Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Julianna Pena vs. Jessica Rakoczy, Roxanne Modafferi vs. Raquel Pennington completes TUF 18 Finale lineup

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,256-669
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The 10-bout lineup for Saturday’s TUF 18 Finale now is complete with the official addition of a pair of women’s bantamweight fights.

In the women’s tournament final, Julianna Pena (4-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) takes on Jessica Rakoczy (1-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) to determine the first women’s “Ultimate Fighter” in UFC history. And semifinalist Raquel Pennington (3-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC)
will meet Roxanne Modafferi (15-10 MMA, 0-0 UFC). Both fights will take place on the main card. The bouts became official following Wednesday’s airing of the final regular-season episode of Season 18 of “The Ultimate Fighter” on FOX Sports 1.

Link

Post #1   11/27/13 11:58:36PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,438-812
Chips:
At first I was surprised none of the guys came back but then I tohught about it and there wasn't whole lot of talent from the huys this season in my opinion.
Grant and Holdsworth both could have bright future's at 135, they were easily the best guys. Had Cody Bollinger not missed weight he would have been a nice addition to the bantamweight roster too imo

Post #2   11/28/13 3:05:04AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'm glad all the girls will be on the main card
Good for them

Post #3   11/28/13 7:30:05AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Chips:
Yeah I agree that Holdsworth and Grant are the best 2 guys left and it's good to see them find out who the winner will be.

The thing about Cody Bollinger and Anthony Gutierrez is they fight at 145lbs regularly. They picked a bad time to try and make the cut to Bantamweight. Both guys could probably do the cut but they would need some professional help with it.

For the women I'm hoping they end up signing the 2 that are injured, Sara Moras and Shayna Baszler. I'm thinking that the loser's of Pennington vs Modafferi and Jessamyn Duke vs Peggy Morgan might not get signed.

Post #4   11/28/13 10:02:20AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
I'm interested to see how the ratings turn out for this event.

Post #5   11/28/13 10:59:28AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I'm surprised Beal and Hill aren't invited back. Well Dana hates grapplers so I guess it's not really a surprise Hill isn't fighting.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   11/28/13 11:08:57AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Cody and that prick really screwed the rest of the men on the show because besides Chris vs Grant the only thing that will be remembered from this tuf on the mens side was too failed weight attempts.

If they would have fought and put on a show like the guys last season this card might be different. A successful female show but the men was disappointing.

Pumped for these womans fights. You know Julies gonna go down guns a blazing! And I like Roxanne shes nice but Ihope that choke effort really lights a fire under Pennington because she really has potential.

Post #7   11/28/13 4:39:03PM   

traveller77

MMA Regular

traveller77 Avatar

Career:971-479
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

For the women I'm hoping they end up signing the 2 that are injured, Sara Moras and Shayna Baszler. I'm thinking that the loser's of Pennington vs Modafferi and Jessamyn Duke vs Peggy Morgan might not get signed.

I think Duke and Modafferi will have enough fans out there that the UFC will give either of them a good chance to be successfull. If they put on good fights in losses they should get another crack at it before getting cut.

Post #8   11/28/13 4:46:29PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by traveler77

Posted by JLS1980

I think Duke and Modafferi will have enough fans out there that the UFC will give either of them a good chance to be successfull. If they put on good fights in losses they should get another crack at it before getting cut.

I think Duke wins so hopefully that will seal the deal for here.

The thing about Modafferi is she seems to be on the downside of her career. She's riding a 5 fight losing streak before entering TUF this season. She didn't do much to impress me on the show either. I think this, providing she losses, will be her last run in MMA. Unless she goes to Invicta for some reason. This is just my opinion. She's fought good competition in her career and has a lot of experience but I think that the sport has evolved a bit too much for her at this point in her career.

Post #9   11/28/13 7:16:13PM   

traveller77

MMA Regular

traveller77 Avatar

Career:971-479
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by traveler77

Posted by JLS1980

The thing about Modafferi is she seems to be on the downside of her career. She's riding a 5 fight losing streak before entering TUF this season. She didn't do much to impress me on the show either. I think this, providing she losses, will be her last run in MMA. Unless she goes to Invicta for some reason. This is just my opinion. She's fought good competition in her career and has a lot of experience but I think that the sport has evolved a bit too much for her at this point in her career.

You're right about Modaferri being overmatched at this level. Anyone with takedown defense beats her. She has technique but not athleticism. No one wants to see here getting destroyed. Yeah, if she doesnt win she's probably gone.

Post #10   11/28/13 7:45:08PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:

Posted by traveler77

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by traveler77

Posted by JLS1980

You're right about Modaferri being overmatched at this level. Anyone with takedown defense beats her. She has technique but not athleticism. No one wants to see here getting destroyed. Yeah, if she doesnt win she's probably gone.

I agree she probably is one dimensional but I could also seeing her friendliness getting the best of her too. She seems to get emotionally attached pretty easily so I could see her not trying to hurt her friends.

Duke should win I think. If peggy was as ruthless as peggy hill Iid give her a shot but Duke is relentless as hell.

Post #11   11/28/13 7:50:57PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,479-1,275
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Modafferi may be on a 5 fight losing streak but Pennington's best win isn't as good as any of those 5 fighters, or Modafferi's last win [21-4, Tara LaRosa]. Not a knock on Pennington, just pointing out Roxanne's level of competition the last half decade is right up there with the top female fighters' recent opponents. No shame in her losses as a part-time fighter who has spent significant time living out of the country. Post-TUF she is training as a full-time fighter for the first time and has just moved to Vegas while training with her new fight team for nearly 3 months. Provided her back holds up, her level of competition in the past combined with finally being a full-time fighter with a solid Vegas MMA gym should only lead to good things (though she's better suited for 125). I don't see her being past her prime or too old, though it's easy to make those assumptions after 5 consecutive losses. I think the shift in training location, finally giving the dedication as a full-time fighter, and past high level opponent experience will give us a much different fighter than who just fought on the show, and it should be noticeable in this first post-TUF fight. Usually when a fighter commits to these type of changes we see a much improved more focused fighter, even if it's only been 90 days. We'll see if she can continue that trend.

Post #12   11/29/13 2:42:46AM   

westie4life

Learning to Sprawl

westie4life Avatar

Career:227-136
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
War Modafferi Massive fan of her after seeing the kind of person she is on the show. We need more people like her in the world.

Post #13   11/29/13 6:17:08AM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:1,918-1,308
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:

Posted by DrivenDavies15

At first I was surprised none of the guys came back but then I tohught about it and there wasn't whole lot of talent from the huys this season in my opinion.
Grant and Holdsworth both could have bright future's at 135, they were easily the best guys. Had Cody Bollinger not missed weight he would have been a nice addition to the bantamweight roster too imo

That is crazy, I guess the whole not making weight and the girls just out shining the dudes had a lot to do with it. The two guys I picked in the beginning are fighting so it turned out as I thought. Should be a good one.

Post #14   11/29/13 2:46:07PM