of the most visually disturbing and physically dangerous attacks, but allows limited forms of them to be used strategically in a fight.

Do this and you won't see guys playing games by putting a hand down (though I guess they're already fixing that.) You won't see wrestlers escaping to turtle position as if that's somehow better than side control. You will see Muay Thai fighters stopping a hell of a lot more double legs. And you won't see wonky DQs like Anderson vs Okami 1.

Post #19   11/30/13 1:13:09AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

You will see Muay Thai fighters stopping a hell of a lot more double legs.

^

The judging criteria already favors wrestlers, theres no need for the rules to limit a Strikers options as well.

Post #20   11/30/13 1:39:32PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Here's how I'd like to see it:

1. No knees or kicks to a fighter on his back.
2. Allow knees and kicks to a fighter on his knees.

This way, you don't have stomping or the most brutal kind of knees. But you can still have soccer kicks if a guy is dumb enough to chill on his knees in front of you. You can still knee a guy when he shoots for a take down. A guy on his back can still use upkicks even if the guy on top goes down to his knees.

I think its the perfect marriage between the two. It prevents a lot of the most visually disturbing and physically dangerous attacks, but allows limited forms of them to be used strategically in a fight.

Do this and you won't see guys playing games by putting a hand down (though I guess they're already fixing that.) You won't see wrestlers escaping to turtle position as if that's somehow better than side control. You will see Muay Thai fighters stopping a hell of a lot more double legs. And you won't see wonky DQs like Anderson vs Okami 1.

I agree with most of your rules. They need to get rid of guys dropping a hand down to keep from being kneed. That is nothing more than a stall tactic in a bad position.

I do not get how you think allowing those knees will stop double legs. We have seen knees stop TDs now. The problem with that isn't the rules, it is timing and anticipation. We have seen many KOs on a td attempt (Aldo's big KO and Kos/Fickett come to mind). If the guy is on his knees for a double leg it is too late to hit him with a knee. Maybe against the cage you might be right, but in the middle of the cage its too late for a knee at that point. A rule change isn't going to deter or affect double leg TDs.

Post #21   12/11/13 3:47:37AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2